Lovin the long commute....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Lovin the long commute.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys! Awesome site! Been in a Subaru since 2000 with getting my first 2.5 RS and now driving a ...

Lovin the long commute....

Hi guys! Awesome site!

Been in a Subaru since 2000 with getting my first 2.5 RS and now driving a '05 WRX with just under 6k on it. Gotta be WR Blue Pearl... it's so purty. Just now started floating around boards like this.

When getting (and leasing) that first 2.5 RS over at Schaumburg Subaru, the sales guy asked how I heard about them. Told 'em I was test driving the car in Gran Turismo 2.

At any rate, like I said, this looks like an awesome board and I've been spending way too much work time floating through all the threads. Did have a quick question for everyone too. I noticed Mobil 1 seems to be the oil of choice here. I ran dino up until about 5500 miles and a friend of mine was praising Pennzoil Platinum (he's got a M3, can't remember year, 90 something). So I threw in the same, especially since for the last 2k I've had a job change and been doing some really nasty gridlock/high-speed highway driving (about half and half, 1 hour commute minimum, 1 way). Anyhoo... Like I mentioned, everyone seems to be loving the Mobil 1 stuff so I'm wondering if I did right by using Pennzoil Platinum? Anyone even heard of it? I know it's supposed to be fairly new, and no where I look does anyone mention it on a board. That a bad thing?

So I'm a tad nervous. Thing's running great now though and I'm lovin it. Just when I'm seeing all the posts about Mobil, I had to ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you'll be fine with either/any oil. Most just use Mobil 1 because its cheap, widely availiable,and works well. When I'm feeling saucy I run Amsoil 10w30 stuff in my car, otherwise its Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    I think you'll be fine with either/any oil. Most just use Mobil 1 because its cheap, widely availiable,and works well. When I'm feeling saucy I run Amsoil 10w30 stuff in my car, otherwise its Mobil 1.
    it's all about the Royal Purple if you can afford it. My car just seems to run better on hot days with the Purple beast within.

Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    When I'm feeling saucy I run Amsoil 10w30 stuff in my car,
    thats what i run and love it. blackstone tests confirmed that for me as well.

im running 5k oil changes as well so that offsets the price since its not the cheapest oil.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Well, if you make friends with a higher volume amsoil dealer its not so bad, but I usually buy the big jugs and use it in both the rex and the eclipse.

I Support ClubWRX
    People stayed far away from Pennzoil for many years because of their use of teflon (spelling?) They mainly thought that it would coat the inside of the motor like it basically does on pots and pans. It did an ok job of that until about 2,200 miles-3,000 miles then it starts to gum up in the bottom of the oil pan and usually after many thousand miles it will clog the oil pump pick up tube (chevy's). I have heard that pennzoil changed their way's, however they have not won back many people's trust. Especially since most americans dont change their oil every 3,000 miles. I have actually heard good things about Pennziol platinum but working on cars for a living, especially higher end cars (corvette, evo, jaguar) they all require mobil 1 so thats what I have used.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.