Intake Good/Bad? Confused..

This is a discussion on Intake Good/Bad? Confused.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been doing many searches and it seems that many people feel that replacing the stock air intake is ...

Intake Good/Bad? Confused..

I have been doing many searches and it seems that many people feel that replacing the stock air intake is a mistake and that CAI's actually make the Rex perform worse. I was on fastwrx.com and they are saying that an Intake should be one of the first mods to perform on your vehicle. Just wondering if I should bother making an intake one of my first mods or just screw it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No reason to worry, they are very clear in their position regarding intakes: just as you said, they believe it should be one of the first modifications.

Conveniently, they sell intakes.

IMO the stock intake is very well designed and does its job very well. Any performance gain is not worth using an inadequate filtration system since dirt is a motor's prime enemy after heat. Also, any performance gain is debatable (anybody want to post a statistically significant number of dyno pulls with stock vs. any aftermarket intake?...).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's fantastic. I'm going to rush out and order that, particularly as they company hasn't bothered to make any literature in English (not that one would need it in this case, but still, it goes to show the level of respect the company has for customers abroad...). Great pricing too. I wonder if they'll accept a payment if I round it up to the nearest $1000?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by KUJayHwkStyl
    I have been doing many searches and it seems that many people feel that replacing the stock air intake is a mistake and that CAI's actually make the Rex perform worse. I was on fastwrx.com and they are saying that an Intake should be one of the first mods to perform on your vehicle. Just wondering if I should bother making an intake one of my first mods or just screw it. Any help would be appreciated.
    go with a K&N drop in and then use the other money on uppipe/downpipe.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    go with a K&N drop in and then use the other money on uppipe/downpipe.

Steve

Yeah i think thats what I am going to do. I will worry about the TBE first then do an intake because it seems once the car has been modded that both sides tend to agree that an intake can be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by KUJayHwkStyl
    Yeah i think thats what I am going to do. I will worry about the TBE first then do an intake because it seems once the car has been modded that both sides tend to agree that an intake can be beneficial.
    actually, with the right engine management and tuning, then you can run a huge intake with some gains. If you don't trust me then compare dyno results from a WRX with TBE and K&N drop in to a WRX with TBE and some big intake. The one with K&N drop in will have higher HP and TQ. do whatever you want to do man. If you prefer the "intake sound" over more HP, then go for it.

I recommend you mod in the following order:

1. K&N drop in.
    2. Uppipe/Downpipe
    3. Cat-back exhaust
    3. Fuel rails, IC hoses.
    4. Engine Management (Utec, Access Port, ECUtek reflash, AEM EMS, Vishnu EM)
    5. Bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bigger turbo.
    6. Bigger IC.
    7. STi RA gearset and better clutch or better Trans and better clutch.

Steve
    Last edited by wrxaddicted; 05-20-2005 at 05:09 PM.

I recommend you mod in the following order:

1. K&N drop in.
    2. Uppipe/Downpipe
    3. Cat-back exhaust
    3. Fuel rails, IC hoses.
    4. Engine Management (Utec, Access Port, ECUtek reflash, AEM EMS, Vishnu EM)
    5. Bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bigger turbo.
    6. Bigger IC.

Steve
    oh yeah, with suspension, you are on your own.
    Last edited by wrxaddicted; 05-20-2005 at 05:08 PM.

oh yeah, with suspension, you are on your own.
    awesome thanks for all of the advice. I care more about HP right now then I do a cooler noise so I will follow some of the mod outlines you layed out. Modifying these cars is so much different then my old Mustang lol. I tuned my old Mustang with a DiabloSport Predator tune which was really easy to use, so I hope some of these engine management programs for the wrx are just as easy to use.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome... Have fun and good luck on the mods...

Utec is a well used em and lots of people can tune those.
    I'm trying to learn...but I let my boyfriend do all the tuning...hes really good with numbers and values..??
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES