plain language mod help...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on plain language mod help... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I own a 2003 wrx.... all stock... im not a car guy by any means but would like to upgrade ...

plain language mod help...

I own a 2003 wrx.... all stock... im not a car guy by any means but would like to upgrade performance...

I was told to get a Catback exhaust (borla), cold air intake, and downpipe for starters.

With that in mind, will any of these mods cause any problems for the car (and don't use that technical jargon on me please)?
    Will I need to make any other changes when I do the downpipe install (Perrin Catless)?

How much of a power difference will I see with the above??

And before anyone reminds me, I know these topics have been covered...but I don't understand the technical language that is used in many of the postings....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You won't see any gain from a cold air intake, some even hurt performance. The cat-back won't give you much of a power gain but the sound alone is worth I think. The downpipe is definitely a good power mod. Maybe get upipe, downpipe and a cat back.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

will I have to do any mods to the car or computer with the downpipe / up pipe/ catback??

Any idea how much power gained from these mods?

And how would the cold air intake hurt performance?

And will the Catless downpipe interfere with passing a NYS inspection?
    Last edited by WRXNYC; 08-10-2005 at 01:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Youll probably gain around 20 horsepower. You wont pass inspection...but you could switch it back to stock so you do.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

the 20 hp is in regards to which mods?

any idea on the cold air intake?

1. You don't have to get engine management but you'll get more power from those mods if you do. However if you go with a catless up/downpipe you'll need a cel fix, which keeps the check engine light form coming on all the time.

2. around 7-10hp for upipe, 12-15 hp for downpipe, around 5hp for the cat back.

3. The intake creates turbulent airflow around the air sensor causeing a sporadic a/f ratio. Some don't have this problem, but none of them really give you any more hp. Its better to do the intake snorkel hack and drop in a K&N panel filter (do a search you'll find information on how to do it)

4. Catless up and downpipe will interfer with any state inspection. I'm not sure how picky NY inspectors are since I live in CA but you can get a highflow catted up/downpipe which will still get you similar gains.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-10-2005 at 02:24 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

ok...now what is a cel fix and is it needed for just the down pipe?

It keeps the check engine light from coming on all the time. You'll need one for the upipe and one for the downpipe. (Do a search and you can find which ones should get)
    FORZA FERRARI

in plain english, upgrading the downpipe is illegal, b/c it's tampering with emissions equipment. most of us don't care about that, so we do it anyway, but it's something to consider. the downpipe alone will free up around 10-15hp.

you'll want to get a CEL fix, or a "simulator" which are both parts that will keep a check engine light from coming on (b/c the car's computer will notice the catalytic converter is gone) the simulator will also allow you to pass emissions if your state tests with the OBDII plug, rather than the "sniffer" in the tailpipe method. that depends on your state.

don't do the CAI. I could get into it, but everyone will tell you not to bother. it won't give any real power, and can potentially make your car run worse.

the catback will be mostly a sound mod. it might free up 5hp or so at the most, but it'll be mostly for changing the sound of the car, and increasing volume. if you're interested in more power, consider doign your uppipe instead. it's cheaper, won't change the sound of the car too much (you'll hear the turbo spool up more) and will increase power and make the boost come on sooner (decreases turbo lag)

depending on your budget, you might want to consider reflashing your ECU (chipping the car) this will cost around $650, but will increase power, as well as change your computer to better utilize the freed up airflow you created with the downpipe. it's not necessary but you'll get even more power.

hope that helps.

dR

thanks for all the help...

by the way.. what is a "intake snorkel hack"?

already ordered the downpipe...will it run well w/o the up pipe for the time being or should I do them at the same time?

It's easier to do them both at the sime tipe but you don't have to.

the intake snorkus is part of the stock air intake, by removing the snorkus you hear more of the turbo sounds (which is a big plus) and get a power increase of a couple hp or so.

heres a link that explains how to do it

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113
    FORZA FERRARI

ok..here is where I stand so far...and thanks to your great replies...

I have on order...

Perrin O2 Simulator
    Borla Catback Exhaust
    Perrin Catless Downpipe
    Yokohama AVid v4s tires

I cancelled the cold air intake...

I'll probably stop there for now and wait till all this stuff is installed and tested before I move on. My only concern for now is the NYS Inspection but I guess I will deal with that hurdle when it comes.

Any more future suggestions to add on to the above list (easier the better)...?

Thanks a lot guys... Making this so painless for me

Definiteley a good list.
    FORZA FERRARI

Good list. the only thing i'd suggest is doing the uppipe with the downpipe. it'll save you some $$, b/c to do the DP, they'll already be in the same area working around the turbo.

otherwise, you'll pay more in labor to get back in there and do it later. the UP will add some lower end grunt, which wil lcompliment the DP's upper end grunt. you'll be surprised at how much better the car does on the highway in 4th gear with that list of mods.

remember, it'll take a tank of gas or so for the ECU to "learn" the new mods, and you to really feel the increase. there'll be some increase right away, and over the next weeks it'll keep getting faster.

otherwise, that's a serious setup! nice job dude! and good pick on the tires. the stockers suck.

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 08-10-2005 at 03:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.