Drove my first WRX!

This is a discussion on Drove my first WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I drove a WRX for the first time just the other day and to be honest i was seriously dissapointed. ...

Drove my first WRX!

I drove a WRX for the first time just the other day and to be honest i was seriously dissapointed. It was a silver WRX 95k miles and it was a 2002 5spd. THe shifter felt rough and didnt feel smooth what so ever. And it wasnt a good rough. ALso the clutch disengaged pretty much at the very top and it felt really funny making it a very different drive. Also the car wasnt nearly as fast as I had anticipated it would be. Either way could it just have been that specific car? What were your first reactions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would help if we know what you had in your head as far as expectations and comparisons...

Sounds like a seriously messed up car though... 95k on a 2002... THats a lot of miles... Clutch is probobly toast....

The first thing i thought was a toasted clutch as well... I dont know if I had any comparisons I just expected something quicker I guess thats all... It seemed to handle exceptionally but the brakes also didnt seem right on this car. I am def going to have to drive another because before I drove this particular wrx the wrx was the car that i knew i wanted now im skeptical

the 02's have this factory 'defect' about them which causes the clutch to suck balls. it's called clutch shudder or something and at 95k i'm sure it's taken it's toll on the car.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

I would definately be buying a used one but should I look into the 03's then? Did it also come on the 03's?

Also one thing that I definately noticed was the turbo lag. For how small the turbo is you dont really start even feeling the boost untill about 3700 rpm or so. Does that seem right. It didnt seem till about 4000rpm would the car even start to go.

try driving a 2003 or 2004 with low miles...we have a used 2002 wagon that has 35k on it and it drives great.... when you get up in miles, if the car has not been properly cared for, it shows big time.... id keep looking..if you get the chance, test drive a 2004 or 2005 with about 10k on it....then make your decision on how you feel about a WRX.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I will see if I can get out there and drive a newer one just to see if I happened to drive a junk one. Either way I love these cars and I def hope that that one just wasnt up to par.

it sounds like that one had issues....and probably not running as designed... be best to stay under 60k, but regardless of miles, to get one that has been taken care of
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth