New Boosted Baja Member - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Boosted Baja Member within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; does the Baja run the VF39?...

does the Baja run the VF39?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe it's the VF40.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

welcome to the club
    ive onlu seen about 2 bajas in my area
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I haven't found which turbo it is and I thought the compression ratio was the same as the sti... it has the same bore and stroke though. Just for comparison sakes I've thrown the baja up against the STI & WRX My source didn't have the compression specifications for the '05, so I used the '04 Granted the baja has a weight problem tipping the scales at 3,610 lbs. Although not much more that the counter parts (STI: 3,298 lbs. WRX: 3,085 lbs.):

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
    Turbo Engine: 4-Cyl

Specifications
    Type Turbo Gas
    Number of Cylinders 4
    Cylinder Configuration Opposing
    Number of Valves 0
    Displacement 2.5L (2,500 cc)
    Fuel Capacity 16 Gallons
    Compression Ratio 10.00:1
    Camshaft Configuration DOHC
    Horsepower 210 @ 5600 rpm
    Torque 235 @ 3600 rpm
    Fuel Delivery Name MFI
    Bore x Stroke 3.92 x 3.11

2004 Subaru Impreza
    WRX STi 4 Dr Sedan

2.5L 4 Cylinder 300 hp Turbo Gas Engine

Specifications
    Type Turbo Gas
    Number of Cylinders 4
    Number of Valves 16
    Fuel Capacity 15 Gallons
    Compression Ratio 8.20:1
    Camshaft Configuration Variable Timing DOHC
    Horsepower 300 @ 6000 rpm
    Torque 300 @ 4000 rpm
    Fuel Delivery Name Multi-Port Fuel Injection

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX

Specifications
    Type Turbo Gas
    Number of Cylinders 4
    Number of Valves 0
    Displacement 2.0L (2,000 cc)
    Fuel Capacity 15 Gallons
    Compression Ratio 10.50:1
    Horsepower 227 @ 6000 rpm
    Torque 217 @ 4000 rpm
    Fuel Delivery Name SFI
    Bore x Stroke 3.62 x 2.95

edit: Just did some googling and came across this from a guy who claims to know Scoobys: "the TD04 Turbo on the WRX, Forester XT and Baja, VF39 Turbo on the STi and the VF40 on the Legacy GT are both water and oil cooled Turbos(they got the water and oil cooling idea from Porsche who also use boxer engines)"

Perhaps you guys would know better... I saw a claim that the Forester XT also has the VF40... possible its on both the Forester and Baja? They have the same HP & TQ, and the Forester seems to be quoted with the lower compression pistons?

Also from http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/

2005 Subaru Forester XT

Specifications
    Type Turbo Gas
    Number of Cylinders 4
    Number of Valves 0
    Fuel Capacity 15 Gallons
    Compression Ratio 8.20:1
    Horsepower 210 @ 5600 rpm
    Torque 235 @ 3600 rpm
    Fuel Delivery Name SFI
    Last edited by BoostedBaja; 05-24-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Sweet ride man, love the color. Im very interested with what you intend to do to this thing so keep us updated wit the results.

You have an MR2 turbo AND a new Baja turbo? My dream setup. My wife wouldn't let me get the Baja though. She just didn't like it. So I got the WRX. Then I sold my MR2. I had a 1993 MR2 turbo. So are you going to NA2005? And my first Subaru when I turned 16 was an '82 BRAT. Awesome. Just awesome. Very nice and welcome. I'd love to see a modded Baja.

Tony

Hey Tony,

I have a 85 MKI, 91 MKII NA, 96 Maxima, and now the '05 Baja Turbo. You might know me from MR2OwnersClub as CrimsonMKII -> Jeff Condon Super Mod for the Performance section although I have taken a bit of a leave lately. I've been involved with the MR2's since 99, and have just begun making the difficult decision to part with them both. To top it all off the Maxima is almost dead at 200k miles, so we're looking at a Forester for the wife & child.

NA2005 had been in the back of my mind for awhile now, but with the kid, a new house, and bills coming out of my but I don't think it will be feisable. I however have been to DC II & IV, and many others that had upto 65 MR2s show up. You name the MR2 Owner, and I'll tell you where he/she is from.
    Last edited by BoostedBaja; 05-25-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedBaja
    Hey Tony,

I have a 85 MKI, 91 MKII NA, 96 Maxima, and now the '05 Baja Turbo. You might know me from MR2OwnersClub as CrimsonMKII -> Jeff Condon Super Mod for the Performance section although I have taken a bit of a leave lately. I've been involved with the MR2's since 96, and have just begun making the difficult decision to part with them both. To top it all off the Maxima is almost dead at 200k miles, so we're looking at a Forester for the wife & child.

NA2005 had been in the back of my mind for awhile now, but with the kid, a new house, and bills coming out of my but I don't think it will be feisable. I however have been to DC II & IV, and many others that had upto 65 MR2s show up. You name the MR2 Owner, and I'll tell you where he/she is from.
    Sounds like a man after my own heart. I am MR2Tony on the board. Clever huh? MR2Tony, WRXTony. Anyway, NA2005 is only about three hours from here and I'm pretty active in the local club though I no longer have the MR2. We're hoping for about 150-200 cars, but doesn't look like it's going to happen. I understand about the bills stacking up. Luckily I'm at a good point right now where we're getting ahead. So much so I'm thinking about buying a used MKI SC to play around with. Of course the wife's not too keen on that prospect. We'll see. Good to talk to another MR2-Subaru owner.

Tony

Hmmmm....interesting.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

The baha is definaly a cool rig.

But the compression rates you have for the Baha and WRX are wrong. As far as I've seen all Subaru's turbo engines are 8.x to 1

The 2.5L NA engine has high 9 or low 10 to 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Compression ratios: (stolen from another web site)

2005 Legacy 2.5i = 10.0:1
    2005 Legacy 2.5GT = 8.2:1 (max boost is 13.5 psi using an IHI VF40 turbo)
    2005 Forester 2.5X = 10:0:1
    2005 Forester 2.5XT = 8.2:1 (max boost is 11.6 psi using a Mitsu TD-04 turbo)
    2005 Impreza 2.5RS = 10.0:1
    2005 Impreza WRX = 8.0:1 (max boost is 14.5 psi using a Mitsu TD-04 turbo)
    2005 Impreza WRX STi : 8.2:1 (max boost is 14.5 psi using a IHI VF39 turbo)
    2004 Baha Turbo = 8.2:1

2005 WRX STi twin scroll is a IHI VF37 (JDM thing for now).
    2002 ~ 2004 WRXs can use IHI's VF22, VF30, VF34 turbos as direct bolt-ons.

same block, stroke, and bore at 99.5mm x 97mm for all 2.5L):

The difference will be in the tuning of the AVCS system, the plastic intake manifold in the GT, Forester XT and Brat, the fuel system layout, some misc parts here and there, (differences in turbo configuration/orientation and intercooler system). The Forester XT engine bay resembles more like the Impreza STi even though they make two different power figures. All have AVCS and the bottom ends are the same, it's how the top end is configured differently to make the difference in power and as well as the ECU programming. All three uses the same head I believe (with the exception of the STi DCCD is tied into the ECU.. which will throw a CEL if you were put it on a GT, Brat or XT chassis and engine among other things) Camshaft profiles for all 4 are different I believe. All the FI cars use DOHC, while normal-aspirated models are all SOHC:
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

awesome, cant wait to see if u got stuff done.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

In the short 2 week period of ownership, I have ammased 1400 miles averaging about 20 MPG with a range of about 310 - 315 miles per tank.

Yesterday I was at Englishtown, NJ and took 5 passes with a best 1/4 mile time of 16.248 @ 84.58 MPH. I've learned that I have a lot of work learning how to launch the 4EAT with Sport Shift. 60' times ranged from a low 2.438 to a high of 2.631. My best RT was .417 and occured on my 1st pass. I didn't get beyond the first round of bracket racing, but I really wans't there for that anyhow. The car weighed 3940 with me in it (240) and all the stock items were in it (including the trailer hitch). I'm guesing if I go the weight reduction route, I could end up at the 3600 lbs range.

Thursday I ordered a Cobb Icconel up-pipe, so that will be my first mod. I haven't autocrossed yet, and may hold off on installing it until I do. Afterwards, I'm highly considering the rear anti-swaybar from perrin and possibly Ion Performance lowering springs.

Everything's been fun so far, lets hope it stays this way!@!

The one I test-drove last year had that sport-shift tranny. (They had no manuals on the lot at the time.)

At the time, I thought it would take a lot of getting-used-to. I didn't really see how it helped performance. I kept trying to use a clutch when I shifted. After a little of that, I gave up and left it in "normal" automatic mode.

Banned
    the people across the street from me just got a yellow baja........its the wifes car, but sometimes I see the guy drive it....I swear I see smoke coming out his ears when he sees my hood scoop poking out of the garage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.