Manual comparison question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on Manual comparison question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How much different is driving a WRX from an S2000? Im new to manuals... I just learned the basics on ...

  1. #1
    Registered User WrxRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    418

    Manual comparison question

    How much different is driving a WRX from an S2000? Im new to manuals... I just learned the basics on my moms s2000. Whats so different about the two in terms of actually driving them?
    The reason I ask is because I read alot of posts saying that the WRX is unique when compared to FWD/RWD driving other cars. How so?
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

    My mods

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    sid
    sid is offline
    Registered User sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    242
    driving stick is like riding a bicycle. different cars have different feel to them but once you learn stick you shouldn't have any problems.

  4. #3
    Registered User Galimore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atanta & Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    81
    I've had my '05 5m/t WRX for two weeks, had never had my own manual before, only driven others. By the end up the second day I had it (800 miles ), it was instinctive. If you can drive any manual decently you can get the hang of this one in a day or two. Just don't think about launching for at least a month or two. Got 2000 miles on mine now and I just now broke 4K rpm, I trying to take care of it

  5. #4
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,238
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sid
    driving stick is like riding a bicycle. different cars have different feel to them but once you learn stick you shouldn't have any problems.
    +1. The differences are in the overall feel of the shifter (sloppy / precise), the amount of travel of the shifter (short throw / long throw), the amount of travel of the clutch pedal, the amount of effort needed to disengage and where the clutch starts to grab. These can vary quite a bit. With some practice, you will adapt to all the variations quickly.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-21-2005 at 08:28 AM.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45
    Compared to other sticks I've driven, including other subarus, my WRX's clutch tends to catch closer to the top. Also the car likes to be driven a little faster. Shifting seems smoother at higher rpm. I find shifting from 1st to 2nd to be a pain in the WRX. It seems harder to rev match down there.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29
    I am a newb too.. i just learned to drive stick on a NA'd 97 Maxima. I am also going to purchase a 06 WRX 5 spd. I have a lot of trouble from 1st to 2nd, as in keeping a smooth shift. When i do smooth shifts i rev with the clutch in and i pump more gas than i let go of the clutch. I only gas with the clutch to drive smoothly in a urban environment.

    Driving smoothly the way i drive, now i smell the clutch burning. I feel that i lose both ways. Do not drive smoothly and save the clutch or use up the clutch and drive smoothly. What is the other alternative? thank you ahead of time

  8. #7
    Registered User drummerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by andl2ew
    Driving smoothly the way i drive, now i smell the clutch burning. I feel that i lose both ways. Do not drive smoothly and save the clutch or use up the clutch and drive smoothly. What is the other alternative? thank you ahead of time
    you have the right idea ... but sounds to me like you're putting a little too much gas and taking too long to ease off the clutch. you have to find a middle ground and you will with more time and experience with it.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

  9. #8
    Registered User WrxRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by andl2ew
    I am a newb too.. i just learned to drive stick on a NA'd 97 Maxima. I am also going to purchase a 06 WRX 5 spd. I have a lot of trouble from 1st to 2nd, as in keeping a smooth shift. When i do smooth shifts i rev with the clutch in and i pump more gas than i let go of the clutch. I only gas with the clutch to drive smoothly in a urban environment.

    Driving smoothly the way i drive, now i smell the clutch burning. I feel that i lose both ways. Do not drive smoothly and save the clutch or use up the clutch and drive smoothly. What is the other alternative? thank you ahead of time
    Your putting too much gas and your not taking out the clutch fast enough. It takes practice, but its all in the timing. The timing part will become natural once you get the hang of it.
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

    My mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •