What's up guys?

This is a discussion on What's up guys? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My name is Austin and I'm 17. Right now I drive a '97 Firebird. I'm considering getting a WRX when ...

What's up guys?

My name is Austin and I'm 17. Right now I drive a '97 Firebird.

I'm considering getting a WRX when I graduate but I'm on the edge. It's between that and an '06 Mustang GT. I need some convincing (either way) and this seems like the place to get it.

Pros:
    All wheel drive
    (Slightly) Better performance than my current car for the same MPG.
    Factory Boosted
    Performance potential

Cons:
    All wheel drive (I like doing burnouts)
    Sound (I'm not big on the 4 cyl. sound)

How does the car sound with aftermarket exhaust? I've heard from some people they sound really nice.
    Should I even consider a WRX? Would it make a good college car?
    What are some of the things that you like/don't like about your Impreza?

Thanks guys. I plan to keep whatever I get for a long time and trying to make an imformed decision.
    Last edited by Horsepower84418; 07-20-2005 at 06:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i think the WRX is a good all round car for just about anything. AWD comes in handy for alot of things. the biggest advantage is your launch if u are racing. i dont race so i dont care. its perfect for college kids cuz it is a balance of fun and reliability. subaru is like #1 in warranty and reliability.
    the boxer engine has a distinct growl if u put the right exhaust on it. there is no real #1 favorite exhaust out there. everyone goes everywhere for exhaust. i am going to try the turboXS RFL-Ti exhaust and see how it goes.
    Things in love about my scooby: 4 door with nice interior, 6 disc cd player, heated seats, sunroof, turbocharged!!!, AWD, alot of HP/TQ for less cash.
    things i hate: loses too much power through the drivetrain (170-180 to the wheels), handling isnt the greatest in the world (needs new sway bars), and ummm....cant think of anything else in particular.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

I know this seems counter-productive but how hard would it be to make the car RWD? Wouldn't that cutdown on the drivetrain loss?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower84418
    I know this seems counter-productive but how hard would it be to make the car RWD? Wouldn't that cutdown on the drivetrain loss?
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. As much as it pains me to say this, if you are even remotely serious about converting to two wheel drive, go with the Mustang. The Subaru is a purpose built car, and I doubt it could even be converted to two wheel drive, since Subaru does not make two wheel drive vehicles.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I'm not dead set on RWD, just curious.

Seems like the WRX would be an easier car to live with as a daily driver.

since u live in TX, might as well get a stang!
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not dead set on RWD, just curious.

Seems like the WRX would be an easier car to live with as a daily driver.
    Well (you might get some argument here) the WRX gets decent gas milage, when stock the car is docile till 3,000 RPM which means more civility, and when you do get on it, there is no other feeling like being thrown back in your seat when the turbo spools .( And the launch from a stop is pretty awesome too). Before you make a decision, I highly reccomend taking a WRX for a test drive.. you won't regret it and you'll know better what you are getting
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

The more I look into it, the more I'm leaning to the WRX. What are some of the usual mods that most people do?

(Sorry..i'm sure you guys have been asked these questions way too many times, but i'm a total newb when it comes to Subaru's (didn't even consider them till a friend brought me to the light). Trying to learn more about them, they seem like really nice cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    The more I look into it, the more I'm leaning to the WRX. What are some of the usual mods that most people do?

(Sorry..i'm sure you guys have been asked these questions way too many times, but i'm a total newb when it comes to Subaru's (didn't even consider them till a friend brought me to the light). Trying to learn more about them, they seem like really nice cars.
    As a general rule, to start you'll want engine management and turbo back exhaust. You'll also want to stay away from blow off valves (BOV) and intakes. At least until you are ready to get a little more involved in the tuning of your car. If you can afford the '06 Mustang, may I suggest a STi? They are 300HP and have a stronger 6 spd tranny and better brakes, just to start.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber
    The Subaru is a purpose built car, and I doubt it could even be converted to two wheel drive, since Subaru does not make two wheel drive vehicles.
    You can indeed convert your WRX to RWD. Theres a drift racer in Japan who has a modified RWD STi. Anyways to make your car RWD. Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

And I heard making it FWD in an automatic is as easy as pulling out a fuse. Of course, using only 2 wheels in an AWD system is sure of a waste. AWD systems are generally heavier than RWD and FWD drive systems so make use of it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trippy
    You can indeed convert your WRX to RWD. Theres a drift racer in Japan who has a modified RWD STi. Anyways to make your car RWD. Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

And I heard making it FWD in an automatic is as easy as pulling out a fuse. Of course, using only 2 wheels in an AWD system is sure of a waste. AWD systems are generally heavier than RWD and FWD drive systems so make use of it!
    Very interesting stuff!! Thanks for the info!!
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts