question about exhaust set up

This is a discussion on question about exhaust set up within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i jsut got my 02 wrx just about a month ago, i wanted to get a tbe casue ive been ...

question about exhaust set up

i jsut got my 02 wrx just about a month ago, i wanted to get a tbe casue ive been reading its a good first mod and will have good gains...my question is i want something not too showy or anything...i was thinking a more "sleeper look"...do you think a perrin dp and an sti catback would be good, therefore making in catless just with an sti catback?...or will the catack make create many restricitons for the air flow?? Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the STi catback is 2.5", not bad, but not great. get a good downpipe, thats where the power will be gained.

the catback is more or less for the sound/style. the STi probably has the best sound deadening.. the BB turboback (BBexhaust.com) is really nice, and i almost got it before i got a full Invidia TBE for a silly price. anyway, the BB has a classy lookin twin tip design that would look sleeper and sound wicked.
    Dave
    01 RS

how much do they run?

i've seen the whole BB setup for $1030. (from vividracing and another site, can't remember)

a good downpipe you can get anywhere.. Invidia, Helix, etc. the BB catback i believe is around $750...

some places are running deals on Invidia systems right now, I've seen 3 sites running a "$775" shipped competetive markdown for the full turboback. I got mine from Flatironstuning.com. but, its definitely NOT sleeper. loud, powerful, and a pretty darn good size single tip.
    Dave
    01 RS

between dp's which would u go with..invidia or perrin? and reasons for either or thanlks alot

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an HKS DP and HKS HiPower cat back, good performance good sound, not too loud, good looks but big single tipped can

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I love my ebay DP and SPT single tip 3'' no cats back This exhaust is AKA bosal single tip and they make a dual tip which looks nice if you want to keep the dual tip look.

isn't the hks downpipe just a 3" pipe? and its not a bellmouth, but a flat flange like the oem pipe? doesn't that defeat part of the purpose of an aftermarket dp?

yea thats right, i forgot about bosal
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by wrx slob
    between dp's which would u go with..invidia or perrin? and reasons for either or thanlks alot
    frankly, its a toss up. i have the polished invidia and it looks awesome. the welds are immaculate, and the quality is super high. they have an un-polished version thats slightly cheaper. the perrin looks great, and i don't know if the twin dump concept is really that effective, especially theirs because the wastegate pipe is so short., its not much different than a split flange bellmouth.

so, anyways, i'd say go for either one, whichever you can get cheaper. they're both really high quality, the invidia i know because i have one.
    Dave
    01 RS

What about helix? Have you checked them out? I have the borla hush exhaust andi love it! It is a true sleeper. It is a little louder than stock and it keeps the twintip just like the stock. I also just bought the helix up and down pipe they are in the box on the floor waiting to be put on. Hope this helps.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    isn't the hks downpipe just a 3" pipe? and its not a bellmouth, but a flat flange like the oem pipe? doesn't that defeat part of the purpose of an aftermarket dp?

yea thats right, i forgot about bosal
    It is 3.5" and flows to a 3" pipe, never said it was the best one but for 126 bucks it is a good pipe, also a bellmouth pipe would be nice if you plan on swapping ur turbo but its ok if you dont plan too. Also the point of a downpipe is to eliminate cats and weight. The HKS is effective at both.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

the problem is, im under warrentee still, so when i bring my car to the dealer i need to swap these parts out...how long would it take to swap out an up pipe? ive read atealt 3 hours, seems like a while, and also, is it a tough job or is it not too bad...thanks

what would happen if you did not swap lets say an upipe or downpipe and brought it to the dealer for just a service whatever and nothing was wrong with the car? Is that Ok?

yeah i suppose it would be, id h ave to talk to one of the mechanics and the manager i know