I wanna rex!

This is a discussion on I wanna rex! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, new to the board. I've gone from a Grand Am (16.2@83) to a Tiburon (15.6@89), but I've always had ...

I wanna rex!

Hello, new to the board. I've gone from a Grand Am (16.2@83) to a Tiburon (15.6@89), but I've always had my eye on the WRX Wagon. The entire concept of a small wagon that is that fast...well...let's just say it might be my dream car. Anyway, right now I'm about $9,000 upside down on my Tiburon, so I'm probably about a year away, but I really want one of the '06 Wagons because of the 2.5 in them.

I'm wondering what the difference is between the powertrain in the WRX and the STI for '06? I'm assuming a lesser turbo, and I've heard something about an inferior tranny in the WRX? My ultimate goal would be to have a 12 second wagon, and that seems pretty attainable from what I've read. Am I right?

BTW, this seems like a great community, far more mature than www.newtiburon.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard the board!

Check out all the technical forums, as they are full of useful content. Just do some searching around and you'll find the vast majority of your answers - plus learn some things that you didn't know to ask about.

Most of what you hear about a weak tranny in the WRX is from people who just don't know how to drive (except for the first gen clutch folks perhaps). You shouldn't have to worry about anything assuming you can drive a stick adequately. (Oh, and you can search for proper driving too!)
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club! Yep, you have found a terrific online community here.

The "inferior" tranny seems to be overstated sometimes. Subaru beefed up the WRX tranny somewhat starting late into the 03 production run through what is available today.

The search feature will answer most of the noob type questions you have. Be sure to read the stickies.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I did some searching around, on here and elsewhere, but I found precious little info on the '06s. Most of what I saw pertained to the STI. Maybe I'm not searching correctly or something, but I'm wondering what the difference is between the 2.5 in the WRX, and the 2.5 in the STI. I'm also wondering what the difference is between the 5 speed and the 6 speed, besides ratios and less one gear.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    I am guessing since the 06 hasnt been out long enough for anyone to really tear deep into, it will be hard to find accutrate information. From what I understand the wrx has the same motor has the FXT. It's basicaly a detuned STI motor, with a small turbo, IC, and I'd imagine different internals. The ECU most likely isnt near as agressive either.

The different between the 5 speed and 6 speed is basicaly strentgh. Again no one really knows how much stronger the new wrxs tranny is compared to the 05's, but most beleive it is the same as the LGT tranny which is rather stout. Also the gearing in the wrx has changed to make it a more friendly daily driver.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"