Newbie with a few questions!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie with a few questions!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, im new to the WRX community..i just got an 05 WRX in blue (pretty original, i know) and ...

Newbie with a few questions!!!

Hey guys, im new to the WRX community..i just got an 05 WRX in blue (pretty original, i know) and all i've done to it is an Apex GT spec cat-back, and Blitz blow off valve...everything is cool..i was just wondering as to why intakes and boost controllers aren't recommended on the 04+ WRX's???? just curious...and i was also wondering wat mods some of the more experienced WRX owners would recommend next based on wat i've done???? keep in mind tho, im sorta on a tight budget... i only have a part time job cause im still in high school, going into my senior year...any help would be appreciated tho..thanx....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    All you have to do to free up air movement is to remove the restrictive box before the air intake box. It's in the fender well. Do a search & you'll find out how to do it
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

the reason intakes are not good for wrxs on stock engine management is because they make the cars run lean...boost controllers are a def no go on the 04/05 cars because they have an open closed fuel loop which means at partial throttle, you will recieve full boost withou the propper amount of fuel makin you run lean and possibly blowing up your motor...i would suggest getting the Cobb AccessPort to help solve the problems that are associated with the open/closed fuel loop....after that i would suggest getting full exhaust which would be an up pipe and a down pipe and you already have the catback...then flash stage 2
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

welcome to the club...here's your complimentary BOV and CAI. enjoy your stay.

(sorry...couldn't resist)
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Welcome. Def do up and down pipes and free up the rest of the exhaust!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

intakes mess with the MAF sensor readings. For some reason, cars running aftermarket intakes run inconcistenly...not too rich or too lean, but just plain inconsistent...which is why you can't tune for them...just tune around them. Fortunately the stock intake can handle about 350-400 flywheel horsepower so its not really a problem...#1 reason why people put in intakes is to make more noise and because they're easy to do and you can feel like you did a mod.

the BOV is also not a good idea, but you probably know that already

boost controllers are a bad idea because while they increase your boost, they DON'T change your fuel map. that means you're running the same ammount of fuel, with more boost. extra fuel is added at higher boost to actually cool the cylinder (because it doesn't burn), without it you have yourself an old fasioned cylinder roast. Especially because of the 04's quirky open loop to closed loop transistion to get better smog numbers, you don't want to mess with MBC's.

best way to do boost control is to get EM and control it through the stock EBC. that way you can add more fuel as you raise your boost.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club! The "snorkus" removal is the best bet intake wise. I haven't gotten around to this yet. This is a popular way to go:

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/intake/g...ntakeelbow.htm << These can be found many places.

i wouldn't remove it. you lose the ram-air effect...sure its not much but why lost ANY performance just for some noise? if you want noisemaker get a Honda.
    go f*** yourself

thanx, i appreciate all the advice, i think i'll stick to upgrading the down/up pipes for now, then maybe take out the cat...we'll see...ill post once i do...any suggestions on which pipes to upgrade with?

i forgot to ask...wat is it bout an aftermarket BOV that isn't so great???

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    intakes mess with the MAF sensor readings. For some reason, cars running aftermarket intakes run inconcistenly...not too rich or too lean, but just plain inconsistent...which is why you can't tune for them...just tune around them. Fortunately the stock intake can handle about 350-400 flywheel horsepower so its not really a problem...#1 reason why people put in intakes is to make more noise and because they're easy to do and you can feel like you did a mod.

the BOV is also not a good idea, but you probably know that already

boost controllers are a bad idea because while they increase your boost, they DON'T change your fuel map. that means you're running the same ammount of fuel, with more boost. extra fuel is added at higher boost to actually cool the cylinder (because it doesn't burn), without it you have yourself an old fasioned cylinder roast. Especially because of the 04's quirky open loop to closed loop transistion to get better smog numbers, you don't want to mess with MBC's.

best way to do boost control is to get EM and control it through the stock EBC. that way you can add more fuel as you raise your boost.
    That is some damn good information right there. I really do feel smarter just by reading that. And i think i'm going to get that intake elbow though.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I don't know if the intake elbow does anything. I have one, its been in there for some time, but I don't think it really does anything. I just needed the room the silencer took up for my water spray pump and some electronics.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I don't know if the intake elbow does anything. I have one, its been in there for some time, but I don't think it really does anything. I just needed the room the silencer took up for my water spray pump and some electronics.
    don't do the snork. removal unless you get the connector from GP moto... that connector connects the ram air thing directly to the air box.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.