WRX practicality

This is a discussion on WRX practicality within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Finally registered, have been lurking for quite awhile. We are looking for a new/used car and I would really like ...

WRX practicality

Finally registered, have been lurking for quite awhile.

We are looking for a new/used car and I would really like a WRX. My wife wants something practical, AWD, safe, decent gas mileage, etc. I want the same thing, but also want something that is going to be fun to drive.

I have wanted a WRX since they were realeased in the US. I would like to hear if anyone has used a WRX as a daily driver/family vehicle. I am leaning towards a wagon because I have a 2 year old and could use the extra cargo room for all of the junk that comes along with a toddler.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I drive mine to work and everywhere, really bought it because I love the way it looks, not much for the power which is just a bonus for me. I think it would be fine, only problem I see is putting high octane gas in there which now days gets expensive, but I get about 24-25 mpg, which isnt bad, its no civic.....They are a ton of fun to drive and really good as far as how they handle in the rain and snow, etc.....I say go for it, and really reliable if you dont pop the clutch all the time. I think they get a bad name as far as reliability sometimes because of how many people mod the hell out of them and drag race them.

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX = Best combo of practicality and fun/performance that I can think of for the money.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    WRX = Best combo of practicality and fun/performance that I can think of for the money.

+1

my parents are even thinking of maybe getting an 06 because of the redesign, and it not looking nearly as much like a boy racer car as the previous models.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Theres also the impreza model. Not as much fun as the WRX, but cheaper insurance, gas, and better low end torque.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

I do not think you will find a car better suited to what you require. Get the wagon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Take your child seat with you and see how the latch anchors work with it in your opinion.

Also, have the taller of the two of you (either you or your wife) sit in the driver's seat and then have the other person sit behind them with the child seat in the center position or at the far right rear position (I assume you're buying a LHD model).

See how easy it is to get the child seat in/out and anchored down - do the doors open wide enough etc.

See if the space behind the seats in the wagon is adequate for your needs (it almost certainly is) and see if you like the net and/or the "dog-carrying" mess attachment. Both are meant to keep stuff from flying into the cabin.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by trippy
    Theres also the impreza model. Not as much fun as the WRX, but cheaper insurance, gas, and better low end torque.
    the 2.5 may feel torquier, but i don't really think it is.
    you'll notice more of a difference at the pump since you can use the 87 instead of the 91(93 depending on location)
    here's a dyno plot with one that has I/H/E
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833281

look at that dip. i just drove a 2.5rs for the weekend (about 300 miles) and was sooooo glad to get back home to my wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonwrx
    I drive mine to work and everywhere, really bought it because I love the way it looks, not much for the power which is just a bonus for me. I think it would be fine, only problem I see is putting high octane gas in there which now days gets expensive, but I get about 24-25 mpg, which isnt bad, its no civic.....They are a ton of fun to drive and really good as far as how they handle in the rain and snow, etc.....I say go for it, and really reliable if you dont pop the clutch all the time. I think they get a bad name as far as reliability sometimes because of how many people mod the hell out of them and drag race them.
    Quote Originally Posted by trippy
    NO.

I am SOOOO freaking sick of the gas crap.

Do some math people.

The difference between 87 and 93 has remained a fairly constant 20-25 cents per gallon for the last forever and a half. At 12 gallons per fill, that is (on the high side) 3 dollars per fill. At even 8 fills per month, or 2 per week (24 gallons @ 20 mpg = 480 miles per week = 25,000 miles a year), that's $24 per month. At 12 months, that's $288 a year. If your financial well-being is dependant upon a $288 yearly dynamic, you've got bigger issues.

Note the above used worst case scenario variables.

Over at NASIOC someone mentioned they saw a dyno that showed a drop of 40 feet HP from 93 vs. 87. 40 HP!!!! That's about 1/4 of the HP of the car at the wheels.

Thanks for the opinions. I was a little worried that my desire to have a WRX was making my decision biased. It is good to get feedback from an impartial source

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    +3.... you wont find anything like it... anywhere...
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    NO.

I am SOOOO freaking sick of the gas crap.

Do some math people.

The difference between 87 and 93 has remained a fairly constant 20-25 cents per gallon for the last forever and a half. At 12 gallons per fill, that is (on the high side) 3 dollars per fill. At even 8 fills per month, or 2 per week (24 gallons @ 20 mpg = 480 miles per week = 25,000 miles a year), that's $24 per month. At 12 months, that's $288 a year. If your financial well-being is dependant upon a $288 yearly dynamic, you've got bigger issues.

Note the above used worst case scenario variables.

Over at NASIOC someone mentioned they saw a dyno that showed a drop of 40 feet HP from 93 vs. 87. 40 HP!!!! That's about 1/4 of the HP of the car at the wheels.
    plus one for the hard to argue with solid math!!!
    get the wrx.

I Support ClubWRX
    I drive my wrx everyday to and from work. It is nothing like my old 02 civic si at the gas pump. I get around 15-22 mpg depending on how spirited my driving is or how horrible our traffic is that day (basically the whole towns road system is getting reworked). Oil changes dont cost a fortune like VWs do. The only thing I dislike is that the door way is small compared to a coupe.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

i have a buge eye sedan and i love it.

i used to have a 92 gsr which was a 2 door hatch. practicallity wise the sedan is nicer cause it has four doors and a little more leg room.

my friend has an 05 wagon that is nice. it has more cargo room and isnt that much larger. if i needed more cargo room i would not hessitate to get the wrx wagon.

I have an '04 wagon and you cant beat it for practicality. I regularly trailer a load of mulch or the motorcycle. On vacations I have it loaded down on the roof rack with a canoe and 2 bikes and still have room in th back for the 2 dogs and lots of camping gear.

In terms of price, versatility, reliability and power I dont think there is anything out there that comes very close to it. And I have to agree on the premium gas thing...I dont get it with people freaking out over the .15-.20 difference between 87 and 93. I use mine about 1/2 the time for commuting 60 miles round trip to work (I motorcycle the other half) and I dont think the gas mileage is that bad. I get 21.5 mpg but I also dont go below 85 on the way to work (all interstate). My wife's '04 Mazda 3 gets 23 mpg (A/T) and its not near as fun to drive!

Get the wagon...you wont be sorry.