cRAzY dUDe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on cRAzY dUDe within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i was up near my new apartment and i was in my GTO and some dude pulled up next to ...

cRAzY dUDe

i was up near my new apartment and i was in my GTO and some dude pulled up next to me in a regular lookin wrx. a few years older. well i was wit my boys, so i had to rev my engine alittle. lol. so i waited till he got out of car and asked him wat year it was. he said a "2000" i asked him how much he paid. he said $15000. then i was like thx and was about to pull away but he then added, "but i put $20,000" into it and made it into an STI. so by simple math $15000 + $20000 = $35000. a brand new STI cost $32000. so he would have had an extra $3000 to fix up his "could have been BRAND NEW STI." so any agrees that he is kinda nuts or is there some smarts to wat he did?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

?

?

There is a little bit of history behind what he has done.

To start, the WRX was first imported into the US as a MY2002. Prior to that year the standard non-turbo Impreza was imported. The WRX and STi have been around for many years in Japan, Europe and the UK. To give you an idea the current STi that is in the US is the Version 8.

Before 2002 Suby enthusiasts in the US felt like they got the short end of the stick with the version that got imported. What some hardcore enthusiasts, who love the older body style (GC), have done is buy a USDM GC Impreza (a MY2000 in your example) and purchase a JDM V7 or STi engine, tranny, etc and swap them into the USDM model. This essentially make it an STi. The combined light body, V7 STi engine and tranny make this a very, very fast car.

Hope this helps.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Are you in the states? The WRX didn't come to the states until 2002, so that is interesting that he would say 2000.

People modify cars and spend alot of money for different reasons. One is for the pure enjoyment of modifying a car and turning wrenches. Another, is because poeple don't have a large sum of money lying around at one time. A third is poeple want to make thier car better than their cars' big brothers.

In my experience, the second reason is the most common. In this guys case, I suspect he didn't have 32k to plunk down on a car at one time. I know I couldn't do it. What he WAS able to do is over time save up and buy parts for his car. This makes it both more affordable and rewarding. If he payed 15k for the car and then the same day spent 20k on parts, I can see your opinion being valid.

The majority of us on this board aren't rich. We do what we can and can afford. We save up little by little for a part so that we may enjoy it. Cars are a hobby like say stamp collecting (ok bad example). Do you go out and buy every stamp in your collection at once? No, you collect them one by one over time.

my.02

~myke

Edit: beat me to it WRC_Obsessed. Right on point.
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

another good thing about having the older model is cheaper insurance...i would have gotten the sti instead of my wrx but insurance was an extra $1000 a year
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

ok

i understand wat ur sayin. the more and more peop talk about the STI the more and more i want one. like i stated before, i dont race for money and i have never modded my car but i love to race around. one problem is i never drove a manual, but im gonna learn this week. would the STI be harder to drive than a manual WRX????

if you have a wrx and dive an sti it will take time to adjust to the 6spd....when i drove an sti i would missed the shift into third gear because the gates are closer and the throw from 2nd to third is shorter
    05 STI

Quote Originally Posted by NewCar20
    i understand wat ur sayin. the more and more peop talk about the STI the more and more i want one. like i stated before, i dont race for money and i have never modded my car but i love to race around. one problem is i never drove a manual, but im gonna learn this week. would the STI be harder to drive than a manual WRX????
    I didn't have a problem going from my WRX to STi.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

it just took me a lil to adjust because the gates are closer than in the 5spd
    05 STI

ok so the gates are close on the STI than the WRX, but is that all thats different? does the STI handel different or anything?

ok so the gates are close on the STI than the WRX, but is that all thats different? does the STI handel different or anything?
    When you are talking "handle different or anything" are you talking about suspension, braking, etc?
    -Brian

the sti is a totally different car than the wrx....i took a long sweeping 180 degree turn in a sti at very high speed and it just stuck...no body roll or anything...the sti outhandles, outdrives, and outperforms the wrx in every way
    05 STI

I think you just need to spend a lot of time researching the STi and WRX. There is lots of info on the site.
    -Brian

sid
    i was up near my new apartment and i was in my GTO and some dude pulled up next to me in a regular lookin wrx. a few years older. well i was wit my boys, so i had to rev my engine alittle. lol. so i waited till he got out of car and asked him wat year it was. he said a "2000" i asked him how much he paid. he said $15000. then i was like thx and was about to pull away but he then added, "but i put $20,000" into it and made it into an STI. so by simple math $15000 + $20000 = $35000. a brand new STI cost $32000. so he would have had an extra $3000 to fix up his "could have been BRAND NEW STI." so any agrees that he is kinda nuts or is there some smarts to wat he did?????

I would call him an "enthusiast". You sir are not.

im not an

enthusiast, because i would rather buy a car for $32000 instead of building one on my own for $35000. (unless like people said earlier that he didnt have all the money at once, i can understand that) but if he built it jst so he could say he did it on his own doesnt make too much sense to me. i understand im not a car modded like alot of yous but that extra $3000 could have went a long way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast