One very confused newbie... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on One very confused newbie... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You don't "need" any gauges, but I would recommend at least a boost gauge, whether you were upgrading or not....

You don't "need" any gauges, but I would recommend at least a boost gauge, whether you were upgrading or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well if I'm gonna get at least a boost gauge I might as well get a cradle for several right? What other gauges do I need / want?

Do you know if the radio unit has a setting where you can see the time. If not I want to keep the clock in the center console or else I won't have a clock in the car. Any suggestions on any other classy (non-ricey) locations for the gauges.

From one newbie to another, I too am figuring out my upgrade path. Iím pretty much in the same boat as bigd. I feel as though Handling should come first. Your car should be able to handle all of that extra power. And after all, if you just wanted raw power, you would have bought a Mustang or a Camaro.

Iíve been reading a lot on what makes the biggest difference when it comes to handling. Of course, your tires are up there with the most important first upgrades. I found a store that has a lot of good information on what tires to would be good for which application on your wrx. Since they also sell the tires that they recommend, it might be a little biased, but here you have it: http://subydude.com/osc/product_info...roducts_id=321
    Somewhere in there they mention the significance of upgrading to 17Ē wheels and putting tires that have the same outer diameter as the stock (so you donít need to adjust your speedometer). The smaller sidewall improves the carsís handling response.
    Check this link out to get some info on the different wheel specs: http://www.subydude.com/osc/wheelinfo.php

I also found that the articles on sportcompactcarís website are very informative. Check out the links at the top for the wrx project car. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/ They certainly make you drool and wish you had their job!

Good luck and wish me luck!

If I were to do it all again, here's what I would do...

Prodrive spings
    17x8 wheels (+48 offset) wrapped in sticky 225/45/17 rubber from Subydude
    Performance alignment (see sticky in suspension forum)
    Adjustable rear sway + endlinks
    Stoptech stage 2 brake kit (pads, rotors,lines,fluid)
    Gauges
    UP + TBE
    Cobb Accessport

Hey watsup,

I agree with buying new tires but I dunno about changing the rims. Its more of a look thing.

not true.. aftermarket rims (larger diameter) around 17 and 18" for our cars actually do increase handling. The rim is stiffer than the tire, and will deflect less under hard cornering. a taller tire (smaller rim) will distort under heavy load, and thats where you see the car cornering on the sidewakk instead of the tread.

anyhting bigger than 18" on a WRX will hurt performance.

also, 17" and 18" rims are wider. wider tires increase the footprint, and thus, increase grip. I'm looking into a set of 5Zigen FN01R-C's that are 18x8.5. I want my car to hold over 1G in the corners.

Tires determine grip, and the wheels (rims) determine what tires you can use.
    Dave
    01 RS

I see thanks... Rims also cost an arm and a leg so I think Im gonna hold off on that and just focus on getting everything I need to compliment the increase in hp ill get from the Accessport. Will replacing the stock tires give me enough control to counter the 30 hp increase or should i look into braklines and sway bars etc.

Also any ideas on the gauge question I asked before?

Gauges won't be cheap... Boost is most important, whether you're tuning or not.

I would also look into EGT, (Exhaust Gas Temp), Oil Temp, Fuel Pressure, and Water Temp.. those seem to be some of the most important. Voltage is good to have sometimes. For a decent set of gauges, you're looking around $600+ easily. The good gauges will allow you to "replay" a period of time, because you can't always watch the gauges while you're driving aggressively, so its nice to see what was going on.

You don't need gauges unless you're tuning heavily.. a Cobb AP with only a couple bolt ons (Uppipe, TBE, etc) wouldn't justify a bunch of gauges. However, if you're getting into bigger turbos, water injection, bigger injectors, fuel pumps, deeper engine mods, UTEC, you NEED the gauges. for now, just get a small boost gauge and mount it on the steering column.

You will be fine on the stock tire size unless you feel it is lacking. And that totally depends on driving style. For now, I'd say just get better tires. You can get a lot of grip out of them if your suspension is set up well. (springs, swaybar set, endlinks, etc) Get rims down the road when you want a better look and more meat under the fenders... bigger wheels also allow for bigger brakes... (:
    Dave
    01 RS

I agree with bigd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12