Divorce my si?

This is a discussion on Divorce my si? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; HEy guys I have an 02 honda civic si and Im debating on jumping into a wrx. No sti, but ...

Divorce my si?

HEy guys I have an 02 honda civic si and Im debating on jumping into a wrx. No sti, but a a turbo charged impreza. Im wondering if i should get an 06 a used 02 etc. I need some help here, i have had 13 hondas and this will be a big jump for me. Whats the reliabilty like on these, Im hearing the 06's have better tranneys, and a lil more displacment. GImme some pros and cons. I like the idea of having a turbo awd car. Especially starting with a turbo car opposed to building one. Help me out, I have been through b16s, b18's h23's h22's and even played with a k series, but i have no clue of what im getting into. Just tell me what to expect. Whats the warrenties like. If i wanna build a 400 hp monster is it possible to do it in every day driver form>? any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thank you,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cloudstrife930
    HEy guys I have an 02 honda civic si and Im debating on jumping into a wrx. No sti, but a a turbo charged impreza. Im wondering if i should get an 06 a used 02 etc. I need some help here, i have had 13 hondas and this will be a big jump for me. Whats the reliabilty like on these, Im hearing the 06's have better tranneys, and a lil more displacment. GImme some pros and cons. I like the idea of having a turbo awd car. Especially starting with a turbo car opposed to building one. Help me out, I have been through b16s, b18's h23's h22's and even played with a k series, but i have no clue of what im getting into. Just tell me what to expect. Whats the warrenties like. If i wanna build a 400 hp monster is it possible to do it in every day driver form>? any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thank you,

OK.... first off, welcome to the club. I advise against getting an 02-03 unless you plan on upgrading the gears, as they break very easily. The 04-05s have thicker gears and look the best IMO. The 05's also have a better stock clutch and a much better interior than the past years. The ej205 is the engine in the 02,03,04,05. It is a very reliable engine and pretty cheap to mod to make big power. It is very capable of 400 crank HP while keeping a nice daily driving power curve. Anything over 400 crank HP, you must look into a JDM swap, USDM 2.5 swap, or just upgrading the internals. I am not awair of any changes to the tranny for the 06 model line. As for the warrenty, some dealers will void it for very little modding, some will not void it even if you have a lot of mods. If I ever have a problem, I will put all my stock parts back on then bring it in. To get you around 400 crank HP you will need the following:

-uppipe, downpipe, catback
    - engine management (UTEC, Cobb AP, ECUtek, AEM EMS)
    - bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump
    - bigger intercooler.
    - custom tune.

Some upgrade the gears as well. Some never have to with big power.

The parts stated above can be found pretty cheap if you get them used on this site or on www.nasioc.com .

Try using the search function or PM me if you have any other questions.

Steve

i love my WRX. i am only stage 2 but it hauls! LOL! gotta remember not to run a MBC with the 04/05 WRX's. if u do, u need EM. you can run a MBC with the 02/03's though.
    AWD is great for many environments. i personally like the interior of my 05. it is very nice and the seats are great! the car doesnt feel like much when stock so dont take that into consideration. if u wanna know the true potential of the WRX, you should find someone who modded it already and ride along. at least this car has a hell of alot more potential than my old 04 RX8.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

Thankyou guys for the feedback. I guess its gonna come down to test drviving one and seeing how it feels, I'd probably get an 05 or an 06. Im also wondering if its just worth it to opt for an sti, seems like for the money the few extras and horsepower are all worth it. But is it truly, a regular wrx wouldnt give me a thrill as much as an sti. I dunno guess i'll find out. It just seems like starting with a turbo car is better than starting with a non turbo one. Ive had many of them, I jsut wanna make sure my furst non honda car is a good one that'll last for a while. And lets say I opt for an sti is there alot of room for potential, or is that car best left alone. What are the pluses of an sti over getting an evo, i hear those are maxed out and easy to blow the engine. Thanks again for the warm welcome. And i hope to be cruzin in a wrx soon enuff, I jsut dont wanna rush it and find out all the down sides like i did with my si.

who can give you a better idea of what your doing than a .....

another civic si 02 owner !?! - like me :P

I am getting STI for obvious reasons, quality over mitsubishi(not gonna fight this one, i have had 3 mitsu's), the ease of mods, and response to mods.

For us to blast into the 12's or even 13's - it takes a minimum of 3g's ..... and alot of bs'ing around...

So i will be saying goodbye SI in a few months ! I even work at honda, im a trader

I am on a mac... can't post pics of it directly... but here is the link...

My car clicky clicky

zab

go for the wrx

I also came here from Honda products. I had an Acura RSX and prior to that an Integra. I loved them both. After thinking about it, probably liked the Integra more than the RSX. At first I was hesitant to leave Honda for their awesome reliability and service departments. Now that I am in the Subaru WRX I love it. The service is sub Honda/Acura, but the awesome ride makes up for that. The AWD even helps in the rain, I am sure you know how those light weight Hondas like to spin their wheels in the rain, and understeer as well. I cannot wait to try it in the snow Plus, Consumer Reports named the Impreza WRX number 1 for reliability in 2005-2005. Hope that helps.

a stock STi can hit high 12s with a good driver and a good launch.

you can put a stock wrx in low 13s for about a grand.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey welcome man,

I too came from the land of the H. I had an 02 Si with a K24A1 swapped in with a 6 speed from an EP Type R. Anyway, no matter how much I squeezed the life out of that k24 it wouldnt beat a stage 2 05 wrx. The warranty, meh not as good as your honda warranty. Im sorry but with the WRX its like pulling teeth to get them to warranty anything. I have almost 9k on my 05 wrx yet and have not had a problem with it yet (except my spoiler broke). I had 12k on my 02 civic si and had small problems like door panels rattle and whatever else. Hope this helps a little? Id say get the Subaru, youll be happy you did.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

dont divorce it

dump the biznatch and leave her with nothin

welcome to the void, get an sti, you will thank me later... you will spend about 5k more.. but trust me when you are done you will spend much more than 5k to get the quality suspension, tranny, bigger engine, and turbo.. for 2k ontop of that you can have a 11 or so sec sti(stage 2 sti's do around that)
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

If you can't afford a sti or don't want the payment I would strongly reccomend you get your hands on the 06 wrx. THe bigger block, newer design(I think it's ugly). I'm also assuming that the transmission has been redesigned.

get an 05 STI, looks better, cheaper then the 06 and the pull up to 60 in that thing is unreal.
    Last edited by rex=my_life; 08-31-2005 at 12:36 PM.