WRX or STI? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; no, i havn't actually raced yet although i attend alot. im talking mainly about auto-x by the way. dragging a ...

no, i havn't actually raced yet although i attend alot. im talking mainly about auto-x by the way. dragging a WRX is a waste. this is my first nice car (college bills and beater cars until now) and i want to get involved in the sport with something that stands a chance.
    Last edited by Chez; 09-20-2005 at 03:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NO chance I'm going to buy a 06, that car is ugly.......

Quote Originally Posted by Chez
    no, i havn't actually raced yet although i attend alot. im talking mainly about auto-x by the way. dragging a WRX is a waste. this is my first nice car (college bills and beater cars until now) and i want to get involved in the sport with something that stands a chance.
    If you seriously want to get involved in the sport then get an 05 STi. and be prepared to spend a lot of money, hope you are single and / or have a really great paying job cause Auto-X can get quite pricey once the bug hits you.

case closed.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

NO chance I'm going to buy a 06, that car is ugly.......
    hahaha.. true, you can always do a 02-03 or 04-05 front end swap though.

wouldnt be that expensive.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

That link you sent is really good info. Thanks for the help.

The new WRX has the 2.5L engine in it(which has a lot more power potential) as well as the seats that the '05 STI had in it. You can also get the limited package with leather/heated seats and windshield washer deicer(which might come in handy in that snow). the STI doesn't have that option. Go pick up the latest Subisport magazine and read the reviews on the new ones. I'd personally go with the WRX if you're looking for a better street ride and use the money you save from the STI to mod it. I love the STI, I'd love to have one, but if you're not wanting to go balls to the wall it's kinda pointless.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the 06 is a great car, has a bigger engine, etc. It is really ugly though. It reminds me of something Hyundai would make.

I would get the sti simply for the 6-speed tranny. Since you plan on autocrossing, I would just get the sti. You would have all the necessary goodies to race (tranny, suspension, bremo brakes) right out of the box, as oppose to the wrx, where you would have to upgrade tires (possibly wheels, as well as suspension components).

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the 06 is a great car, has a bigger engine, etc. It is really ugly though. It reminds me of something Hyundai would make.
    yeah I'm not a big fan either. Check out the new subie sport, first tiem I've seen pics that I thought it didn't look too bad. Too bad the front end is completely ripped from Suzuki though!

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    I would get the sti simply for the 6-speed tranny. Since you plan on autocrossing, I would just get the sti. You would have all the necessary goodies to race (tranny, suspension, bremo brakes) right out of the box, as oppose to the wrx, where you would have to upgrade tires (possibly wheels, as well as suspension components).
    still gonna have to replace the tires. From what I hear the tires on the STI aren't much better than the RE 92s

STI for sure. Ive had both, once I had my bugeye about 2 months later I wanted an STI. Once I picked it up well I havent stopped smiling when I drive it unless there is a left lane squatter. Its just an all around better car.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is always a sujbective question, and has been asked in many different forms many times, but I'll wade in anyway.

Before purchasing either, be sure you understand your own needs. For long term daily driving, you might find the STi a bit jarring after a while. I did. With our crappy roads up here in the NE, it just became tiresome to be bouncing around, especially over swollen road strips across highway bridges.

If your main goal is to have a car that will perform well, especially in an autox environment, the STi's 6 speed will go a long way towards achieving that goal.

If you want something for all around fun, but still doesn't beat up on you at times, the new WRX with it's 2.5 block is pretty attractive. It is the exact same engine as the STi only with different TMIC, turbo, associated plumbing, and of course, the wrinkle red finish on the intake manifold. The cams are the same BTW (I noted someone brought that up earlier). With a TMIC and turbo swap, to a VF39, UP/DP and exhaust, and some EM, you are now at stock STi power levels.

I noted that someone posted earlier that just a TBE and EM will get you to STi power levels. I don't believe this is correct. If someone would car to post a dyno plot proving this, I'll gladly apologize.

It's been discussed a lot, but essentially, the whole package of each car needs to be considered when making this decision. Yes, you can upgrade a WRX to equal an STi in all levels of performance. But in the end, will it all work as well? It's hard to say as parts quality and install quality will play a major part, especially when it comes to the suspension components.

Driving them back to back will probably make your decision for you. It did for me. Even a very well modded WRX never felt as good overall to me as a stock STi did. Yes, a stage 4 WRX will surpass an STi in some categories, but in overall performance, it's night and day difference.

As for concerns about buying a used STi, I noted another comment that used "boosted" cars may not be a wise choice. With the STi, as long as you get a compression check done and everything comes out good, you are good to go. Everything on that car is rock solid. Issues with an engine going bad are very rare, and almost always associated with tuning issues or improper setups (which when you think about it, is usually the case with just about every car). The clutch, tranny, diffs, and shafts are all extra tough, with very few cases of anyone breaking any of these items. Quite remarkable considering the abuse they probably take and that they have been over here for over 2 years now.

If you can get a used STi for about the same price as a new WRX, I personally think it's a no-brainer. Even if it is 2k above the WRX, the STi is still the better bargain.

All I can say is that in my experience, there isn't another car out there (maybe the Evo) that you can dump less than 3K into and be able to soundly stomp a Porsche 911 on a road course. With the new WRX (2.5) and a good driver, it may be a contender though, so don't rule it out. A used VF39 and TMIC can be had for around 700 bucks, so add that on to a TBE and EM, you are still under the 3K. But it won't handle, steer, or brake like an STi without a lot more money.

I'm done.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGuam
    STI for sure. Ive had both, once I had my bugeye about 2 months later I wanted an STI. Once I picked it up well I havent stopped smiling when I drive it unless there is a left lane squatter. Its just an all around better car.
    yea I'm pretty sure this is what would happen to me if I bought a WRX. everytime i saw a STI, I would get jealous too... Besides you only live once. I think I'm just gonna go for the STI. Now all I need to do is to decide the color......

YBNormal07, thanks for that reply, you've got alot of good info in there, it helped out alot. I think I'm going to go with the STI. I can live with the suspension being a little firm, I have test driven it and don't think it's bad. A bonus to that is that my wife said "I dont think I will ever want to drive that car. It's too bumpy" SCORE!! My car all to myself!!

You said you are from the NE. How is the STI in the snow? The AWD is great, but has it got too much power to weight ratio, so you lose traction at every start? I have a 240SX (rearwheel) and it slides all over in the snow, no matter what I do. After doing doughnuts at 60 mph down the middle of 95, I want get away from that.

I can't get past the ugly front end on the 06.
    Last edited by Chez; 09-21-2005 at 08:57 AM.

yea I'm pretty sure this is what would happen to me if I bought a WRX. everytime i saw a STI, I would get jealous too... Besides you only live once. I think I'm just gonna go for the STI. Now all I need to do is to decide the color......
    haha, happens to me all the time. I was actually sitting down at one of the lots talking about a WRX when a they brought in a new used STI to get check out. My mouth was watering! So my goal: Win the lotery, pay off the rest of my car, trade it in, by STI! I'll let ya know when it happens

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast