Hey guys got it, 03 WRX!!

This is a discussion on Hey guys got it, 03 WRX!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What up guys? I just traded in my Acura RSX for my 03 WRX i love it i have a ...

Hey guys got it, 03 WRX!!

What up guys? I just traded in my Acura RSX for my 03 WRX i love it i have a injen cai, greddy evo II exhaust, and a turbo XS BOV. i got my car like a month ago.

why does everyone say that a CAI and BOV are not good for ur car??? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they cause your car to run lean which causes detonation and allows for the possibility of blowing up your block.....before you get flamed id suggest using the search button
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

hi and welcome

Welcome! Yes, please look around, as these questions have been answered many times. Have fun looking and learning!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Freakin_Aboy
    What up guys? I just traded in my Acura RSX for my 03 WRX i love it i have a injen cai, greddy evo II exhaust, and a turbo XS BOV. i got my car like a month ago.

why does everyone say that a CAI and BOV are not good for ur car??? Thanks guys.
    1st off, Welcome to the club. I had an '02 RSX in Desert Silver Metallic (i'm RSXster on CRSX).

2nd, the CAI is bad for two reasons: 1st, by the time the "cold" air gets from the wheel well up the pipping, and into the engine it has warmed up, so there is no advantage (waste of money). 2nd, the way the pipping is designed and where the sensors are the CAI tricks the ECU into thinking that a different amount of air is coming in. So thats bad.

3rd, a BOV is bad for two reasons: 1st, the stock recirculating valve is good for up to about 18psi or so. You need major modifications to hit that point as stock is only 13.5psi on the WRX (waste of money). 2nd, when air comes in, the MAF sensor will read how much is coming in. lets say 10 units to be easy. then air goes to the intercooler and the BOV realeases 5units. so we have 5units total going into the engine. but the ECU thinks 10 are going in. so it injects 10units equivalent of gasoline. now you have too much gas in the engine compared to air. this causes teh engine to run rich, pause between shifts, idle poorly, etc.

Sell your BOV and CAI and put it towards tires, or a Cobb AP, or advanced driving school!
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Welcome!!
    Read this thread.
    club wrx saved my car
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

before anyone bashes and claims they are hard core smart tuners listen to reason.if you are tuned for a cai they are better than the short ram intake. at a tune shop they have fans running at the car. so you don't get heat soak. on the street a short ram is pulling hot air from under the hood into the turbo. when it is moving again it is still getting hot air into the turbo ,but not as bad . a cold air intake has the advantage of pulling cooler air that is not coming from the engine bay. also it is not sitting in the tube long enough to heat up to the temps of the air being sucked by the short ram. it is also going directly into the turbo ,so it is getting sucked in pretty damn fast even when not boosting. i run a short ram becuase i get deeper puddles and alot of snow in my area,but if i was in a high heat area i would be running a cai ,but i would also run it with mods ,and a tune. cai on a untuned car is bad.so is a short ram intake they both allow more air which creates lean conditions. i have seen both take out motors. just though i would state what i have seen tuned ,and untuned

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi, Welcome to the Club... Enjoy your time here.

Search is your friend..

Bugeyes Rule..
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

hello and welcome!

insight on CAI- my friend has the short ram version of yours on his car and it doesnt pull as hard as stock. feels like its lacking. this was compared to uppipe and catback.

well if u pay a good amount of money for an intake u might as well as just keep it on there because u wouldnt wanna waste ur money. am i right????

well if u pay a good amount of money for an intake u might as well as just keep it on there because u wouldnt wanna waste ur money. am i right????
    but in the end it could cost u 10-20 times the amount to fix the damage. plus if your not a mechanically skilled person your going to end up going with cobb AP and no maps to go with the intake. yes it could throw off computer measurements more than expected.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the boards.

Short and simple. If you aren't tuned for it, an aftermarket intake will likely cause long term damage to your cylinders, ringlands, and pistons. Short term, it probably won't hurt it in any noticable manner, but be aware you are likely causing some isses that long term will affec the engine. It also isn't likely to provide more power and may reduce power. Again...if you are tuned for it though, it's not a problem.

BOV....I think it is dependant on the type. A BOV doesn't hurt the car other than making it stumble, run rich and sometimes idle rough. I've successfully used an adjustable recurculating type BOV for years without any of those issues, so if you must have one, at least try to get one like the worxtuning valve.

For EMS, you can go with the 3 most popular, Utec, Cobb AP/ST, or Ecutek. To choose which one, it will likely depend on the availability of a good tuner in your area and their proven track record with one of these 3 platforms. You want power....this is your next upgrade (along with an Up Pipe). Your car will be night and day difference.

Good luck in your decisions.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums