without a wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on without a wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone, im not going to lie... i dont have a subaru. im a huge fan but the price is ...

without a wrx

hey everyone, im not going to lie... i dont have a subaru. im a huge fan but the price is out of my hands right now. im in the waiting process to find out if my brothers 05' sti is totaled. if so, this newbe will have a brand new sti in his hands for fixing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i like vw's and corolla GTS's, im a member at vwvortex and club4ag, i dont own either (or i use to).

I think everyone here, or most people, surfed through forums before purchasing the car. Its called smart shopping.

thats true, im a "car guy" i guess you could say. but im also 19 and in school, so $35 thousand dollars is a little out of my price range, but if i can get a totaled one for $7000 i can fix pretty easy, im an automotive student and 3 of my roommates are collision and repair students. im also way too exited about a car that i might not even get depending on how the insurence company feels.

yea, 35k is a lot for a car. I'm 20 and im working 2 jobs to keep this car. But i'm lucky, my parents helped me a bit with it.

i dont think i would spend that much on a car, they are so over priced (personal opinion) i think if i dont get my brothers totaled sti im just going to take a loan for 15k and get a 02' wrx, i dont discriminate against a used car, they just need a little more tlc

i honestly rather get a used car than a new car. When i got my wrx, i was debating between the 04 wrx or a Scion tC. I went for the 04 wrx because the tC was about the same price out the door. I rather have a turbo awd than FF.

15k is a lot for a loan.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger train
    i dont think i would spend that much on a car, they are so over priced (personal opinion) i think if i dont get my brothers totaled sti im just going to take a loan for 15k and get a 02' wrx, i dont discriminate against a used car, they just need a little more tlc
    I'll bet in a few years your personal opinion will change. The STi, along with the Evo (not a fan but recognize a killer ride when I see one) is likely the best performance bargain in the US at this moment. Hands down. After all, can you name another vehicle that can match their performance specs in all categories and in the same price range? Nope...nothing else out there.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I'll bet in a few years your personal opinion will change. The STi, along with the Evo (not a fan but recognize a killer ride when I see one) is likely the best performance bargain in the US at this moment. Hands down. After all, can you name another vehicle that can match their performance specs in all categories and in the same price range? Nope...nothing else out there.
    In my opinion, newer cars are a bit expensive. However,i think in our age bracket, it is really difficult to purchase a new car, nevertheless a wrx without parental support. And because of that reason, cars well over the 10k range in my opinion is expensive (thats half a years worth of tuition!)

I believe as people mature, they begin to recognize that new cars don't really have strings attached when your thinking about what has happened to it in the past (IE. mechanical failures, etc.). And THAT sense of security is a big plus.

And by then, we will probably mature to bigger cars that aren't geared towards performance per say. (unless your thinking Legacy GT which will probably be my next car after grad school).

My thoughts vary greatly. I consider myself a "car guy" meaning I really love all makes and models, and can do a lot of my own stuff to my car(s). That being said I have purchased new cars exclusively the past 11 or so years(4 cars, 3 for me, 1 for my wife). I can't even imagine how some people treat and drive their cars. Even with warranties and the such, I don't want to deal with the headaches that can sometimes come with a used car purchase. Specifically on a car like an STI, WRX, or EVO, where there is a greater chance of abuse. Lets be honest, they are a blast to drive. Then again, I can see where some people come from, as i am older and have a more disposable income. I'm a member(more of a lurker, as I don't post much) on many car forums. Cars that i have(had)-WRX,STI,G35,Integra,GTI. As well as cars I love, Evolution, 350z, and many others. Cars are awesome, enjoy them. Best of luck getting that STI back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by lugee
    i honestly rather get a used car than a new car. When i got my wrx, i was debating between the 04 wrx or a Scion tC. I went for the 04 wrx because the tC was about the same price out the door. I rather have a turbo awd than FF.

15k is a lot for a loan.
    hey dude thas exactly waht i'm debating on now.... geting a new scion tc or a slightlly used 03,04 wrx, i'm more on the rex side but my parents (who are gonna help me a lil) are on the sdie of getting a new car.... guyz have ny ideas on wahti can say about the wrx's to convince em to go to the rex side... i mean i like the tc and i think its defenitly worth the price for waht u got but.... oh man awd turbo and that nice growling sound! i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX,WIHO
    hey dude thas exactly waht i'm debating on now.... geting a new scion tc or a slightlly used 03,04 wrx, i'm more on the rex side but my parents (who are gonna help me a lil) are on the sdie of getting a new car.... guyz have ny ideas on wahti can say about the wrx's to convince em to go to the rex side... i mean i like the tc and i think its defenitly worth the price for waht u got but.... oh man awd turbo and that nice growling sound! i love it!
    I know for me, i went with the wrx because im paying for part of it. My parents and I had debates about new or used. Their argument is that you wont have to worry about it breaking down. I told them that i would rather have a slightly used car that worth 25K rather than a new car that is worth 15k. the 2 door and 4 door thing. ETC. They also know that i am in love with this car. I told them that it was going to be my car, so if i don't enjoy it, theres no use in getting a car (which, to their advantage, i help them run a lot of errands). So there you go. I hope that helps you. But honestly, if your parents are going to pay for hte majority of it, they should have a pretty big say in what your purchasing.

I Support ClubWRX
    You are in Chicago. AWD should be all they need to convince themselves. Just tell them you will have a Subaru mechanic check it out. As long as they verify the clutch and transmission are in top shape, and do a compression check on all the cylinders, I'd say you would be good to go. Understand about the price range thing, but the tC just doesn't compare....not at all. Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

yeah thnx for replies, but i'll try get that rex and convince my parents to see that it is ok, now as for a mechanic, my friends dad isa mechanic so he might be able to check it out, unless u need a subaru mechanic?? as for compression tests, where would u go to get that done? just so u guyz know, the used wrx that i' m looking at right now is at a chevy dealership

bad news for me

well guys & girls, this is one subaru fan that wont get his hands on the 05' sti... for now.
    my brothers totaled car is 100% F***ed, the only thing left on it that is working is the engine, needs new tranny and body is so awful words cant describe. its been a while since i have checked this thread i thought it was forgotten about till i just got the first email in a while from the latest reply.

although im young and i do think used cars are a better deal, its primarily becuase i tend to look for the best deals in every situation and if im going to strip a wrx down to nothing and possibly give it a sti swap and a roll cage (strictly for autocross racing) a brand spankin new car is not my best bet. although if i had 39,000g (insurence estimate for brothers car after tax and aftermarket mods) to drop on a brand new sti... i would do it in a heart beat.
    or just build two sweet hondas.

Hey guys,
    I'm new to this forum also. I'm new to the performance car thing so i'm joining different forums and seeing what things people are doing to their cars. I'm also a young working college student and just two months ago my SC2 got rocked by a tractor trailer and I needed a new vehicle. The WRX was on the very top of my list but the $$$ was a little far out of my reach. So sense I had a Saturn before I went back there to check out the Ion Redline. I must say, I've been very happy with it since I got it. And for you guys looking for a quick car, with a warranty thats a little easier on the wallet, I would actually recommend the Redline. The style is nice IMO and the performance is really good and overall its a safe car, and GM has their employee pricing and such that really makes it an overall sweet deal. Just trying to spread the word that there is a middle ground between the Scion and a $26,000 WRX. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast