Alternative to the WRX - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Alternative to the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Atif Farooqi So for the miata, since it looks like a really light car, is it bad ...

Quote Originally Posted by Atif Farooqi
    So for the miata, since it looks like a really light car, is it bad in the snow or is it managable?
    its a rear wheel drive car so go figure.

yea my friend has a s/c miata, lot of fun, and would smoke most of us WRXs (even with mods) so dont let people tell you miatas are for ***s.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, im sure its driveable in the snow b/conce there was a huge storm here and I saw some guy driving his porsche home. As long as Its driveable in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRex

I also saw a man get tboned then slam it into a car off the side of the road and he walked out with the stearing wheel in his hand, after closely inspecing the car it has welded beams in the door and side panels.. its a very safe car.
    this is nothing special...ALL USDM cars have to have this...its a Federal safety law. It makes cars heavier than they woud otherwise be, and is the reason why some cars like the pre -06 Lotus Elise were not available in the U.S.

Dont let anyone tell you its a girls or a ***s car because anyone who enjoys cars and has actually drivin one will tell you different, its a whole different experience. If it was practical for me to have a 2 seater right now i would still have my 99, but i got a real good deal on the wrx and i needed some more room for right now.
    I never said they didn't drive great. they do....they're a bit underpowered but they handle great....but they LOOK gay...that's what I said.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, im sure its driveable in the snow b/conce there was a huge storm here and I saw some guy driving his porsche home. As long as Its driveable in the snow.

Could have been a 4S carrera....in which case that's not impressive at all. I'm sure the mazada will suck it up in the snow...but I drove a mustang through one of the worst winters in recent history...if you take your time...and learn how to steer with the rear you'll be fine.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

you HAVE to have studds to drive the miata.. if it is lowered and it has the factory body kit you are screwed.. we had 5 inches here(a lot for here) and i turned the miata into a snow plow.. although it was fun in parking lots it was not on the road. but stock trim and studs you will do great b/c my dad does it all the time.

For their weight they are not underpowered at all. Also if you plan on upgrading their has been many instances with stock tranny's around 300whp. The engines r built for turbo its just a stroked old 323 turbo motor.

If you think the miata is gay looking you need to see the eye doctor... everyone complimented on how good it looked.. hell i have a car domain site check it out.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389160
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

If you think the miata is gay looking you need to see the eye doctor... everyone complimented on how good it looked.. hell i have a car domain site check it out.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389160
    Thats not a bad looking miata.

Atif farooqi: As for the car shopping goes, be patient. Im 20 and still live at home with my parents so i know what you mean when looking for a car with them, it can be fustrating. Im sure there is some sense behind it that i could never understand at the time. They always wanted to see another to decide even if i thought i had my mind made up. But sometimes that can work out for the better. Good luck.

Yea i think im going with the mazda6s. Decent power, good intro car, and i an practice manual and get that STi. What i think ill enjoy is the huge power gap when I do get the STi.

just get a wrx then get an sti.. youll enjoy the experience much more going from a wrx to an sti

Well in my opinion going from a 220 hp front wheel car to a 300+ hp awd car wil be a bigger enjoyment. Plus I probably ant afford the insurance on a wrx. Id rather keep a clean record from now till 25 so my quotes drop

Yea i think im going with the mazda6s. Decent power, good intro car, and i an practice manual and get that STi. What i think ill enjoy is the huge power gap when I do get the STi.
    or you can get a hiboost turbo for the 6 and push 300whp in about 5k worth of mods

kinda defeats the purpose tho..
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

Its still not all wheel drive. And before all this buying a car, I have to sell our old car. Its a 92 Sentra so someone if your interested BUY IT!!!

Its still not all wheel drive. And before all this buying a car, I have to sell our old car. Its a 92 Sentra so someone if your interested BUY IT!!!
    Does the sentra not run good? Because if it gets from a to b, then you could drove it and saved money for a few more months and had a nice down payment on a wrx. Just a suggestion.

I can see both sides, I think

Wel, actually the point of the program is so your life is in order already. My dad is thankfully giving me a roof and helping me with tuition. And again there is nothing wrong with wanting to get my money's worth. At this point at least, I really have nothing to worry about except I just have to study my ass off. I nkow I probably sound like Im being ungrateful but its not that. Almost every parent says get a job and get your own car. But its how he talks to me about it. If the dialogue was just like this car? no, that car? no, itd be fine but I would be like hey I found a 04 WRX for this price and struff and hed be like oh ok keep looking. And I ask him will I be able to get it and he would go around it and then say I dontt know, like a little kidd and then when that gets annoying he laughs. Then I over hear him saying to my older bro, yes im not spending this much, or things like that. I ant explain. All I asked is what good car I could get for the 10-15 range thatll last me the next 7 years and that ill enjoy. Oh, and the mazda is stick. I definitely said that to myself. I was thinking id rather have a decent stick car now, master it over the next 7 years, and since my car wouldnt be that fast, itd be a surprice to drive the STi. ANd i know its stupid but i sometimes get this feeling that at 24 ill be too old for the thrill but then I think by the time im 24 ill still be thinking this and then turn and be like oh snap im 24!
    At 17 or 18, you probably do have that "need" to get it all now. So, that's your job. It's your dad's job to play with your mind. If I read you right, your dad is paying for school? He knows that if/when you make it through this program, you'll be set for life. You see the immediate happiness of a WRX, while he sees you knocking down mid six figure$... driving a Porsche and a Benz, in a few years. My immediate need was a Porsche 944 (way back in the day). I acted like a lil girl wanting a puppy for her birthday, so that's how my parents treated me. When it was my $ paying the repair bills and insurance, I understood their position a LOT better.

Since you mentioned insurance, don't get the WRX. I would go for a Subaru though. While it's possible to drive a car with slicks in the snow (I once drove a Jaguar with sport tires in an ice storm over 200 miles, but it wasn't a lot of fun), it's not very practical. If that's much of a concern, a Subaru is the ONLY make I'd be looking at - plus they're reliable (I'll guess the non-WRX Imprezas are less likely to have been abused/raced) and they seem to last forever. If I was 18 or so and headed to college, I'd rather have a nice car and money to go out, rather than a hot car and my broke @$$ has to sit at home on Saturday nights.

Trust me, you won't be old til you start living your life like you're old. At 24, you'll just be hitting your stride to be whoppin' & bangin'.

*Disclaimer - If I had it all figured out, I wouldn't be getting migraines.*
    "There is no terrible way to win. There is only winning." --- Jean-Pierre Sarti

I guess this will ruin my chances of selling it but yes it runs kind of sloppy and definitely wont last for another 7 years. and thanks for the faith that i will make it through med school . and about being broke and spending my money on my car, I have really no social life, or i at least dont have a big spending record. but i was thinking a 2000 or so legacy, since its luxury and a little bit of sport. We'll see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.