Alternative to the WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Alternative to the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Atif Farooqi RGGGHGHHHHHH!!! I want to get the mazda6s but my dad is *****ing b/c its 6 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Atif Farooqi
    RGGGHGHHHHHH!!! I want to get the mazda6s but my dad is *****ing b/c its 6 cylinder! What difference does it make if its 30 cylinder as long as its getting the same damn mileage?!

I will refrain from ranting, but YOUR DAD IS OFFERING YOU MONEY FOR A CAR!!!!! THAT in itself is a big deal. Its exremely nice of him to do so. Don't be a little punk and complain. Its HIS money and he can place conditions on it. Just be greatful that he's offering it to you AT ALL. If I were you I'd buy the cheapest Honda or Hyundai (that 100K mile warranty is nice) you can to keep your payments down because at your age you DO NOT want a $400+ a month car payment every month.

trust me on this. you got the rest of your life to buy cool cars. get something cheap and reliable and ENJOY everything else rather than work as much as someone your age will have to work to support a $400 a month car payment.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

VW 1.8T in either Jetta, Passat or Golf? Been around awhile, lots of tuner parts, can be found cheap.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I will refrain from ranting, but YOUR DAD IS OFFERING YOU MONEY FOR A CAR!!!!! THAT in itself is a big deal. Its exremely nice of him to do so. Don't be a little punk and complain. Its HIS money and he can place conditions on it. Just be greatful that he's offering it to you AT ALL. If I were you I'd buy the cheapest Honda or Hyundai (that 100K mile warranty is nice) you can to keep your payments down because at your age you DO NOT want a $400+ a month car payment every month.

trust me on this. you got the rest of your life to buy cool cars. get something cheap and reliable and ENJOY everything else rather than work as much as someone your age will have to work to support a $400 a month car payment.
    werd.

Yeah I know but it's that he plays games with me and then laughs at me. He first said he'd get a WRX so i was mentally ready for a WRX then he said some other stuff. And whats wrong with looking for a car that Ill enjoy? And I do have a job at least for summers. And you sjhould care that I am a fulltime 7 year med student from thiis fall. Its not cake juggling a job and that although Im going to try to keep the job as long as I can. Then when Im a resident at 24 im gonna put that money and my pay check toward an STi, hopefully theyll be better looking than the 06. I get chills just thinking about how good it will feel to buy it on my own. But my dad said that he'd look into the mazda6. I guess you wouldnt understand completely until you knew my dad but anyway. Plus I need a fairly new car so that itll last me for about 8 years. The fact that he expects to get a 2002 2003 car for 8000 is beyond me. But hopefully this Mazda6 works out. And I dont believe that I have the rest of my life to buy cars b/c who are you to say I wont die after I click submit right now?

Yeah I know but it's that he plays games with me and then laughs at me. He first said he'd get a WRX so i was mentally ready for a WRX then he said some other stuff. And whats wrong with looking for a car that Ill enjoy? And I do have a job at least for summers. And you sjhould care that I am a fulltime 7 year med student from thiis fall. Its not cake juggling a job and that although Im going to try to keep the job as long as I can. Then when Im a resident at 24 im gonna put that money and my pay check toward an STi, hopefully theyll be better looking than the 06. I get chills just thinking about how good it will feel to buy it on my own. But my dad said that he'd look into the mazda6. I guess you wouldnt understand completely until you knew my dad but anyway. Plus I need a fairly new car so that itll last me for about 8 years. The fact that he expects to get a 2002 2003 car for 8000 is beyond me. But hopefully this Mazda6 works out. And I dont believe that I have the rest of my life to buy cars b/c who are you to say I wont die after I click submit right now?

is it just me or do other people also think its silly to be putting so much effort into getting a "fun" car when you're still getting the rest of your life in order. You're going to medical school. you should be worrying about how to MINIMIZE all your obligations and all other non med-school related problems. I know because I was accepted to an MD/PhD program out of college. I didn't go, but I know the life. Do yourself a favor and don't worry about what car you're going to drive until you're done with your educaton.

Of course by then we'll probaby all have HillaryCare and you're going to be a government employee making $40K a year so maybe you SHOULD worry
    go f*** yourself

I know how you feel, I was just in a similar situation. Luckily things worked out (I got money), but if it hadn't worked out, in hindsight, I'd have done this.

Talk about how badly you want the V6 Mazda6, but that you're willing to get a cheaper, not nearly as cool car if it's a stick. Get a Civic hatch (personal pick), preferably the latest model with the double-wishbone suspension (they stopped in '01 i think?), leave it stock, and learn how to drive stick really well. You'll get good gas mileage and have a tossable little car that you LEARN HOW TO DRIVE. Better than subjecting a new STi to your learning-how-to-drive-stick.

Just my opinion, though. A "worse" car in stick (Civic hatch) will be much more fun than a "better" car (Mazda6) in automatic. Plus, when you get that STi it will seem even sweeter, and you'll know how to drive.

Wel, actually the point of the program is so your life is in order already. My dad is thankfully giving me a roof and helping me with tuition. And again there is nothing wrong with wanting to get my money's worth. At this point at least, I really have nothing to worry about except I just have to study my ass off. I nkow I probably sound like Im being ungrateful but its not that. Almost every parent says get a job and get your own car. But its how he talks to me about it. If the dialogue was just like this car? no, that car? no, itd be fine but I would be like hey I found a 04 WRX for this price and struff and hed be like oh ok keep looking. And I ask him will I be able to get it and he would go around it and then say I dontt know, like a little kidd and then when that gets annoying he laughs. Then I over hear him saying to my older bro, yes im not spending this much, or things like that. I ant explain. All I asked is what good car I could get for the 10-15 range thatll last me the next 7 years and that ill enjoy. Oh, and the mazda is stick. I definitely said that to myself. I was thinking id rather have a decent stick car now, master it over the next 7 years, and since my car wouldnt be that fast, itd be a surprice to drive the STi. ANd i know its stupid but i sometimes get this feeling that at 24 ill be too old for the thrill but then I think by the time im 24 ill still be thinking this and then turn and be like oh snap im 24!
    Last edited by Atif Farooqi; 06-02-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Wel, actually the point of the program is so your life is in order already. My dad is thankfully giving me a roof and helping me with tuition. And again there is nothing wrong with wanting to get my money's worth. At this point at least, I really have nothing to worry about except I just have to study my ass off. I nkow I probably sound like Im being ungrateful but its not that. Almost every parent says get a job and get your own car. But its how he talks to me about it. If the dialogue was just like this car? no, that car? no, itd be fine but I would be like hey I found a 04 WRX for this price and struff and hed be like oh ok keep looking. And I ask him will I be able to get it and he would go around it and then say I dontt know, like a little kidd and then when that gets annoying he laughs. Then I over hear him saying to my older bro, yes im not spending this much, or things like that. I ant explain. All I asked is what good car I could get for the 10-15 range thatll last me the next 7 years and that ill enjoy. Oh, and the mazda is stick. I definitely said that to myself. I was thinking id rather have a decent stick car now, master it over the next 7 years, and since my car wouldnt be that fast, itd be a surprice to drive the STi.
    for 7 trouble-free years? really you have few choices.

an almost new Honda/Acura
    a new Huyndai or Kia (same company now) - 100K mile/7 year warranty
    an almost new Toyota
    a 1 year old Impreza RS (may even be able to find a new 03 or 04 for that price)

Mazda isn't going to last you 7 years...their really not that reliable in the long run (its that Ford influence)
    go f*** yourself

I was thinking scion tC since its toyota reliability but theyre impossible to find used, and by the way i was looking for a private owner used car not dealer.

I was thinking scion tC since its toyota reliability but theyre impossible to find used, and by the way i was looking for a private owner used car not dealer.
    I think the tC is just a rebadged Solara Coupe...and since they've only been out a few months I doubt you'll find one used. an xA maybe...but not the tC. if you find yourself with some extra cash at some point you can always have the dealer put in the TRD supercharger for you...its like $3000.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    for 7 trouble-free years? really you have few choices.

an almost new Honda/Acura
    a new Huyndai or Kia (same company now) - 100K mile/7 year warranty
    an almost new Toyota
    a 1 year old Impreza RS (may even be able to find a new 03 or 04 for that price)

Mazda isn't going to last you 7 years...their really not that reliable in the long run (its that Ford influence)
    My dads miata is a 91 stock everything 140k no problems
    older mazdas are the win

I hate to say it but i would buy a civic and live with it.. best mpg one of the best resale values... when you are a resident you can aford sti..porche whatever you desire
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

How old would you consider to be old for a miata. I know its not old but I found a 2003 miata MX5 for 10,000. My bro said its not safe though since it's a small car. But I figured its good b/c its a two seater so my parents dont have to worry about having too many people in the car or whatever they worry about . Plus its a 4 cylinder so my dad is happy.

the miata was the most enjoyable car i owned.. the only problems the 2003's had was some had clutch shudder.. im sure most have been fixed by now(it was tsbed) so if it happens dealership must replace.

The 99-00(different engine components) were lighter but that had this #4 bearing problem that caused engine failure(although rare>5%) it still happens to some.

I also saw a man get tboned then slam it into a car off the side of the road and he walked out with the stearing wheel in his hand, after closely inspecing the car it has welded beams in the door and side panels.. its a very safe car.

At the auto-x i would beat vett's reguarly(something you just cannot do with the wrx)

I will own another miata after i commisson in the army and i have a garage, it will be my dedicated race/fun car. I have plans for 8.5 inch wheels mazda speed suspension and a FM turbo kit ~250 to the wheels with stroker.

Dont let anyone tell you its a girls or a ***s car because anyone who enjoys cars and has actually drivin one will tell you different, its a whole different experience. If it was practical for me to have a 2 seater right now i would still have my 99, but i got a real good deal on the wrx and i needed some more room for right now.

check out the forums at www.miata.net their a cool group of people..
    Last edited by GIRex; 06-03-2005 at 07:46 AM.
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

So for the miata, since it looks like a really light car, is it bad in the snow or is it managable?

Hey Atif Farooqi, i'm in queens as well (bayside). Trust me man, you will like having the AWD for the winter time. This past winter I was mobile and able to get to work everyday dispite the snow.

Like it was said before, try going for a 00-01 2.5 rs or maybe a 00-01 Impreza L or a Outback, Legacy. All those are great choices. Subaru is a very good quality car and will last a good amount of time. My aunt just got rid of her old 89' legacy at 250k miles!

If your dad is intersted in hauling stuff with this car as you said, then Subaru is def. a good choice. I know alot of farmers in upstate NY that depend on thier Subie outbacks for thier daily chores.

I am completely satisfied with my Subie as I know everyone on here is. It is a very versitile car that can handle whatever you throw at it. Good luck with your search and with your schooling!

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.