Newbie to Subaru and performance tuning.

This is a discussion on Newbie to Subaru and performance tuning. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I just bought a 05 WRX 4EAT, and its a great drive, i'm loving the car. Im new ...

Post Newbie to Subaru and performance tuning.

Hi everyone,
    I just bought a 05 WRX 4EAT, and its a great drive, i'm loving the car.
    Im new to the performance tuning part, Im planning on modding my car in the near future but need some help.

What mods can i do to my wrx05 that are legal?

have a great 4th of July everyone,

This website rocks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

congrats on the new rex...
    check the stickies in the engine + performance section
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Welcome, lots of info here, just look around.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Here in europe, if we want to keep the warranty, we can have the Prodrive Performance Pack fitted. It doesn't invalidate the warranty.

Prodrive are the company behind the Subaru Impreza WRC rally cars.

I know Prodrive America sell the various PPP stage packs there... i just don't know what the American warranty situation is.

The PPP kit consists of a different exhaust backbox, a remapped ECU, a third CAT replacement pipe and an uprated intercooler pipe. It adds about 40HP and about 50lb/ft torque extra.

http://www.prodrive.com/defaultflash.asp?M=5

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBYWRX05
    Hi everyone,
    I just bought a 05 WRX 4EAT, and its a great drive, i'm loving the car.
    Im new to the performance tuning part, Im planning on modding my car in the near future but need some help.

What mods can i do to my wrx05 that are legal?

have a great 4th of July everyone,

This website rocks!
    Welcome! Define "legal".

Start here: Good first mods

Try here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/main.html

Welcome! Define "legal". by 04.SPT.WRX

Thanks everyone for your links and advices. They really help out a lot. There are a ton of info in this site alone, and so little time to read them all.

As for the term "legal",
    What i mean by legal is: mods that won't violate the emissions when it comes to emission testing, mods that dont violate any type of law .

Well what i'm aiming for is improved driveability and performance with out the use of an ECU upgrade/flash., for my first focus mod is try to reduce the turbo lag in my WRX4EAT, that i have been experiencing, without violating emissions, and the warranty on my car.

Any advice helps,
    thanks again for your patience everyone.

Thanks McScooby and 04.SPT.WRX for the very informative links.

Sreiously speaking in this case there is really no mod that is worth doing if you are actually looking for real performance gains. You won't find it unless you break some of the rules you have listed here.

I would focus on suspension mods and make you car a gokart.

Welcome to the club.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I didnt do much, power-wise, to my car, but I did a lot of suspension work. It was great fun to drive! Welcome aboard
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBYWRX05
    Thanks everyone for your links and advices. They really help out a lot. There are a ton of info in this site alone, and so little time to read them all.

As for the term "legal",
    What i mean by legal is: mods that won't violate the emissions when it comes to emission testing, mods that dont violate any type of law .

Well what i'm aiming for is improved driveability and performance with out the use of an ECU upgrade/flash., for my first focus mod is try to reduce the turbo lag in my WRX4EAT, that i have been experiencing, without violating emissions, and the warranty on my car.

Any advice helps,
    thanks again for your patience everyone.

Thanks McScooby and 04.SPT.WRX for the very informative links.
    Removing cats is illegal - doesn't stop many people here.

The warranty? Eh, I bought the car to have fun with, not to countdown the days & mileage left on my warranty. I'll take my chances. Itís a Subaru. I wonít need the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    Sreiously speaking in this case there is really no mod that is worth doing if you are actually looking for real performance gains. You won't find it unless you break some of the rules you have listed here.

I would focus on suspension mods and make you car a gokart.

Welcome to the club.
    thanks WRC_Obsessed,
    What type wheels, tires, suspension mods do you recommend? i have about 3k to invest in mods, along with an AccessPort.

I would consider springs, spring/strut or coilovers depending on the use, purpose and plans for the car. I would also look at front/rear sway bars and maybe strut bars after that.

As far as wheels there is way too much out there. For performance I would not go any loarger than 17". You could probably get a 8" wide wheel in there no problem depending on the offset.

Check out the suspension forum for some more info.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Cool

For my 2 cents,
    the best investment you can ever make: DRIVING SKILLS. Learn to drive your car to its full potential while stock -- collect data regarding how your car performs (multiple aspects, not just one) and take it from there. It is just sad to see many people out there with the misconception that Mods can compensate for driving techniques, skills in reading the road, the ability to analyze the car's characteristics under various conditions, "if you do "this" then "this happens," etc...

Your headed in the right directions tho... "If" I 'were" to plan on "mods," I would first work on better tires, suspension, etc. But to be honest, these mods only come after you feel that unless you get these mods, you cannot improve any more.

There might be many people out there that claim that they "know their car" after a short period of time, but it is not usually the case -- even many great drivers out there, Makinen, Tsuchiya, Schumacher, etc, make "getting into a new car" and make driving look easy and awesome due to years of experience under their belt -- not to mention talent, but nethertheless, take noteable time to "really push a unfamilar new car" to its full capabilities.

Hmm, but you probably already knew this. I am just explicitly stating it for anyone who might stumble across this

Anyways, enjoy the car and DRIVE ON!
    It's all about the mountain twisties, biyotch~