New WRX Sedan Owner

This is a discussion on New WRX Sedan Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I just got my first brand new manual tranmission 2005 WRX Sedan and I am pretty new at ...

New WRX Sedan Owner

Hey everyone,

I just got my first brand new manual tranmission 2005 WRX Sedan and I am pretty new at driving stick. Does anyone have advice on driving stick and the best ways to take care of the clutch. SOme people have told me to leave the car parked in 1st gear while others have said to leave it in neutral while parked? Thanks for the help!

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

The best advice on learning how to drive stick is to practice and practice often. Simple as that.

Don't abuse your car by launching it or dumping the clutch. The clutch shouldn't be your main concern though, because the tranny will be taking a lot of the punishment.

As for parking, on flat ground, just pull the parking brake up and leave it in neutral. If you're parked uphill, leave it in 1st gear with parking brake up. If you're parked downhill, leave it in Reverse gear with parking brake up. Make sure that when you restart your car, you put it in Neutral before you start the car, or if the engine is on, that your clutch is depressed and then put it in Neutral. Otherwise your car will jerk forward and stall.

Note: Some will argue that you should do the opposite of what I explained for uphill and downhill parking because of potential damage to the differential or some crap like that, don't listen to them. It is explained in the owner's manual that what I typed above is the correct method. You can double check it if you like.
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 05-29-2005 at 01:56 AM.

Try not to get frustrated, and while your still learning try avoiding big hills or jerks who are right on your butt until you get comfortablewith driving your manual trans. If youcan get a friend or elder who can drive stick to sit with you and help you along the way of your driving. If you have a brand new wrx dont worry about the clutch because its under warranty(i think).Try not to listen to music for a while also so you can concentrate on feel of the car. Hope i helped, usually i dont.

Oh first off welcome to the boards, and also a tip: when your stuck on the hills, pull up your e-break, till you get moving and then drop the e-break, that way you dont roll back into that new BMW behind you =D

Welcome & Congrats on the new car.

_B

welcome to the club. practice makes perfect
    " I'm a bad man"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

Practice and more practice. You will then wonder why you did not go manual sooner.