Just got my wrx, 2 newbie questions

This is a discussion on Just got my wrx, 2 newbie questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well the title was to the point. I just got my 02 wrx, it has some mods, but nothing too ...

Just got my wrx, 2 newbie questions

well the title was to the point. I just got my 02 wrx, it has some mods, but nothing too major, the intercooler is bigger than stock and it has a nice exhaust on it. thats all I can see, I intend on tearing it apart on my day off, I have two very newbie questions...

1. how do you launch this thing.. I have only driven two wheel N/A cars in the past and this is a completely different feel.

2. my car has a turbo timer, but its always set for 30 seconds, I can change that to a minute or whatever, but I was in a kids car where the timer changed depending on how long and hard the car was run, how do I set this up?

thank you all for your help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club.

1. do a search on launching. there is a sticky about it.

2. you don't even need a turbo timer for the stock turbo, as it is oil and coolant fed, and coolant even runs though the turbo after the engine shuts off.

rip that turbo timer out of there, its just cluttering up your cabin and burning gas. also, if you have a full turboback exhaust get some engine management and then learn how to launch because then it will be much easier and because of the newfound torque, the drivetrain wont take all the shock because the probability that you'll break those tires loose is higher with more power.

i like to hold revs up around 3800 rpm and then slip the clutch (not drop, very important) as im gassing it probably around 4200-4500 rpm and floor it.

there are a few techniques out there.

get to know the search button, it really helps with simple questions.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

thanks for your help so far, I think I'll leave the turbo timer in there, but just leave it off... if I ever upgrade the turbo it will be good to have in there. the guy installed a boost guage (right in front of the shifter... stupid placement if you ask me) and next to it is a "pyrometer" what is that, and why does it never move (at least that I have seen)

Welcome. Pyrometers are used to measure heat. Most guys use that term when speaking of using a tool to check tire temps between auto-x runs. Maybe he just wanted some guages to look cool in the cabin?
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

I think thats the case, I need to tear apart the car and start it from scratch this guy did a lot of little silly things that I want to undo/redo properly... I'll have pictures tonight for everyone

sid
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreiber117

2. my car has a turbo timer, but its always set for 30 seconds, I can change that to a minute or whatever, but I was in a kids car where the timer changed depending on how long and hard the car was run, how do I set this up?

thank you all for your help...

What kind of turbo timer is it? HKS, Blitz, Greddy...? To set up the auto timer mode on some turbo timers you have to splice into the tach wire on the ecu if I remember correctly.