WRX or STI? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Chez yea I'm pretty sure this is what would happen to me if I bought a WRX. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chez
    yea I'm pretty sure this is what would happen to me if I bought a WRX. everytime i saw a STI, I would get jealous too... Besides you only live once. I think I'm just gonna go for the STI. Now all I need to do is to decide the color......
    Aspen White / Gold BBS.

Offical White Thread (billions of white WRXs and STi pictures)

looks AMAAAAAAAZING. Its so beautiful in person. everything just flows so well on it, along with the interior and even the cherry red *cough* pink.. STi stickers all over it.

But im a big subaru fan so I went for the clique World Rally Blue w/ Gold Rims. Car stands out a lot, its by far the best looking blue Ive ever seen on a production car and Gold rims... ya... its odd, but its Classic Subaru. Stands out in a parking lot ^_^ who else makes Gold rims stock with a car??? I know!! its krazy!!! no one does! (unless someone could prove me wrong..)
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'm kinda thinking about black with gunmetal rims......

I Support ClubWRX
    YBNormal07, thanks for that reply, you've got alot of good info in there, it helped out alot. I think I'm going to go with the STI. I can live with the suspension being a little firm, I have test driven it and don't think it's bad. A bonus to that is that my wife said "I dont think I will ever want to drive that car. It's too bumpy" SCORE!! My car all to myself!!

You said you are from the NE. How is the STI in the snow? The AWD is great, but has it got too much power to weight ratio, so you lose traction at every start? I have a 240SX (rearwheel) and it slides all over in the snow, no matter what I do. After doing doughnuts at 60 mph down the middle of 95, I want get away from that.

I can't get past the ugly front end on the 06.
    With some good snows, a well driven STi is likely more capable than most supposed 4x4 vehicles out there. Incredible amounts of traction in the snow...promotes a much more secure feeling. Of course...you still have to stop and that is where more cars are equal on snow or ice.

STi (or WRX or Legacy) + Snow = PLAYTIME!!!!!!! We own the roads and large parking lots come winter time!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    With a TMIC and turbo swap, to a VF39, UP/DP and exhaust, and some EM, you are now at stock STi power levels.

you are kidding right??? the 2.0 WRX with VF39, up/dp, exhaust, and EM will put down around 280 WHP on pump gas. a stock STi puts down 240 WHP. the 06 with the 2.5 will put down around 300 WHP with that setup. That setup on either an old or a new 06 WRX will bring the power way above stock STi levels. Can I have a prescription for what you're taking?

Last edited by wrxaddicted; 09-21-2005 at 01:28 PM.

You said you are from the NE. How is the STI in the snow? The AWD is great, but has it got too much power to weight ratio, so you lose traction at every start? .

let's just say you will definately need different tires when winter rolls around.

Everyone is going to shun me for this... but maybe you should check out an Evo XIII... 2 liter engine, amazing handling, stock summer tires that my brother wasn't willing to buy again because of the astronomical price, and power in between a WRX and an STi. Plus they look awesome. I also think they only have 1 catalytic converter stock. They basically come with everything needed for the track. The WRX is definitely not optimal in that sense, and the STi comes with as restrictive a turboback exhaust as the WRX. I'm still probably going to get an STi as my next car and put my shorty downpipe and catback from my WRX on it. In all honesty, though, I prefer the 5 spd tranny (on WRX & Evo); you feel like the revs just keep going and going and going. Forgot to mention, the STi feels like you are driving a truck, the Evo does not.

Good luck
    Last edited by lotarg; 09-21-2005 at 02:57 PM.

I noted that someone posted earlier that just a TBE and EM will get you to STi power levels. I don't believe this is correct. If someone would car to post a dyno plot proving this, I'll gladly apologize.

a good ECUtek/Utec tuned stage 2 WRX (02-05 model years) will provide almost the same wheel HP as a stock STi . It's about 230whp vs. 240whp. The WRX being lighter, and having taller gears makes up for that extra 10WHP. I have met several people on Nasioc that break into the 12s at stage 2.

The 06 WRX at stage 2, might even surpass stock STi power levels, while being lighter.

Yes, a stage 4 WRX will surpass an STi in some categories, but in overall performance, it's night and day difference.
    what is overall performance to you, how much money the car is OTD ??? it must be. Any stage 4 wrx will walk a stock STi. It does NOT take too much money to get handling/braking of the WRX to surpass stock STi handling/braking.

I don't know where YBNormal07 gets his INFO, but If i posted some of his posts on Nasioc, people would be laughing so hard. I don't care if I get banned. People need to hear facts, not opinions.
    Last edited by wrxaddicted; 09-21-2005 at 03:23 PM.

overall he said. and getting a WRX to stage 4 is a lot of work. nearly any car can outperform anything else if its modded enough, keep it realistic.

OVERALL, the STi is a MUCH more competent package, and can still be tuned to outperform a WRX beyond its limits. for the same amount of money you'd put into a WRX to get to the STi level, it would be silly unless you like lots of hard work and doing everything yourself. The WHOLE PACKAGE is much more stout, better struts, stiffer/lower springs, better gauges, better wheels, better tires, bigger engine, bigger turbo, bigger ic, MUCH BETTER transmission with a better power distribution, and an electronically controlled center diff and a limited slip rear diff... thats one hell of a package that a WRX cannot match for the same price.

I drive my GF's WRX and my STi. its NiGHT AND DAY. Hers is an 05, bone stock 5mt wagon. my STi has only a turboback, and a handful of suspnesion mods. the cars feel so incredibly different its ridiculous. I wouldn't change the exhilaration I get from driving this thing for the world.

The STi does INCREDIBLY well in the snow. get some good snow tires and you'll be amazed with its cababilities.

I don't care if i pay more per month in the long run, I love every second of it.

and whoever said the STi feels like a truck...
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    the same amount of money you'd put into a WRX to get to the STi level

I saved 10 grand buying my new WRX, rather than an STi (not including insurance savings). With that 10 grand, I can make my WRX much faster, handle better, and out brake a stock STi and still have money left over. END OF STORY.

I'm done with this thread.

Peace.

ok, thats for most people. obviously if you get hooked up with a stupid good deal, well, you're special. here's a cookie.

but could you do all that and retain the warranty? no. (not that there is much of one to begin with, but still)...

the differences in price for this guy are apparently pretty close, a new WRX or used STi for "not much more." I'd say its hands down deal if its in good shape and fits what he wants. if its a $3k difference, could he spend $3k and get the same kind of STi CRUSHING performance YOU could for $10k? no.

was this thread started to see "what is possible, lets just imagine, hmmmm...."? no.

We're trying to help him make a decision, and if there actually was a $10k difference here, your point would actually be worth taking into consideration.

Chill out. He never said he wanted to modify the isht out of it, maybe he wants a car that he doesn't have to do much to. Nobody likes an elitist.
    Dave
    01 RS

I said it feels like a truck. Did you lower yours? I've driven my lowered WRX, the Evo XIII, plenty of sedans, and plenty of SUV's. I drove my friend's STi the other day and it feels like a truck with awesome handling. I'm probably just used to my lowered WRX, but the Evo XIII with stock springs doesn't feel like you are sitting as high up as the STi... the high up feeling was the first thing I noticed in the car. Hey, on the positive side, the second thing I noticed was how I didn't notice how fast I was going!

Poster of this thread: Test drive an Evo XIII or newer model, the STi, and a modified WRX if you can find one. Compare prices. The decision should be easy; you'll get attached to a particular one.

Quote Originally Posted by lotarg
    I said it feels like a truck. Did you lower yours? I've driven my lowered WRX, the Evo XIII, plenty of sedans, and plenty of SUV's. I drove my friend's STi the other day and it feels like a truck with awesome handling. I'm probably just used to my lowered WRX, but the Evo XIII with stock springs doesn't feel like you are sitting as high up as the STi... the high up feeling was the first thing I noticed in the car. Hey, on the positive side, the second thing I noticed was how I didn't notice how fast I was going!

Poster of this thread: Test drive an Evo XIII or newer model, the STi, and a modified WRX if you can find one. Compare prices. The decision should be easy; you'll get attached to a particular one.
    haha ok, trucks typically handle like isht, i thought thats what you meant, not the seating position... you do sit up pretty high. i like the visibility, i guess its bred from the rally heritage.. yeah mine sits on prodrive springs, so its about 1" lower than stock. The EVO may feel lower because the body is larger by several inches, it could make you feel smaller i guess.. unless you actually do sit lower.

I'd like to drop the seat a couple inches and tilt the lower cushion backward about 5 more degrees... I might see if I can fabricate/modify the existing bracket.
    Dave
    01 RS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted

you are kidding right??? the 2.0 WRX with VF39, up/dp, exhaust, and EM will put down around 280 WHP on pump gas. a stock STi puts down 240 WHP. the 06 with the 2.5 will put down around 300 WHP with that setup. That setup on either an old or a new 06 WRX will bring the power way above stock STi levels. Can I have a prescription for what you're taking?

Yeah, I misspoke. My apologies. Thanks for being such a good sport about it
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted

a good ECUtek/Utec tuned stage 2 WRX (02-05 model years) will provide almost the same wheel HP as a stock STi . It's about 230whp vs. 240whp. The WRX being lighter, and having taller gears makes up for that extra 10WHP. I have met several people on Nasioc that break into the 12s at stage 2.

The 06 WRX at stage 2, might even surpass stock STi power levels, while being lighter.
    Hmmm...and where did I misspeak here? I believe I said it wouldn't get you to STi levels, and you just confirmed it for me. Thanks for the support
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast