first test drive earlier this afternoon

This is a discussion on first test drive earlier this afternoon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; the cars spec sheet speaks for itself. i want an honest assessment from all you fellows about the quality of ...

first test drive earlier this afternoon

the cars spec sheet speaks for itself. i want an honest assessment from all you fellows about the quality of the car.

I'm really tired of performance cars that require your own full time employed performance car mechanic in order to keep streetable. all i want is a car i can drive daily and take to the track a couple times a year.

can any of you give me a heads up? im looking at both 05 and 06 sti's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a very reliable car (check consumer reports I think suabru was #1 in reliability). The only issue is the transmission, but as long as you don't abuse it and launch it all the time it'll last you along time.

EDIT: now a realize your looking at an STi (disregard my transmission statement)
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-04-2005 at 10:28 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

what do you mean the only problem is the transmission? like they are sketchy? or is it like the focus SVT where the clutch and flywheel were poorly designed and there is a technical service bulletin to replace any affected by it for free?

i read the consumer reports and that's what lead me to the STi instead of EVO9 in the first place . . . but corporate magazines never give the gritty like actual enthusiests do

The transmission on the STi is very strong, and can take some abuse. If you are looking for a daily driver/track car the STi is a perfect combination of both

yeah the regular WRX tranny is good to handle the majority of the mods out there however over 300hp, u will want to get some new gear sets for it to keep it going. the STi tranny is very sturdy and reliable. just dont be doing launches alot. insurance is up there for an STi but reasonably priced for a WRX. i recently went stage 2 and this thing flies like the best of them.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

i rarely launch my car - maybe 6-8 track trips a year and then only when i add mods to see the difference.

the mods i plan on are basic bolt ons - the kind that will check out with the dealership and i get the official okay from the service dept. manager prior to installing. then again with 300bhp i doubt i'll have any trouble with killing my itch for more.

basically i just want a daily driver that will be my daily driver. not daily driver for 3 weeks then in the shop for 1.

Quote Originally Posted by stibuyer
    then again with 300bhp i doubt i'll have any trouble with killing my itch for more.

oh trust me you're going to want to mod it once u get used to the power.

The sti wouldn't be a bad choice for a daily driver. It's reliable. The only minor problem u might come across is gas mileage. Not that it gets bad gas mileage for a turbo car, but just something to think about (goes for all turbo cars really).

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    oh trust me you're going to want to mod it once u get used to the power.

The sti wouldn't be a bad choice for a daily driver. It's reliable. The only minor problem u might come across is gas mileage. Not that it gets bad gas mileage for a turbo car, but just something to think about (goes for all turbo cars really).

i hear you about gas mileage - but yeah i know i'll eventually want to mod it but that will be when the warranty is far out the door and money for repairs is the last of my concerns. i just don't want the car going to **** on me before i pay it off and i dont want to become buddies with the service techs because im forced to see them so often from a check engine light

OOPs sorry I thought you were lookign at a wrx not at an STi ignore my previous complaint about transmissions. The STi doesn't have the same transmission problems
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

sti

sti's rule

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd recommend an STi to anyone who is planning on using it as a daily driver and weeknd track car, as long as you can put up with the ride, or you have smooth roads to commute on.

Just by upgrading the pads, brake lines, and brake fluid, it is track ready and will but a beat-down on the majority of vehicles you run into at an FATT or something of that nature.

As for modding it...even that is covered as just a TBE and Cobb flash produces C6 like numbers and it is very easy to return it to stock if needed.

Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums