Getting a WRX? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Getting a WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by TurnWRX Let's see, average price using your numbers: tbe: 0 EM: 0 Injectors/fuel pump: 0 VF34: 0 ...

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    Let's see, average price using your numbers:
    tbe: $900
    EM: $900
    Injectors/fuel pump: $450
    VF34: $900
    RA Gears: $1300
    Total: $4450

Oh you said a wrx could also handle better? Let's add some coilovers:
    $1500
    Then you need an alignment, don't know how much that costs. For the moment I'll just assume $100

Nobody who focuses on handling are going to leave the stock wheels and tires on. Add some Rotas and some falkens and you still end up paying roughly $800-900. But for really cheap people, we'll leave this out of the equation.

You said "with a good tune"
    $150/hour dyno tuning

Not everybody can do installs by themselves:
    $500? Possibly more?

That adds up to over $6k in costs. For the price of a new wrx, I don't see how a wrx would be cheaper than an STi with all those mods. With an sti, you get the extra brembos, wheels, tires, 6-speed, and a bigger tmic.
    I completely agree with that. What parts can you buy for a grand that would get you to stay with an STi. I mean just TBE and EM are gonna be well over a grand unless as said above you buy knock off or used crap. And lets just say you get those for under a thousand, what can you do besides race in a straight line?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedStar
    I was thinking about 350 hp theh crank...cause I'm sure 350 at the wheel would probably gonna break the transmission for sure. I also thinking about an STi, but my insurance gonna cause like $500 a month if not morre ( i got 16 speeding ticket ), plus...I like the look of 02-03 WRX better. From what you guys have to say seems like if I really after the power, I should go for the STi....or I may be I'll just put some basic mods like ECU, intake, cat-back exhaust, turbo inlet pipe....hope that wouldn't be any problem for the car. How much hp you guys thinks these mods gonna make?

Quote from IHRTWRX:

"Welcome to the club. First off you lookin for 350 AWHP? If so then that is a tall order for the stock tranny. If you want that kinda power you are probably looking to shell out quite a bit of cash then correct? Why not start with an STi? It has 300 ponies, and a stronger tranny to go with it. If you dont mind me asking, what kind of car did you come from. Are you sure you can even handle that kind of power?"

I come from many cars...92 Eclipse GSX, 98 Accord EX, 03 Evo VII, 93 MR-2 Turbo, 03 Benz C320 Sport Sedan. The car with the most power is the MR-2 I got around 290 Whp for that car.

Quote from TurnWRX:

"me too. I'm tired and not thinking correctly. It took me like 10 minutes to type that post"

Thanks for the trouble everyone

Well with basic bolt ons I would just go with UP, TBE, EM. Stay away from intakes and BOV's!!! That will get you pretty close to 300hp. I think with cobb AP you get 285, and a litttle more with utec, but it costs more and you have to go get it tuned. Then aftter that for about 1200-1300 you can get a VF34 turbo, with pinks and a walbro FP. This is a very popular turbo that is relatively inexpensive that offers ball bearing internals, quick spool up and good power thru most of the band. This would be good for really close to 300AWHP, depends on the tune. An upgraded IC would also help. FMIC would be most beneficial, but not at all necissary. A good TMIC would suffice. All this can be done while still keeping the stock tranny if you are good to it. I would definately leave some cash on the side for some RA gears tho. You never know what could happen. I hope this helps

PS. Bugeye OWNZ!!! HAHA
    Last edited by IHRTWRX; 06-10-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    Let's see, average price using your numbers:
    tbe: $900
    EM: $900
    Injectors/fuel pump: $450
    VF34: $900
    RA Gears: $1300
    Total: $4450

Oh you said a wrx could also handle better? Let's add some coilovers:
    $1500
    Then you need an alignment, don't know how much that costs. For the moment I'll just assume $100

Nobody who focuses on handling are going to leave the stock wheels and tires on. Add some Rotas and some falkens and you still end up paying roughly $800-900. But for really cheap people, we'll leave this out of the equation.

You said "with a good tune"
    $150/hour dyno tuning

Not everybody can do installs by themselves:
    $500? Possibly more?

That adds up to over $6k in costs. For the price of a new wrx, I don't see how a wrx would be cheaper than an STi with all those mods. With an sti, you get the extra brembos, wheels, tires, 6-speed, and a bigger tmic.

And after you do all this you have warrenty.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    And after you do all this you have warrenty.

That's right. So you will also need to factor in the cost of all the components affected since if any one of them break, u b paying for it. In fact, with those mods, if anything breaks, you'll probably be paying for it. So...

uppipe/downpipe/exhaust = $500 - 900
    engine management = $300-900
    injectors and fuel pump = $200 - 400
    vf34 turbo = $450- 900

Piece of mind owning a warrantied STi over a heavily modded WRX that MIGHT be as fast as an STi (but still missing many of the other great components) - Priceless!
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.