VW then WRX now
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on VW then WRX now within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just traded in my Jetta for a new 05 WRX sedan. Love the car! although all this talk about problems ...

VW then WRX now

Just traded in my Jetta for a new 05 WRX sedan.

Love the car! although all this talk about problems with the tranny is scaring me.

I've had the car for about 2 weeks and bought it with 10 miles on it, and already I think my reverse gear is funky. I've been driving stick for 6 years now, so I don't think I did something wrong to car. Seems like sometimes it just wont pop into reverse. I have to wait a minute and then its fine. As if that didn't scare me enough, the other day while sitting at a light, i couldn't get it into first. After about a minute it went in fine. I've been driving like a grandma since I got it, so I don't think its me causing the problem.

Any suggestions or reasons why this might be occuring?

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dont worry the reverse situation is normal mine soes it alot to all you have to do is pump the clutch a few times.
    2003 sonic yellow wrx mods: K&N drop in filter, koji mod, muffler
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...=20&highlight=

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

New car? I'd be quick about asking the dealer to invesigate.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey
    dont worry the reverse situation is normal mine soes it alot to all you have to do is pump the clutch a few times.
    Normal? This was never the case with my 2004. Might be sluggish in really cold weather ... not a problem now.

I plan on going back to the dealer Tuesday of next week to get the rust proofing done and getting my boost gauge installed( I know it sucks, but it was included). I'll ask them then about the reverse and first gear issues.

I've read some posts about the interior, and I don't see the problem. Most of my friends all have VW's and my interior is just as nice if not nicer than and MK4 Jetta or Golf.

Anyways, glad to be here!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cking3rdi
    I plan on going back to the dealer Tuesday of next week to get the rust proofing done and getting my boost gauge installed( I know it sucks, but it was included). I'll ask them then about the reverse and first gear issues.

I've read some posts about the interior, and I don't see the problem. Most of my friends all have VW's and my interior is just as nice if not nicer than and MK4 Jetta or Golf.

Rustproofing does not work as advertised and can make future potential rust worse by blocking water drainage holes built into the body. I got this info directly from Consumer Reports.

The boost gauge is good to have.

I have had that problem with reverse on my 05, but when you release the clutch and push it back in it will go in. The only time I have trouble getting into first is when i'm not at a complete stop. Is it hard to go into first from a COMPLETE stop?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    I have had that problem with reverse on my 05, but when you release the clutch and push it back in it will go in. The only time I have trouble getting into first is when i'm not at a complete stop. Is it hard to go into first from a COMPLETE stop?

I was first in the left turn lane. I was stopped for a few minutes. Lucky for me the guy behind wasn't a lead foot or I would be looking for a back bumper.....

I'll see what the dealer says when they look at it Tuesday.

Even with these small problems, the car still brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it.

I have had a problem getting into first from a complete stop... although it happened only once and I wasn't pressing clutch all the way in.
    04 WRX Sedan Aspen White ( http://photobucket.com/albums/y257/Mar48)
    Now: Eibach springs - Espelir JGT 500 - MOMO shift knob - painted sides - painted red subaru badge - foglight covers - 18" Linea Limix's powdercoated black
    Next: .... you'll see

Almost every WRX that I've seen, heard of, or driven has had the 1st / Reverse issue. My car, 50k miles later, original tranny, same issue.

Just traded in my Jetta for a new 05 WRX sedan.

Love the car! although all this talk about problems with the tranny is scaring me.

I've had the car for about 2 weeks and bought it with 10 miles on it, and already I think my reverse gear is funky. I've been driving stick for 6 years now, so I don't think I did something wrong to car. Seems like sometimes it just wont pop into reverse. I have to wait a minute and then its fine. As if that didn't scare me enough, the other day while sitting at a light, i couldn't get it into first. After about a minute it went in fine. I've been driving like a grandma since I got it, so I don't think its me causing the problem.

Any suggestions or reasons why this might be occuring?

Thanks all!

This is a common problem. Even the Subaru tech here in town told me they all do it and I know him quite well.

had the same problems with my wrx. I think the clutch just takes a little getting used to! I have no more problems getting into 1st gear, but reverse is always a little tricky from a cold start. I just push it into 5th gear first and then it seems to pop into reverse easily! works for me.

Thanks for all the great info. Looks like I can rest a little easier knowing this is more commen than not. Although if it's a problem, wouldn't Subaru fix it? I just don't want to be posting in the tranny woes thread next....

Reverse is always a pain. It was a pain in my RSX and now in my WRX.

1st? you basically need to be stopped. Try shifting into 2nd and then into 1st (dont let out the clutch during this). that will line up the syncros.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 06-17-2005 at 07:46 PM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

difficult engagement can be a problem in all manual transmissions. if you have a stuborn one then you need to let the clutch out a bit while applying light presure to put it in gear. it will get that synchro working and in gear smooth.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.