just bought modded 02 and need direction

This is a discussion on just bought modded 02 and need direction within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, quick rundown on me and my car. been looking at these forums for about a week before i ...

just bought modded 02 and need direction

Hey guys, quick rundown on me and my car.
    been looking at these forums for about a week before i bought my car have a pretty good basic knowledge of cars (engines, electronics, etc.) I bought my car from the local adventure subaru it is a silver 02 with 37k miles on it and it already has mods. I know it has exhaust from downpipe to muffler pretty sure thats TBE but dont wanna look dumb. Also has pillar mounted autometer boost gauge and pyrometer, and thats all i know for sure right now.

questions
    PERFORMANCE
    I dont have much money but wanna do some stuff are there any performance mods that are worth the money and going to keep me within a couple of hundred also looking to keep decent gas mileage. I was thinking of getting a BOV just something cheap for the sound also thinking of some type of intake also maybe a MBC. my car is peaking at a little under 15psi should i not mess with the boost for risk of messing something up or what

AUDIO
    I already have 2 rockford hx2's and everything that goes with it. I also have a pioneer headunit that a can take out of my old car (deh 7600mp). I wanna do a custom fiberglass enclosure but dont know the exact fleece/cloth i need, and is there any extra wiring like amp bypasses or anything that comes with replaces the headunit, or do you recommend keeping the old stock 6 disk. I am open to other suggestions keeping in mind the budget but also that i work at best buy and enjoy the beautiful employee discount.

EXTERIOR
    I was thinking about doing a mesh grille if i can find some good mesh, and probably going to do clear bumper lights. If i can find the time i also want to clear out my headlights, maybe change out some bulbs as well.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LONG DRAWN OUT POORLY WORDED PARAGRAPHS ANY AND ALL GOOD ADVICE AND GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PS i love my car so far
    Last edited by NavSa829; 08-11-2005 at 01:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

first of all, do NOT get intake it will mess with your car horribly

second, your car should not be boosting over 13.5psi unless
    a) previous owner installed manual boost controller and upped the boost (possibly bad)
    b) it has proper engine management (good)

if it has an MBC, get rid of it and spring for engine management (run a search, AP, ecutek, etc)
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

i have been looking for the manual boost controller and cant find it, and is there any may i can tell if it has engine management or is that just something that was upgraded and unplugged?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome Read the stickies at the top.

Welcome to the board!

I've had my wrx for 2.5 years now, and still love it! Definitely stay away from the intake. That was my first "mod" and I had it on for about eight hours. My car idled poorly and the CEL came on. I got a really nice Blitz Stainless too. I put the stock intake back on, all was well again! Pass on the bov, too much money for a good one, use that money for something worthwhile... endlinks, up/pipe, etc.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

Welcome to the club.

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum.
    Good first mods

Also check the sticky in engine performance. There is tons of info there for you.

As mentioned, I would stay away from the intake, BOV and MBC. Put all that money into engine mgmt.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the car.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC