Looking at buying WRX - some questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking at buying WRX - some questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been lurking here on the boards for a couple weeks now, seems like you guys have a nice community ...

Looking at buying WRX - some questions

I've been lurking here on the boards for a couple weeks now, seems like you guys have a nice community here. It's always nice to see a good group of people, rather than everyone attacking eachother like some forums.

Hopefully some of you will reply with your personal experience to help me out a bit.

I'm looking at buying a WRX (obviously), but there are a few things I need to get figured out first.

Comfort:
    Anyone on here have children in a carseat in their WRX? I test drove one, room wise in the rear *seems* to be decent. My wife's car is the one with the carseat now (for our 2yr. daughter), but that could switch over to my car so I don't want it to be too uncomfortable.
    Thoughts?
    What about 4 adults in the car? Doable? Or uncomfortable?

Performance:
    Is there a link on here to the stock turbo specs? I'm looking for upgrade options in the future.
    Seems the best upgrade path is start with ECU and TBE.
    If I went with the Cobb TBE with high flow cat - what type of noise increase can be expected? I'm not looking for an obnoxious exhaust. Something that flows decent, but is still quiet on the highway.

Short throw shifter - I did some searches, but couldn't find anything. Is the only option direct from Subaru?

That's it for now I guess. I'd love to go with an STi, but I just bought a house and the price is a pretty big difference.

Oh, and last thing. What BOV and CAI should I buy? (I'm joking)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To answer a few of your questions:

I believe there's a sticky somewhere regarding the stock turbo specs.

Upgrade paths can be so varied it's nuts, but you're certainly on the right track. An ECUTek reflash, Cobb AP or TurboXS UTEC properly tuned, coupled with an up-pipe and turbo-back exhaust will give you GREAT gains that you'll feel everywhere in the power-band. If you want to keep noise to a minimum, one reccomendation would be a turboXS stealth-back (catted) coupled with a Prodrive Axle-Back. Alternatively, you could go with the catted DP or your choice, mated to a Borla Hush or Greddy EVO catback. Either option will be pretty nice and quiet at cruise, but still sound great at WOT. If you remove all the cats, it's gonna be noisy pretty much no matter what, however.

The STi factory short-throw option is only one of many short-throw shifters available. The most popular aftermarket shifter is the Kartboy with bushings, which I have myself and absolutely love. Most aftermarket short-throws are also cheaper than the factory option. They generally come in around $100-$150 for the shifter and $30 for the bushings.

Whoever told you BOV and CAI aren't good for HP is lying, they'll add like 900HP all the way from 2000rpm - redline!
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

WRX
    I use a car seat for my 3 month old, and it works really well. No problems there.

You can fit 4 adults in it, but the back isn't all that big.

Performance= Just teach your little one to say 'bigger turbo mommy' and you'll be set.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

I'll search around for that turbo sticky. I was reading a thread earlier with different turbos listed and pros/cons. Very informative.

Exhaust is definately going to stay catted. I have a n/a Dodge Stratus with a built motor (12.5:1 compression, huge cams, etc.) - and I won't be going down that path again.
    Thanks for listing a few options though, that helps out a lot, I'll do some research on all of them.

WRX - since your carseat must be rear facing for your 3 mo. old, that helps me with the space issue.

If I understand it correctly, all of the ECU reflashes are basically predetermined programs that you can choose to have flashed in. None of the ECU options give you personally the ability to tune them, correct?

I forgot to ask this earlier - with the WRX, are any of you guys upgrading the fuel system beyond STi injectors and upgraded pump? RRFPR good on these cars, or not needed?
    Last edited by TunedWRX; 05-19-2005 at 07:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.