is the sti as cool as it seems to me - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on is the sti as cool as it seems to me within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT Stage 5 S4? That must of cost a few body parts. A simple exhaust is like ...

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Stage 5 S4? That must of cost a few body parts. A simple exhaust is like $2,000.

Audi Quattro is superior to both VCD and the Symmetrical AWD of the WRX 5MT. In Audi Quattro the system is Torsional and it can send 100% torque to any single wheel that gets traction. Subaru can't do that. So if you put 3 wheels on ice, and one on the road an Audi could drive off, Subaru cannot. Only Hummer, Audi Q, BMW xDrive, Volvo XC90, Jeep Quadra Drive II, and a few other companies have that type of full time all wheel drive.
    Sorry to contradict, but the Subaru WRX STi w/ its center active diff and two mechanical front and rear diffs is more superior if you are looking to put all the power to the road.

And to ensure tire traction even on wet pavement, A4 is also available with Audi's Quattro all-wheel-drive (AWD) system that's always engaged.

The smart device, using a torsion-sensing center differential, automatically shifts the majority of all engine torque to whichever wheels, front or rear, attain the best bite of traction on slick pavement.

Another mechanism applies electronic locking to front and rear differentials in a process that can sense and block an individual wheel from spinning, then redistribute the driving torque from one side of the axle to the other.
    So the torsen diff is only at the center and can only distribute 100% of the tq to either the front or rear axles. Between the left and right wheels, the brakes are used to stop the wheel from slipping allowing torque to reach the wheel that isn't (usually the outside rear wheel). The Subaru Sti AWD System and Mitsubishi ACD (w/ or w/o AYC) is far superior for putting the torque to the wheels if called upon. You certainly don't want the brakes being applied when you want all the power spinning the wheels (for drifting, gravel cornering, etc...)

Don't believe the hype from Audi, BMW, VW, Volvo, etc... Three viscous, torsen, mechanical or Active diffs are better than a single one + ABS.

-Chris

NOTE: Incidentally the Acura SH-AWD is the best system to come to market with 3 active diffs to send the torque to exactly the one wheel that needs it (outside rear to fight understeer). Its a shame the car (Acura RL) isn't lighter w/ a more powerful engine to capitalize on Honda's newest tech.
    Last edited by fengshui; 08-29-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

haven't read any of the other posts, but since you live in Florida and no smog requirements, slap on a GT35R turbo and supporting mods and (Vin Diesel line) "Smoke-um" all

Based on what you've said I'd go with the STi, or even perhaps an Evo VIII.

as mentioned in my previous note....go for the STI, regardless of friends. you are the one driving it..they will definitely envy you once you have it and they see what $34,000 can buy in the subaru line-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by fengshui
    Sorry to contradict, but the Subaru WRX STi w/ its center active diff and two mechanical front and rear diffs is more superior if you are looking to put all the power to the road.

So the torsen diff is only at the center and can only distribute 100% of the tq to either the front or rear axles. Between the left and right wheels, the brakes are used to stop the wheel from slipping allowing torque to reach the wheel that isn't (usually the outside rear wheel). The Subaru Sti AWD System and Mitsubishi ACD (w/ or w/o AYC) is far superior for putting the torque to the wheels if called upon. You certainly don't want the brakes being applied when you want all the power spinning the wheels (for drifting, gravel cornering, etc...)

Don't believe the hype from Audi, BMW, VW, Volvo, etc... Three viscous, torsen, mechanical or Active diffs are better than a single one + ABS.

-Chris

NOTE: Incidentally the Acura SH-AWD is the best system to come to market with 3 active diffs to send the torque to exactly the one wheel that needs it (outside rear to fight understeer). Its a shame the car (Acura RL) isn't lighter w/ a more powerful engine to capitalize on Honda's newest tech.

yeah but if you wanted to rock climb in an S4 their diff would be the balls.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

If i'm in the snow, and only one wheel can find traction, the audi is gonna drive away. If a Subaru is in the snow and only one wheel can find traction, it will sit there DCCD or not.

Im not comparing performance-awd systems for cornering or drifting, but the ability of the vehicle to get out of snow or other lower-traction situations.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    Come to knoxville and you can drive any STI we have in stock

I actually lived in the Ocala area for 3 years (my dad is still there) and you are right, subaru isnt very popular there but they are great, even in florida. I wouldnt let your friends discourage you. Most STI buyers that we have are 35 +.

haha I have a black 2006 in stock and a silver 2004....if you are interested. We are about 8 hours from ocala on I-75 north. Just FYI..and just in case

I say get the STI anyway. it is a great car and you will have spent a lot less for a better overall car then they did on their audi's and such. They would be jealous after you bought it...
    I need to move to Tennessee so I can deal with you on my next Subaru (an STI), in 2009 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

If i'm in the snow, and only one wheel can find traction, the audi is gonna drive away. If a Subaru is in the snow and only one wheel can find traction, it will sit there DCCD or not.

Im not comparing performance-awd systems for cornering or drifting, but the ability of the vehicle to get out of snow or other lower-traction situations.
    well the Audi system may not be the "coolest" or the technically most interesting, but it is more solid and in PRACTICAL applications (which for 99% of the population does NOT include drifting, drag racing, and rally-x) it does a really good job.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Torsen is superior, agreed, because of its torque biasing ability (which is why the Hummer H1 has 3 Torsen Diffs). But they are also heavy.

The WRX 5MT system's viscous coupling center diff can be overpowered if zero wheels have traction and the car is dug in(watch Mischief 3000 for an example). But with three self locking diffs the STi should be able to get underway with a single wheel on the good stuff (if not it would make no sense for the H1 to have 3 torsen diffs).
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Torsen is superior, agreed, because of its torque biasing ability (which is why the Hummer H1 has 3 Torsen Diffs). But they are also heavy.

The WRX 5MT system's viscous coupling center diff can be overpowered if zero wheels have traction and the car is dug in(watch Mischief 3000 for an example). But with three self locking diffs the STi should be able to get underway with a single wheel on the good stuff (if not it would make no sense for the H1 to have 3 torsen diffs).
    But the DCCD can't put torque to ONE wheel. it can only switch between the front and rear wheels. That's why Quattro, Hummer, etc are superior.

I love my symmetrical, it worked great last winter. But if i had to be in heavy snow id rather Quattro.

SH-AWD is pretty sick. I can't wait till the Turbo TSX w/ SH-AWD comes to the US.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

But the DCCD can't put torque to ONE wheel. it can only switch between the front and rear wheels. That's why Quattro, Hummer, etc are superior.

I love my symmetrical, it worked great last winter. But if i had to be in heavy snow id rather Quattro.

SH-AWD is pretty sick. I can't wait till the Turbo TSX w/ SH-AWD comes to the US.
    In heavy snow you are better with a true 4x4 4WD vehicle which LOCKS the center diff outright, has a ton of ground clearence (for many inches of snow, which will bury Subarus, Audis, any car...). Some 4WD SUVs have a locking REAR diff as well which means that the front axle spins at EXACTLY the same speed as the rear axle AND the left and right rear wheels spin at that same speed (SINCE the diffs are completely locked).

The Symmteric AWD system of Subaru can achieve this locked state if both viscous diffs (center and rear) lock up due to enough speed differences between the front and rear axles, and left and right rear wheels.

But its true that to save your ass in a hurry, the electronic slip controlled, super ABS systems that work w/ the AWD systems from Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc... work really well.

-Chris

I'll try to dig up some articles explaining the AWD systems in detail if anyone is really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    slap on a GT35R turbo and supporting mods and (Vin Diesel line) "Smoke-um" all

exactly what i was thinking. im not sure how old you are, but you sound like youre...how can i say this...financially blessed if you really like the sti, get it. w/ a 35r kit, supporting mods, and a good tune 500hp is well within reach (emphasis on good tune tho) w/ that your friends wont have to worry about what the car looks like, cuz all they'll be seein is tail lights

Quote Originally Posted by IDAFC21
    exactly what i was thinking. im not sure how old you are, but you sound like youre...how can i say this...financially blessed if you really like the sti, get it. w/ a 35r kit, supporting mods, and a good tune 500hp is well within reach (emphasis on good tune tho) w/ that your friends wont have to worry about what the car looks like, cuz all they'll be seein is tail lights
    lol that would be nice!!!

In heavy snow you are better with a true 4x4 4WD vehicle which LOCKS the center diff outright, has a ton of ground clearence (for many inches of snow, which will bury Subarus, Audis, any car...). Some 4WD SUVs have a locking REAR diff as well which means that the front axle spins at EXACTLY the same speed as the rear axle AND the left and right rear wheels spin at that same speed (SINCE the diffs are completely locked).

The Symmteric AWD system of Subaru can achieve this locked state if both viscous diffs (center and rear) lock up due to enough speed differences between the front and rear axles, and left and right rear wheels.

But its true that to save your ass in a hurry, the electronic slip controlled, super ABS systems that work w/ the AWD systems from Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc... work really well.

-Chris

I'll try to dig up some articles explaining the AWD systems in detail if anyone is really interested.
    Remember guys, he is in florida... depending how far south in florida, he may only get frost once or twice a year...probably not too worried about driving in 6 inches of snow (unless on a road trip in the STI).
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.