Purchasing a 2004 STI

This is a discussion on Purchasing a 2004 STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, im goin to be buying a used 2004 STI, that is modded, i know its modded because the ...

Purchasing a 2004 STI

Hey guys, im goin to be buying a used 2004 STI, that is modded, i know its modded because the intercooler has been swaped to a front mount intercooler, and it has a CF Hood. Im not to sure what else was done to the car, but i will find out before i purchase it. Well the main reason i made this post, was just to see what i should look for when purchasing this car, and what questions to ask and what stuff to look out for when i purchase it. its a 2004 blue, has 20k miles, and their asking for 26k. The thing is it was a trade in, at a Nissan dealership, so its not at a subaru dealership but at a nissian dealership. Thnx hopefully you guys can help me out with some questions. I'm also moving up from a 2005 Jetta GLI, not the new body ones, but the mk4 ones, a 1.8T so im pretty comfortable with turbos and what not, with 180HP moving up to 300HP, do you guys think thats too much of a power improvement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

300hp is not too much-just take it easy at first.

A front mount intercooler is a very sought-after mod on WRXs, but often with these used cars you have to wonder whether all these parts were installed correctly. If you have any friends who are mechanics or know a bit about turbo cars, ask them to come with you to the dealer to check it out. Another thing to consider is that, given the nature of the car and the performance mods it has, it has likely been raced/driven aggressively. However, thats what these types of cars are built for, so If the car drives well, it shoudnt be a problem. 26k sounds like a fine price too.

Hope all goes well, post pics if/when you get it!

"too much of a power improvement?" is there such a thing?

I Support ClubWRX
    good luck with the trade in and the finance, hope everything works out, just make sure you test drive the car and dont listen to the salesmans Bull****, you know there will be plenty, Im sure he will tell you he used to work for subaru and blah blah whatever, just make sure it is the right car for you. If you have to leave that car to go to another one that is maybe a little more stock for another grand down the line so be it. Just be careful. Good Luck and a future congrats. Also welcome

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

wow, where did that part come from? Weird, anyways what do you guys think about me jumping up from a Jetta GLI with its little 1.8T at 180 hp to a 300 HP beast? Also in my 1.8t it makes it max power at 5500 and redlines at 6500, but after 5500 you can feel the turbo loose its buzz, i also heard that hte STI engeins/turbos are like this, and die out at higher RPMS, so im asking how is hte powerband on it? mixed with its gear ratios.

dnt worry its all wheel drive.... ur in good hands with a soobey... any way, if i were you ide buy a car that hasnt been modded and do it your self... chances are if it is raced out it has been abused unless you know the guy and he knows how to take care of his sheeeeiiitteeee
    whats a signature?

another quick post, i was wondering what are some of the Top manufactures of chips for STI, for my jetta, its Revo, GHX , or Dhallbaak. Just wondering what are some average gains seen from these chips, and can they remove the Govenor for the top speed. And anybody know a estimate of the top speed on the STI?

I Support ClubWRX
    Tony,
    First, welcome to the club.

Lets hope you can land this beast...as when you drive it, that is what your impression will be coming from your current car. It is much, much faster and a LOT more torquier, and that is where you will feel the biggest difference. Just take it easy for a while as it turns much quicker, stops faster, accelerates harder and is essentially much more involved to drive. This car is one step down from a supercar, and in fact posts performance numbers higher than some so-called supercars.

As for modding it, please do a search or check in with the STi forum....we can help you out there.

As for any concerns as to the shape of the vehicle, since it has a front mount, it very likely had a turbo and exhaust swap. Here are the items I would look for:
    1. Look at the turbo mounts and heat sheilds...if they are all intact and installed, that is a good sign.
    2. Get the car on a lift and look at the exhaust to check for either an aftermarket exhaust are the OEM exhaust re-installed. Shake it to see how well it is installed.
    3. Start the engine up without reving it and open up the hood. Have someone else rev it and listen for any whistles or sounds of air being sucked or blown (other than the wastegate opening and a BOV letting loose that is). What you are looking for are leaks into and out of the FMIC.
    4. Ask the dealer to perform a cylinder leak down test. This is the one item I would insist on before purchasing as it will tell you the condition of the pistons, rings, and ringlands...which are the weakest points in the STi drivetrain. If this test comes out good, I'd buy it regardless as 26K with only 20K miles is a pretty good deal.
    5. Check the brake pads as they wear quickly.
    6. Check the tires as the OEM treads aren't exactly cheap.
    7. When driving it, check that the DCCD operates, the headlight levelor works, and that the clutch and tranny synchros flow smoothly and engage well.
    8. Go slowly in as tight of a circle as possible and accelerate a little bit to listen for the differentials grinding. Whining and gear noise is normal....clunking and catching is not.
    9. Bounce the rear end up and down with your hands and listen for any clunks to check the integrity of the struts.
    10. If you have access to something that can pull and CEL codes, bring it along and do that just to ensure nothing has been wrong with the vehicle in the recent past.

All in all...it is very hard to hurt an STi as they are incredbily strong vehicles. The tranny, clutch, diffs and shafts are all hard to break as is the engine unless poor tuning is involved. IMHO, if it runs well and the compression test passes, the rest is gravy and if there are issues, can be addressed at a dealer. Since they are selling it to you with some mods in place, as them if they will honor a warranty for the mods too...can't hurt to try.

Good luck!
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 07-22-2005 at 05:25 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums