is the sti as cool as it seems to me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on is the sti as cool as it seems to me within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi ive been considering buying a 2006 sti (love the new look), but i have a lot of friends who ...

Smile is the sti as cool as it seems to me

hi ive been considering buying a 2006 sti (love the new look), but i have a lot of friends who are jerks who keep discouraging me. They all have a lot more money than me and drive porsche and audi s4 and so forth. i havent driven an sti but it seems like a lot of car for the money all wheel drive turbo should be fun and 300hp doesnt seem bad.ive had alot of sports cars but never a subaru. there biggest knocks on the car is it looks like a kids car, no sunroof is a big one, they say that there slow (i would not know our dealer doent alow test drives on the sti WTF i test drove my benz before i bought it!), and overall they dont think the car is durable im in florida subarus are not as popular here as other parts of the country, but i always thought they were good cars. any opinions what do you folks out there like about your sti what do you dislike if anything. thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No offense, but your friends sound pretentious, and they sound like they dont want a car that is almost as fast if not faster then theirs for less than they paid. I think the STI is a great car, fun, I love the way it looks and really fast. They are super reliable too, that is what makes me think they have no idea what they are talking about, because anyone knows they are good and reliable cars, that is if you dont race the hell out of them everyday, no car would stand up to that. Nothing that you said that your friends said indicates them knowing anything about these cars, talk to someone who does, and try and drive one, you will love it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy what you like, not what others think you should buy.

Do a little research and show your "friends" that the STi is one of the best bang for the bucks out there. Especially your Audi friends, as until this year, the STi would pretty much own a stock Audi in every category except sexy and luxury. Most porsches in the 0-60 category too. Besides...you'll spend 10 bucks modding one of those vehicles to every 1 you spend on the STi.
    Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

thanx for feedback

how is the awd performance compared to other awd say like audi s4 does the sti corner like a beast?

They are not slow, even compared to S4s and Porsches. The ride won't be as cushy as an Audi, and no sunroof, but if fast is what you like, those amenities are counterproductive. If looks are an issue for you, you may want to reconsider. It does attract a lot of attention, but you can always do a trunk swap to lose the wing, and then it won't draw as much.

As for durability, it will be lightyears better than Audis, that's for sure. Your friends may never be convinced, although most are after a ride along, but they're not the one's that need to be happy with the car.

S4 runs w/ the WRX. The STi will beat it, unless the S4 is chipped, even then i think it would be in the STi's favor. The S4 is a beautiful car, very nice, very heavy.

Porsche? Which one? Boxster? Carrera? 911? STi will handle most of them except like a 911 Turbo and maybe a Carrera 4S?

STi is a great car for the money. If a runroof is very important (i agree since id love a convertible), then there is always the other route...Evo. You can get Sunroof, Leather, etc on the Evo for less than a STi.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

yeah i would get the STi, work on it, and go smoke their cars. some people have done that
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

personally I've always wanted an S4, but its like twice as much as my WRX, and I'm MUCH more likely to do serious mods to a WRX. For example I'd think twice about cutting up the hood in an audi to put in a bigger scoop for a side-mounted TMIC, but that's exactly what I'm planning to do to my WRX...and the tuner I'll be going to when I get all my parts in said he can get me 400 WHP if I want that much...I'm sure I could get that kind of power out of an Audi, but its a different car...its fast, but its not built for speed. Its built to be a NICE car, which it is. I'd have a hard time modding it because the downside is just too damn expensive for me, whereas on a WRX, a blown motor might cost me $2000 installed, and I'd get better internals in the process, but that's doable. On an S4 I'm looking at close to $8000 AT LEAST.

Also, I believe the Audi uses a chain-drive AWD system that they developed rather than VCD, which Subaru uses. From what I've read the AWD transfer case is pretty much bullet-proof and must stronger than the Subaru...but the Subaru one does just fine.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

If you want to attract a lot of attention and have a fast car for cheap that you can make really fast sti is the on. I would choose 05 instead of 06 but that doesn't matter.

However if i could do it again I would have bought a 02 s4. I love the cars they are beautiful and are pretty quick. U can also get them for about 22,000. My friend did that and then stage 5'd it with a fmic. It is rediculous it dynoed at like 350whp.
    He got it done by achtunin.com if you want to check it out.

I love the wrx it is amazing but at the end of the day i love audis.
    just my .02
    Vibrant cat-back exhaust. Black silver rim ADR 18"/ kuhmo 225/40/18. kenwood deck, 2 12" kenwood excelons w/ 1100W kenwood amp. Cobb acessport------------coming soon

Stage 5 S4? That must of cost a few body parts. A simple exhaust is like $2,000.

Audi Quattro is superior to both VCD and the Symmetrical AWD of the WRX 5MT. In Audi Quattro the system is Torsional and it can send 100% torque to any single wheel that gets traction. Subaru can't do that. So if you put 3 wheels on ice, and one on the road an Audi could drive off, Subaru cannot. Only Hummer, Audi Q, BMW xDrive, Volvo XC90, Jeep Quadra Drive II, and a few other companies have that type of full time all wheel drive.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

In all reality wouldn't that kind of AWD be more suited to rock climbing (Hummer and Jeep) and less suited to civilian roads. It makes sense to cross a ditch, but as far as normal driving I can't see it helping much. Sure it'd be nice, but Subaru is packing one very well-designed AWD system at a fraction of the cost.

Find a dealer who will let you test drive. Tell that dealer you either test drive or you don't buy. That whole test driving thing is BS and seems to be a BIG problem with Subaru dealers and STi's. Heck, I at 19 was denied a test drive of a WRX at one dealer. Called around and found one that would let me. They saw an opportunity to make money with little risk, and they took it. I bought the car there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Stage 5 S4? That must of cost a few body parts. A simple exhaust is like $2,000.

Audi Quattro is superior to both VCD and the Symmetrical AWD of the WRX 5MT. In Audi Quattro the system is Torsional and it can send 100% torque to any single wheel that gets traction. Subaru can't do that. So if you put 3 wheels on ice, and one on the road an Audi could drive off, Subaru cannot. Only Hummer, Audi Q, BMW xDrive, Volvo XC90, Jeep Quadra Drive II, and a few other companies have that type of full time all wheel drive.
    you'd be hard-pressed to find yourself in a situation where you had 3 wheels on ice, and one wheel on pavement for more than a moment. You have 4 wheels, and they're inline with eachother so chances are if you have one wheel on solid ground, that's only momentary. Its cool and all, but I think unless you're rock-climbing and crawling (which you can't do with a passanger car), that system is pretty much overkill, although given a choice I'd take it.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke

Find a dealer who will let you test drive. Tell that dealer you either test drive or you don't buy. That whole test driving thing is BS and seems to be a BIG problem with Subaru dealers and STi's. Heck, I at 19 was denied a test drive of a WRX at one dealer. Called around and found one that would let me. They saw an opportunity to make money with little risk, and they took it. I bought the car there.
    a friend of mine wanted an NSX. we went to the local Acura dealer, but the dealer wouldn't let him test drive one. We're both in out 30's, but we were wearing jeans and t-shirts, so they decided he couldn't afford the car. He argued with the sales guy for about 20 minutes, but he just wouldn't do it. Next week, my buddy then proceeded to the Porsche dealer where he bought a really nice 911 instead. We drove it to the Acura dealer, and asked to speak to the sales guy and his manager. He remembered us. He then pulled out the sales reciept (he paid CASH), put it on the table in front of them, and said, "your sales person wouldn't let me test-drive an NSX and it cost you a $70k cash sale. Have a nice day". (the Porsche was actually more).
    go f*** yourself

Come to knoxville and you can drive any STI we have in stock

I actually lived in the Ocala area for 3 years (my dad is still there) and you are right, subaru isnt very popular there but they are great, even in florida. I wouldnt let your friends discourage you. Most STI buyers that we have are 35 +.

haha I have a black 2006 in stock and a silver 2004....if you are interested. We are about 8 hours from ocala on I-75 north. Just FYI..and just in case

I say get the STI anyway. it is a great car and you will have spent a lot less for a better overall car then they did on their audi's and such. They would be jealous after you bought it...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by t-rx
    If you want to attract a lot of attention and have a fast car for cheap that you can make really fast sti is the on. I would choose 05 instead of 06 but that doesn't matter.

However if i could do it again I would have bought a 02 s4. I love the cars they are beautiful and are pretty quick. U can also get them for about 22,000. My friend did that and then stage 5'd it with a fmic. It is rediculous it dynoed at like 350whp.
    He got it done by achtunin.com if you want to check it out.

I love the wrx it is amazing but at the end of the day i love audis.
    just my .02
    whoa....8 grand for the stage 5 package, and it doesn't even include the catback. Hmm...like I said, 10 bucks to every 1 buck of hours to mod it. Spend 8K on an STi for go fast parts and you'll easily be at +400HP to the wheels. And unlike the Audi, the STi suspension and brakes (except pads and fluid) are more than up to the task of a few track days tossed in. Love the looks of the S4, but man...they can be such pigs. Of course...this years crop is a "bit" faster
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast