Newbie with Questions

This is a discussion on Newbie with Questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all I am a 2003 MINI Cooper S owner, although i still am very happy with the car, however, ...

Smile Newbie with Questions

Hello all

I am a 2003 MINI Cooper S owner, although i still am very happy with the car, however, i need 5 seats, i need something that'd be fast out of the box, while the mini fulfill the bills perfectly, i cant return my car back to stock class autox... which is the only reason im selling mini.... besides, i found a good deal on a 2004 WRX STI... so i wanted to ask a few questions about them

1) Reliability? how good are they if all im doing is simple bolt ons aimed at stock class
    2) Track worthy? if im doing only brake pads, stainless lines, and fluid, how would they hold up on the track with r-comps
    3) daily driving? i heard all the things about them, that they are hard to drive on the street because it is tiring, exactly how so?
    4) Ipod adaptor? any factory ipod adaptor?
    5) equipment? what size are people running in autox and track days? im looking at one set of street tires, one set of r-comps, and one set of winters...

I'd appreciate any help people can give me!

hopefully i'd join the WRX family sometime around febuary

Herman L.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kyriian
    Hello all

I am a 2003 MINI Cooper S owner, although i still am very happy with the car, however, i need 5 seats, i need something that'd be fast out of the box, while the mini fulfill the bills perfectly, i cant return my car back to stock class autox... which is the only reason im selling mini.... besides, i found a good deal on a 2004 WRX STI... so i wanted to ask a few questions about them

1) Reliability? how good are they if all im doing is simple bolt ons aimed at stock class
    2) Track worthy? if im doing only brake pads, stainless lines, and fluid, how would they hold up on the track with r-comps
    3) daily driving? i heard all the things about them, that they are hard to drive on the street because it is tiring, exactly how so?
    4) Ipod adaptor? any factory ipod adaptor?
    5) equipment? what size are people running in autox and track days? im looking at one set of street tires, one set of r-comps, and one set of winters...

I'd appreciate any help people can give me!

hopefully i'd join the WRX family sometime around febuary

Herman L.

Welcome!

1) With just simple bolt ons, you won't have too many problems. The only problem I've heard of is boost spiking with an aftermarket downpipe, but that should be fixed by now.

2) You're still good to go. It's good enough right out of the box. I don't know about the tires though as I don't race.

3) Nothing wrong with it being a daily driver. I think when you were refering to it being tiring, it's probably because the ride may be stiffer (I have no clue as I haven't sat in an sti long enough to notice) than what the people you were talking to are used to feeling. Also it could also mean because of the 6 speed tranny, you have to shift more often, which can become tiring.

4) No idea

5) No idea. I'm guessing most people just run the stock tire size (I think it's 225/45/17), and use Bridgestone S-03's as street tires as well as autox tires.