WRX Not coming with Boost Gauge?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX Not coming with Boost Gauge? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I am buying a WRX this week and I just sold my old car so i've been searching ...

WRX Not coming with Boost Gauge?

Hello everyone,

I am buying a WRX this week and I just sold my old car so i've been searching around for the best buys on WRX's and I found one I really like. It's a 2005 but It doesn't come with a Boost gauge. Is that normal? I thought all WRX's came with at least a stock boost gauge. Does this hold true for the 2005's? It is used with 5,000 miles on it, so it's still very low mileage. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a factory option. If you want a gauge do some research and make sure you buy an accurate one, good brand. I don't know of any though but I hear quality varies.
    2003 WRX 5MT sedan

I was at the dealer yesterdady for some service and was walking the lot. Turns out that the Boost guage, short shifter kit, and...aw jeeze...one other thing...aw man what was it....hrmmm.....ooh yeah, titanium STI shift nob. the 3 pieces together as "the performance package" was an extra $960...damn if i would have know the aftermarket options available when i bought the car, i probably would have looked for one wihtout those and picked out my own parts...plus I dont' like the turbo guaeg on the left side of the cluster, hiding behind my left hand when it's on the steering wheel.
    ('._-=SchmilK=-_.')
    i'M a FReaKy STReaKeR LiKe WiNNie THe Poo
    T-SHiRT, No PaNTS, aND i DaNCe THe BooGaLoo

Quote Originally Posted by SchmilK
    I was at the dealer yesterdady for some service and was walking the lot. Turns out that the Boost guage, short shifter kit, and...aw jeeze...one other thing...aw man what was it....hrmmm.....ooh yeah, titanium STI shift nob. the 3 pieces together as "the performance package" was an extra $960...damn if i would have know the aftermarket options available when i bought the car, i probably would have looked for one wihtout those and picked out my own parts...plus I dont' like the turbo guaeg on the left side of the cluster, hiding behind my left hand when it's on the steering wheel.
    DAMN $960 just for those 3 pieces? That's ridiculous, yeah buying aftermarket parts is way cheaper. Im not sure what short shift kits run on the WRX's, but on my old car it was only $175 and that was for a top of the line one and the shift knob is like $35 lol.. Yeah I will just buy the aftermarket parts, I love the car too much to let something like a boost gauge not coming with it to come in between us. Thanks for all the info people I will post pics when I get the car either today or tomorrow. I've been wanting a WRX for so long man and I finally got an excuse to get one since I am going to Kansas in the fall with all the snow

that's actually really good placement - its centered right in your tach when you look at your engine speed, you can see your boost as well. Otherwise you have to look in 2 different directions to see the two. Its REALLY hard to see what your boost is at any particular RPM when its all the way over in your clock pod. Gauges need to be organized. gauges that work together should stay together. RPM and boost should be together. Voltage, oil pressure, and EGTshould go together...and in my case, water spray tank level, water spray pressure, and air charge temp go together.

grouping gauges by function is VERY important.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I had similarly high quotes for boost gauge/short shifter etc when I bought my 02' 3 years ago. I held off on those options and I'm glad I did. For $130 I have a kartboy SS w/bushings that I think feels far better than the sti short shift option, and my Greddy boost gauge sure beats the times 45mm stock gauge. Skip the options and save money now; you can upgrade to those things later for less and get a better product at the same time.
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

Registered User PeregrineFalcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KUJayHwkStyl
    DAMN $960 just for those 3 pieces? That's ridiculous, yeah buying aftermarket parts is way cheaper. Im not sure what short shift kits run on the WRX's, but on my old car it was only $175 and that was for a top of the line one and the shift knob is like $35 lol.. Yeah I will just buy the aftermarket parts, I love the car too much to let something like a boost gauge not coming with it to come in between us. Thanks for all the info people I will post pics when I get the car either today or tomorrow. I've been wanting a WRX for so long man and I finally got an excuse to get one since I am going to Kansas in the fall with all the snow
    Congratz...I also am picking up my new car this weekend (Blue '05 brand new). I am very excited myself.

actually the WRX short shifter is nice. Its not just a new lever, it replaces the whole linkage. Also the stock shifter is rod-inside-a-rubber-damper-inside-a-metal-tube design which really kills a lot of noise and vibration. The boost gauge...well...it DOES work, but you can get your own. I DO like the stock palcement though.

one thing about aftermarket boost gauges. I think some of them splice into your boost control line. these can mess up some EM's like Accessports. get one that reads boost off your ECU like the stock one, or somewhere else electronically rather than mechanically.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-17-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I'm not sure you can get an aftermarket gauge that reads 'electrically' instead of off an actual vacum source. The stock gauge I believe is tapped to the BPV line, and you can always tap off the fuel pressure regulator. Either of these options will allow you to get an acccurate vacumn reading without splicing into either the boost controller solenoid lines, or the wastegate-compressor line.

For clarification, I have a 60mm Greddy Electronic boost gauge - electronic in this case means that your tapped vacumn source will be connected to a 'sender' in the engine bay. The sender still gets a mechanical boost reading, but translates it into an electronic signal and sends the reading to the gauge via a cable through the firewall. A mechanical gauge like the stocker physically routes a vacumn line through the firewall to your vacumn source of choice (in that case the BPV).
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

Boost gauge is an option.

I got Boost Gauge and Short Shift Kit for $850
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.