WRX or STI? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wrxaddicted what is overall performance to you, how much money the car is OTD ??? it must ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    what is overall performance to you, how much money the car is OTD ??? it must be. Any stage 4 wrx will walk a stock STi. It does NOT take too much money to get handling/braking of the WRX to surpass stock STi handling/braking.

I don't know where YBNormal07 gets his INFO, but If i posted some of his posts on Nasioc, people would be laughing so hard. I don't care if I get banned. People need to hear facts, not opinions.
    First...why would you get banned? Other than for not truly contributing but just ragging on others. Please try to be a bit more mature.

Second. Did you even read what this thread is about? I've attempted to offer some good info, whereas you seem to be here simply to attack me personally. Sorry...could really care less, but it is fun to have a gun in a knife fight.

Third. I can only dream that you were on the east coast where I would be more than happy to demonstrat to you how a stock STi would demolish a Stage 4 WRX on a road course. But then, I've owned and raced both before, so at least I speak from experience. Whereas you....oh thats right...some friends on Nasioc "said so".

To the original poster....I hope this thread has been of value to you. Please pull out what you consider to be the good stuff and toss the rest. I apologize for an off topic ramblings by myself, but sometimes even I can't resist.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    ok, thats for most people. obviously if you get hooked up with a stupid good deal, well, you're special. here's a cookie.

but could you do all that and retain the warranty? no. (not that there is much of one to begin with, but still)...

the differences in price for this guy are apparently pretty close, a new WRX or used STi for "not much more." I'd say its hands down deal if its in good shape and fits what he wants. if its a $3k difference, could he spend $3k and get the same kind of STi CRUSHING performance YOU could for $10k? no.

was this thread started to see "what is possible, lets just imagine, hmmmm...."? no.

We're trying to help him make a decision, and if there actually was a $10k difference here, your point would actually be worth taking into consideration.

Chill out. He never said he wanted to modify the isht out of it, maybe he wants a car that he doesn't have to do much to. Nobody likes an elitist.
    Well said!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

[QUOTE=lotarg]Everyone is going to shun me for this... but maybe you should check out an Evo XIII... 2 liter engine, amazing handling, stock summer tires that my brother wasn't willing to buy again because of the astronomical price, and power in between a WRX and an STi. Plus they look awesome. I also think they only have 1 catalytic converter stock. They basically come with everything needed for the track. The WRX is definitely not optimal in that sense, and the STi comes with as restrictive a turboback exhaust as the WRX. I'm still probably going to get an STi as my next car and put my shorty downpipe and catback from my WRX on it. In all honesty, though, I prefer the 5 spd tranny (on WRX & Evo); you feel like the revs just keep going and going and going. Forgot to mention, the STi feels like you are driving a truck, the Evo does not.

Good luck[/QUOTE

EVO XIII? VIII? From what I can gather about the Evo is that Mistubishi put all it's time and effort in the engine to make it modable but forgot about the rest of the car. From what I've heard from people that have one is that they've had nothing but problems with parts of the interior and very uncomfortable seats after just a short drive. I mean it's definitely up there with the STI, but I think all around you get a bit more comfort with the STI and better qualty in make.

Quote Originally Posted by XimportncWRX

EVO XIII? VIII? From what I can gather about the Evo is that Mistubishi put all it's time and effort in the engine to make it modable but forgot about the rest of the car. From what I've heard from people that have one is that they've had nothing but problems with parts of the interior and very uncomfortable seats after just a short drive. I mean it's definitely up there with the STI, but I think all around you get a bit more comfort with the STI and better qualty in make.
    3mos and no issues yet, about the only problem I hear of consistantly is when someone burns their stock clutch out quickly. OMG you can't beat on a car with a stock clutch? POS!!!RT

Also, yes it can be an uncomfortable ride at times. I drove 600 miles in mine this past weekend and it didn't bother me.

Oops mean VIII... silly Roman numerals. I don't think Evo's are at a lower level than STi''s at all. What I speak is from my brother's car. He's never complained and doesn't regret not getting an Evo. I've driven it a few times and it drives very nicely. Seats are fine to me; I really like them, and interior has had no problems. Anyway most sportscar interiors are very simple. It's just ironic that you say Mitsubishi put all their time into the engine when I just said before how ridiculously expensive the stock tires they have on them are. Subaru puts on subpar ones and Mitsu puts on ones that are significantly more expensive than Goodyear Eagle F1's. I'm not trying to point out which is "better" anyway, I'm just saying it's not fair to block out all other options but Imprezas.

I'll throw my hat in this ring.
    As for the 06 WRX, I've read that it has the same EJ25 that came in the Forrester XT. If this is correct, isn't that also the same block as the STi? If I'm wrong in that assumption, just disregard the rest of what I'm about to type. If the engines are the same, that means that the 06 WRX engine has a lot of potential. A catless exhaust, new turbo, and new intercooler (with all supporting mods) would put the 06 WRX on a par with most modded STi's out there. Also, the 06 WRX has much better brakes than the previous WRX models. The suspension would need tweeked a little of course, but not too much. The STi is a great car, but I think the 06 WRX has come a long way indeed. If I didn't love my 02 WRX so much, I'd be tempted to trade it in for a new 06 WRX.
    There's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

psycho
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Everything I've read about the EVOs say they are incredible cars, smooth, predictable, fast, great seats, and a bit better behaved in the corners than the STi. Most of this is subjective to driver style and preference, but they have all been consistent reviews. The only bad thing I consistently hear is that the interior feels cheap. Other than that I hear they are incredibly competent.

The STi on the other hand, has its wicked torque, slightly nicer interior, a bit more daily driver comfort, rock solid transmission, and not-so-racer-boy looks.. And with an exhaust, you get that unmistakeable boxer rumble..

I believe the EVO's "engine focus" is because they've used that block for ages, so there's gobs of mods avaliable for it.

Anyways, lets not have this thread turn into another STi vs EVO bashfest.
    Dave
    01 RS

The STi on the other hand, has its wicked torque, slightly nicer interior, a bit more daily driver comfort, rock solid transmission, and not-so-racer-boy looks.. And with an exhaust, you get that unmistakeable boxer rumble..
    The evo used to be ahead with altezza's & a huge wing versus just a huge wing, now it's that against two wings and a set of semi-altezza's :P

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    The evo used to be ahead with altezza's & a huge wing versus just a huge wing, now it's that against two wings and a set of semi-altezza's :P
    The EVO has fins. so they're ahead by half an altezza.
    Dave
    01 RS

you mean MR?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    you mean MR?
    is that the only one with the fins? then, yes...
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    First...why would you get banned? Other than for not truly contributing but just ragging on others. Please try to be a bit more mature.

Second. Did you even read what this thread is about? I've attempted to offer some good info, whereas you seem to be here simply to attack me personally. Sorry...could really care less, but it is fun to have a gun in a knife fight.

Third. I can only dream that you were on the east coast where I would be more than happy to demonstrat to you how a stock STi would demolish a Stage 4 WRX on a road course. But then, I've owned and raced both before, so at least I speak from experience. Whereas you....oh thats right...some friends on Nasioc "said so".

To the original poster....I hope this thread has been of value to you. Please pull out what you consider to be the good stuff and toss the rest. I apologize for an off topic ramblings by myself, but sometimes even I can't resist.

LOL I think I accidentally opened a can of worms here. Sorry. This is all great stuff though and I don't mind seeing everyone's opinion on the matter. This probably one of the best forums on cars I have seen and you guys are really helpful. Thanks for all the info. I really think the STI is gonna be my choice. I'll always be kicking myself otherwise. I'll post some pics when I get it. I'm sure I'll be like every other nube and have a bunch of questions when I buy it, so I'll be posting again.
    Last edited by Chez; 09-22-2005 at 02:09 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    is that the only one with the fins? then, yes...
    nah...the STi out "altezza'd" the Evo this year....it even has "fins" underneath the rear!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by Chez
    LOL I think I accidentally opened a can of worms here. Sorry. This is all great stuff though and I don't mind seeing everyone's opinion on the matter. This probably one of the best forums on cars I have seen and you guys are really helpful. Thanks for all the info. I really think the STI is gonna be my choice. I'll always be kicking myself otherwise. I'll post some pics when I get it. I'm sure I'll be like every other nube and have a bunch of questions when I buy it, so I'll be posting again.
    Dave
    01 RS

Trust me dude, it's not just a little car part you're deciding on; it's tens of thousands of dollars... Just test drive them. My brother was going to get the STi until he drove the Evo. Don't even limit yourself to three cars. Test drive as many as you can, and then once you decide on whatever one, you will have no regrets and no second-thoughts on your decision.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast