How to get into modding
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to get into modding within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, here's the deal. I am not only a new WRX owner, but a new driver as well. I have ...

Question How to get into modding

Ok, here's the deal.

I am not only a new WRX owner, but a new driver as well. I have only had my license for bout a month now, and my WRX is my first car. I love my car as it is, but would also like to get into modding.

First question, when did y'all get into modding? I'm only 16, and am wondering if that's a little young to be messing with the insides of my car.

Next, what would y'all suggest for my first mod? I don't have a job at the moment, and won't be getting one until school gets out in 3 weeks, so money is a HUGE factor. My parents sure aren't going to pay for this.

Last, anyone had and warrenty problems? Should I be worried about warrenty problems? I would love to add a little extra 'oomph' to my 4th and 5th gears, but if it means voiding my warrenty, I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Thanks in advance,
    Hoodedcarrot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Practice driving before you mod. And congrats on the car and license!
    luxury is 1.00 BAR+ of boost and the inability for your passenger to touch the dashboard

WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodedcarrot
    I would also like to get into modding.
    watch The Fast and The Furious.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

do a lot of research before you touch anything on the wrx. the wrx is not like other cars when it comes to modding. just do you research before you buy and install anything and you should be fine.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

t
    I recommend a accessport and just leave it at that for a while. Suby dealers tend to hassle you a lot for mods, and you can take the accessport out when you go to the dealer so it's undetectable. Easy 30 or so hp without having to do much, also the feature makes it worth while go to www.cobbtuning.com and read up. Also search for the " silencer delete mod. If I were i'd stick to those two for a little bit.

I got my first car when I was 16 also and I haven't been able to stop modding. It's certainly addicting, like they all say.

Yes, I agree that the Accessport is probably the most painless and worthwhile mod you can start with, but be prepared to shell out some money ($500-$600 depending on used or new).

To "finance" my modding appetite as a teenager, I used to work at Carl's Jr and put all my money into my car. Now I have a $60,000 job and can spare some change instead of flippin' burgers

In retrospect, I had a lot of fun modding my car then but was disgusted when I totalled my car (a truck in front of me blew a huge tire belt). I can't even say I wouldn't do it all over again, but there's certainly an argument to be made for saving money and looking towards the future. Just be careful on the streets and enjoy a car that most 20+ year olds consider a dream vehicle. See ya on the streets!

Learn to drive.

any warranty / mod issues are covered in the engine performance forum.

I'd say for your first mod you get some new wheels and decent rubber.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EGGO
    Learn to drive.
    +1. Take your time, don't be in such a hurry to mod. The WRX has plenty of performance in stock trim.

Welcome to the club ... read the stickies!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodedcarrot
    Ok, here's the deal.

I am not only a new WRX owner, but a new driver as well. I have only had my license for bout a month now, and my WRX is my first car. I love my car as it is, but would also like to get into modding.

First question, when did y'all get into modding? I'm only 16, and am wondering if that's a little young to be messing with the insides of my car.

Next, what would y'all suggest for my first mod? I don't have a job at the moment, and won't be getting one until school gets out in 3 weeks, so money is a HUGE factor. My parents sure aren't going to pay for this.

Last, anyone had and warrenty problems? Should I be worried about warrenty problems? I would love to add a little extra 'oomph' to my 4th and 5th gears, but if it means voiding my warrenty, I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Thanks in advance,
    Hoodedcarrot.
    Welcome and congrats on a great purchase. Since you are being cautious enough to post something like this, I'd say your taking a step in the right direction. Since driving is still a bit new to you, the first mod I can think of is to find a nice big open parking lot (or driving school better yet) and practise cornering, HARD braking, and cornering while braking. Basically think of scenarious you might encounter on the road (emergency lane change maneuver comes to mind) and try it out to see how your car responds and what you need to do to correct any out of control actions. Basically...get comfortable with the car first before you start changing it's performance.

Next...since cost is probably your biggest concern, you need to be careful about any modifications as your really do need to be able to "pay to play" when it comes to modifying your car. For what it's worth, a quick list of mods from lowest to highest in terms of cost are as follows:
    1. SS brake line
    2. Performance brake pads
    3. Performance brake fluid (not needed if you have no intentions of tracking the car).
    4. Up Pipe (hard to install though)
    5. Down pipe (easy to install if you catch the bolts before they "set".
    6. Exhaust
    7. Adjustable sway bars: be cautious and set them on the minimal setting if you use them without experience.
    8. Springs...lower your center of gravity but dont' go to low (1" is fine)
    9. Tires...this will make a significant change to your handling.
    10. Engine management..cheapest and most conservative (ie: reliable) is probably Cobb Accessport). This is also you biggest performance gain for the dollar spent and like a previous poster said, can be made "invisible" to the dealer.

Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WRX
    watch The Fast and The Furious.

Seriously though: Learn the car, first. Become a good driver. It's already more car than a n00b can use. You might want to look into handling mods rather than power. I know it's hard to do though.
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I am well on my way to understading my cars limitations, as I play with its handeling, cornering, acceleration, brakeing, anything i can think of when there are no other cars around me.

It will be at least 6 months before i accumulate enough money to do any sort of work on my car, so i should be very comfertable and accustom with my cars preformence.

As for your suggestions, handling before power? Makes sense, if i can bring my self to do it. Any specific handling mods i should go for first? I would really love to turn my car into something I can be pround of (not that i am not already, i show it off at every chance).

And, as for installation. I am moderatly handy with building and putting together stuff, but don't want to screw up my car (or worse) by putting somthing in backwards, or forgetting a screw. Would you guys recommend taking it to a shop instead (anyone got some suggestions for shops in the Detroit area)? I've got some friends that say they could do any installation, but that still seems risky to me.

Thanks again for all your info
    Hoodedcarrot.

I agree that before you start doing many mods you first need to learn not only how to drive, but how to drive your WRX. Don't be like a lot of those high school kids who sit at lights reving their engines and trying to race anyone who pulls next to them. If you got a local track or strip, I strongly suggest that you race there (its cheaper in the long run than on the streets and safer too!) While I too am new to my WRX, I have done mods on my previous cars (1978 Plymouth Volare SW with a 3" lift kit and 295s in the rear anyone?) and I can tell you that without plenty of research you can seriously screw a lot of stuff up. Good luck, keep your eyes open, and drive safe!

I Support ClubWRX
    There are "how to" install posts scattered throughout here. I usually go to WRXhackers.com as they are dedicated to posting how to mods with pictorials and everything. For suspension mods, brake pads and lines are fairly easy. For springs, get help. For sway bars and end links, you should be able to handle it. Exhaust isn't difficult either. Up pipe...get help. Down pipe...someone who has done it before would be very helpful.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.