Turbo Timer - A good investment????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo Timer - A good investment???? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone! I've been told that a turbo timer is not a bad initial mod on a WRX (I'm actually ...

Turbo Timer - A good investment????

Hi everyone! I've been told that a turbo timer is not a bad initial mod on a WRX (I'm actually buying an '02 WRX but know the history of the car - hasn't been abused). I'd be interested in others' experience with the TT - something I should be installing or avoiding (what are the risks, if any)? It seems to make sense as a way to cool down the turbo. I've seen them on e-Bay for as little as $9.00 and $100+ (do you get what you pay for?). If I go forward, the HKS Type-O turbo timer is the one being recommended (about $110). Would be interested in hearing from new/veteran Subie owners on this. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you can find one cheap, sure why not. Its a good investmant if you tend to drive your car hard alot..
    V-TECS are a Plymouth Breeze!
    "Watch my back, word?"

The way the stock WRX turbo is designed you don't need one. Put the money into something else.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

i have a greddy turbo timer, and i think its the greatest thing ever
    on those hot days when im riding hard then shut down my car i dont have to worry about the engine cooling down, cause it does it for me
    i dont know if its necessary, but it gives you a nice peace of mind

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    The way the stock WRX turbo is designed you don't need one. Put the money into something else.
    Well put. They are water cooled so when the car is off the turbo continues to be cooled off. The only time people ever really let the car cool down is when they have been driving it hard they let it idle for about 30 seconds or so. Doesnt really need more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by '02'RX
    Hi everyone! I've been told that a turbo timer is not a bad initial mod on a WRX (I'm actually buying an '02 WRX but know the history of the car - hasn't been abused). I'd be interested in others' experience with the TT - something I should be installing or avoiding (what are the risks, if any)? It seems to make sense as a way to cool down the turbo. I've seen them on e-Bay for as little as $9.00 and $100+ (do you get what you pay for?). If I go forward, the HKS Type-O turbo timer is the one being recommended (about $110). Would be interested in hearing from new/veteran Subie owners on this. Thanks!

most subie guys buy them because they look cool because they can leave the engine on, get out of the car, and the car will shut down by itself. It really isn't needed. But if you want to get one, you might as well get the Blitz DTT DCII turbo timer. Almost every subaru owner with a turbo timer has one, because of the boost gauge built in (it isn't very accurate though).

I Support ClubWRX
    mmm I have an HKS type 1. It was 100 bucks, easy install. I am not believing the whole my turbo is cooled with coolant thing.... Yes the turbo has a coolant feed and return line, but that coolant will sit still and not move thru the lines unless the water pump that is belt driven is being driven by the crankshaft. The crankshaft only moved when the car is on and running.

Im not saying that the 100 bucks could be spent elsewhere but to me 100 dollars extra reliability is cool for me. I respect the guys that dont run them because they feel that the coolant feed and return is good enough and thats cool too. Bottom line is you want a turbo timer, buy it, you dont...Dont...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks everyone (re: turbo timer)

Thanks to all of you - looks like I have a split in opinion and that's fine. I tend to err on the side of caution bordering on paranoia but I've got some time to decide one way or the other. It's great having a place to come like clubwrx for some real-world help from other Subie enthusiasts - thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX
    mmm I have an HKS type 1. It was 100 bucks, easy install. I am not believing the whole my turbo is cooled with coolant thing.... Yes the turbo has a coolant feed and return line, but that coolant will sit still and not move thru the lines unless the water pump that is belt driven is being driven by the crankshaft. The crankshaft only moved when the car is on and running.

Im not saying that the 100 bucks could be spent elsewhere but to me 100 dollars extra reliability is cool for me. I respect the guys that dont run them because they feel that the coolant feed and return is good enough and thats cool too. Bottom line is you want a turbo timer, buy it, you dont...Dont...

My turbo timer was my first mod on my rex. It's my first car, and I wasn't really too knowledgable on cars. I figured it was a good way to start since it wasn't too complicated to install, but hard enough for a noob like me to get acquainted with modding and all. Plus I now have a clock in my car

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    ^ I agree...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

my blitz FATT was my first mod on my wrx also....i got it for the extra safety reason because i do drive my car hard every once and awhile and all i have to do it set it and forget it
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

we're currently selling blitz dtt dcII dual turbo timer for $118 shipped

Blitz DTT DC II Dual Turbo Timer - (Black / Silver)
    www.EvasiveMotorsports.com
    sales@evasivemotorsports.com

HKS, Greddy, Blitz, AEM, Defi, Endless, Zeal, Project Mu, EMRACING, Drive RR, Helix, Fluidyne, DRAG, Rays Engineering / Volk Racing, Tein, Takata, Work and much more!

I almost got a tt as my 2nd mod, 1st was rims and tires, but I went with a greddy boost gauge instead.
    Last edited by audio; 09-20-2005 at 06:26 AM.

The real need for a TT comes when you have an oil cooled turbo. Oil cooled turbos require after hard driving that the hot oil in the turbo be circulated out in order to avoid damaging the turbo. Oil can eventually build up on the turbo causing a decrease in power and muchhhhhhhhhhhhhh longer spool up times. My mother has a '91 MR2 turbo which is of course oil cooled and she now needs to have her turbo replace after years of hard driving and imediate shut downs, although the car has 120K on it so that might also have something to do with it. Bottom line is that the WRX uses a water cooled turbo and shouldn't require the same amount of cool down and an oil cooled turbo, but then again what do I know I'm a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX
    mmm I have an HKS type 1. It was 100 bucks, easy install. I am not believing the whole my turbo is cooled with coolant thing.... Yes the turbo has a coolant feed and return line, but that coolant will sit still and not move thru the lines unless the water pump that is belt driven is being driven by the crankshaft. The crankshaft only moved when the car is on and running..
    Wrong. Subaru designed the coolant to flow through the turbo after the car is turned off by using the heat in the coolant itself. Hot things are less dense than cold things and the heat causes coolant to flow up and pull colder coolant through the turbo. The coolant reservoir with the cap on it that is in front of the turbo, that is why it is there. Therefore, no need for a turbo timer, the car lets the physics do it for you.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast