downpipe question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on downpipe question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi guys, before you start flaming me for asking a noob@$$ question, i DID run a search on it. i ...

downpipe question

hi guys, before you start flaming me for asking a noob@$$ question, i DID run a search on it. i have been browsing the forums here for a few days and i have seen a lot of suggestions for catless downpipes. my question is that if it is a catless downpipe, wouldn't that make it illegal? if so, how do you guys with downpipes all get around that for inspection? thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey bro

Any modification performed on any exhaust component with a catalytic converter is illegal because it will not be CARB certified. That means that no matter what brand of uppipe/downpipe you buy (even ones with a cat) it will be illegal.

Most people just swap in their stock downpipe for inspection.

not to be an........... but he can change it by himself, but his cat has to not work, by being clogged or having a massive hole from bottoming out cough. that would make it fully legal.
    As far as I know couldn't he change his muffler piping and other crap as long as the parts are certified. I can get away with it more easily, old car, but still.

Oh yeah no coffee can exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iroc-Z89
    not to be an........... but he can change it by himself, but his cat has to not work, by being clogged or having a massive hole from bottoming out cough. that would make it fully legal.

Even then u might still have to take it to a muffler shop or dealership to have it replaced by a certified technician who has to report it...don't quote me on that though.

But since most aftermarket dp's replace the 2 cats for the wrx, the aftermarket dp's that have a single high flow cat is still illegal, because u must have all "original" cats in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer4LifeGT
    my question is that if it is a catless downpipe, wouldn't that make it illegal? if so, how do you guys with downpipes all get around that for inspection? thanks in advance.
    Most of the time they swap back their stock exhausts (up/dp) when smog check rolls around.

Sometimes u can get away with a catless up though, as it is difficult to see during visual inspection.

And to answer any other future questions u might have on the legality of mods on a wrx, almost all engine mods are illegal except a catback exhaust (which can still be illegal if it is too loud).

cool, i'll look into how hard it would be to swap it out. thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer4LifeGT
    cool, i'll look into how hard it would be to swap it out. thanks guys.

I'll save u the time. Dp: relatively easy for do-it-yourselfers, Up: relatively difficult and time consuming and a PITA for do-it-yourselfers

sounds good. looks like downpipe is gonna be best for me. i appreciate the help.

To add to that, I was told that a car with: Catless Up-Pipe, Catted Downpipe and Catback Exhaust would still fail a smog test VISUALLY.

This begs the question: Why bother purchasing a more expensive, Catted Downpipe if it's useless for smog anyways (visually)?

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by LT21

This begs the question: Why bother purchasing a more expensive, Catted Downpipe if it's useless for smog anyways (visually)?

Thanks for the replies.

Some people want power but don't want to smell the fumes (u can sometimes smell the fumes at a stoplight). If a cop is behind you and can smell the fumes they can easily tell you removed your cats. You're more likely to get pulled over, asked to pop your hood, and get sent to the state ref that way.

Aah, then Catted Downpipe it is. California cops are way too savvy for me to risk it. (plenty of experiences with my former car)

Quote Originally Posted by LT21
    Aah, then Catted Downpipe it is. California cops are way too savvy for me to risk it. (plenty of experiences with my former car)

ok so here's the deal. after 1995, you MUST have something wrong with your cat to work on it. if its still under warranty (120K miles for Subaru) you MUST replace is with OEM parts. ANY exhaust mods before the 3rd cat are 100% illegal. you can't replace them with existing high flow cats because there are currently NONE that are certified as after-market replacements. In CA if its not stock its illegal. period. end of discussion. thank all the tree huggers. even though an good quality cat would actually work BETTER than what you have now, AND get you better gas milage, you can't do it.

My Stg2 setup with a 3" high flow actually get me about 70-80 miles more on a tank of gas AND I have lower emissions that expected for my car with 3 stock cats...but its still illegal.

I'm NOT going to go off on a political rant though.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.