Hey New here.

This is a discussion on Hey New here. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys...I love the STI...and soon to be purchasing it. But...a few things came to my mind...i know the STI ...

Hey New here.

Hey guys...I love the STI...and soon to be purchasing it. But...a few things came to my mind...i know the STI tranny is stronger than the WRX, but..can it handle like basic performance upgrades? Another thing is...I'm still debating a Evo or an STI. I mean can you guys tell me the advantages and disadvantages both cars bring out. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome.. but man, you need to do the research and decide for yourself. it doesn't matter what someone else says...

heres what i've seen to be true from anyone...
    STi- solid power (read: midrange TORQUE!), adjustable slip center diff (DCCD), low cg boxer engine, the turbo spools a little lower in the rpm, solid 6sp (its nearly bombproof, totally different class than the 5mt), slightly better interior, most people take it as a better daily driver, and with an exhaust, you get that intoxicationg boxer rumble...

EVO- the big attraction to the EVO seems to be better balanced, more neutral handling, and the engine block (can't remember the code) but its pretty solid. they EVO's seem to be a little more peaky, (the turbo spools higher in the rpms but i guess its not noticable, FMIC, slightly cheaper more plasticy interior, but supposedly better seats.

either car can be tuned to outperform the other in every aspect. i say drive each one, and see which fits you better. you're not going to get the perfect answer from anyone but yoruself.

however, mitsu is apparently having serious financial problems, and may be no longer in the near future...
    Dave
    01 RS

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Subaru sure looks to have a better future than Mitsubishi. That alone would sell me. And you are a new member of a WRX site now ...

^ good point. now you're obligated to buy Subaru. if you don't, the bugeye mafia will fit you for some new, eh, shoes...
    Dave
    01 RS

Thanks guys...I think I'll stick with my baby...05 STi =) Thanks guys...but I am still going to test drive both cars.=) But what the heck is happening to the STi in 06?! I just recently saw some pics and it looks Maybe if I see it in person...I might like it..does anyone know the engine specs on that car?

Quote Originally Posted by Wills STi
    Thanks guys...I think I'll stick with my baby...05 STi =) Thanks guys...but I am still going to test drive both cars.=) But what the heck is happening to the STi in 06?! I just recently saw some pics and it looks Maybe if I see it in person...I might like it..does anyone know the engine specs on that car?
    the WRX will get the 2.5 Liter, 230 hp
    not sure about the STi's specs

If you're getting the Evo, the Evo IX is coming out soon. Will have the 276 hp 2.0 liter i believe

What are you using the car for?
    Last edited by Mid117; 06-21-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Welcome to the club.

Regarding the 6MT tranny, you have nothing to worry about. There are 500+ WHP/WTQ cars running without any issues. Actually I don't even know of one tranny blowing up to date. You need to be concerned about the engine internals before the tranny.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    Regarding the 6MT tranny, you have nothing to worry about. There are 500+ WHP/WTQ cars running without any issues. Actually I don't even know of one tranny blowing up to date. You need to be concerned about the engine internals before the tranny.
    +1 its an awesome piece of mechanical engineering. super smooth and extremely capable. get a nice solid short shifter, a good knob, and keep up with the fluid changes, and it may become your favorite part of the car.

you'd have an extremely hard time blowing one up, i've only heard of one report of one 6mt wearing out from excessively hard driving/shifting after 44k miles. nothing will stand up to extremely hard driving after that long though, so its no surprise.
    Dave
    01 RS