Racing: Who would win?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Racing: Who would win? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You guys aren't going to like this, I have a 1989 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-Z TPI305. A kid wants to race ...

Racing: Who would win?

You guys aren't going to like this, I have a 1989 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-Z TPI305.
    A kid wants to race me, he has a WRX I dont know the year. It has very little to no mods.
    So I figure you guys know what he has. I would like to know what these cars run.
    My car is rated at 230 hp and 300tq, It has a five speed manual with 3.45's, here are some pics. I have been told that I will be ripped from the dig but I will chew him in second and third gear. But that is coming from camaro guys. I was also told if I want to put a beating on him to run him from a 30 mph roll. Here are some pics of my car. I would like honest input. I take losing very seriously and my car is pretty much a collector's item.
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sweet car!

depends. do you know if the dude have extensive modifications?

i've beaten my friend's SS (timewise) at the 1/4 mile - but that's because my car is a little heavy modded. same with a camaro RS modded. i've beat him from a stop, 20mph roll and 40mph.

if his car is stock, you should pass him by the end of 2nd gear.

Not that I know of, he said he just got it. Thanks. How is the high end on the wrx? I dont make that 230 till 4500rpm and thats when my mainfold starts to die.

what high end

stock WRX don't have much up there. we have plenty of torque from a dig. but once it get's to about 5k rpms, it starts to die. to put it in a better perpective, from a roll, you'll kill a stock WRX - easy.

EDIT: not to say that the WRX don't have any to go against your car, because it does. it comes 227hp & tq from the factory. but the AWD is not a big factor when racing on roll. and to make matters more complicated, the car's toooooo heavy. i don't know how much your car weighs, but the WRX is around 3200-3400 lbs.
    Last edited by GotWRX03; 05-14-2005 at 08:26 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm. Please don't take offense, because I have great respect for the newer LS1 powered Camaros, but I've never really seen great numbers (by modern standards) from those IROC cars. I was thinking that those were mid-14 second cars like the WRX, though they may trap a bit higher.

I think it's a driver's race, though you may have an advantage if he's not willing or capable of beating the snot out of his car to really get all it can deliver. If you race from a roll, I think that you will have a definite advantage. Like the man said, the stock WRX runs out of steam at the high end, and really isn't all that quick with the AWD taken out of the picture.

Very nice looking example of an IROC, btw. Back in their day, I wouldn't mind having had one.

Disclaimer: Please don't streetrace...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+1

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX

yeah, i have a lot of low end but my high end dies at 5000, and redline is supposed to be 5500, but it has seen 6500. with no problems

The car is somwhat under rated, in good shape they pull low 14's, but it depends on the car, at that point chevy still made cars to order. there are Irocs that run 17's. Mine weighs in somewhere between 3350-3600 with out driver, mine came with alot of parts that were from the vette and so it's heavier but more potent. The 350 version runs about .2 of a second faster and has 15 more horse and 50 lbs of torque on me. They can run a high 13 in stock form.

Slight bolt ons and better emmissions equipment, mid 13's

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    +2. Street racing BAD!

A stock WRX has little oomph after 5000. Add some easy mods and look what happens to the at the wheel horsepressure and torque:

This is what many here are running. Nice example of that era of Camaro ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep. From my experience going through the Cobb mod path, Cobb Stage 2 = the way the WRX should have been from the factory. Very streetable car with minimal lag and respectable power.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow that car looks great for its age!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Nice IROC man

It depends if this kid has any mods, and if he can drive well. Chances are if he just got it he might still be learning the way of the wrx awd launch, which might give you the upper hand. Sounds like it's a pretty even match, race him...ON A TRACK, and let us know how it goes!

yeah will do, i'll take him up to 120, see how he does, I also have to race a Mazda 6 and another Iroc(15 second car) but that might be a joke. I'll take him up to Pocono Raceway. See how many cars i can get to run.

before my wrx, i owned 3 camaros. i had a 80 z28, 86 iroc, and a 95 z28. all of them were stock at first, then became not so stock. hehehe. from my personal experience with camaros, especially irocs(5 yrs), the 305 tuned port is a dog. they are poorly designed and not that fast. don't race the wrx, you will prolly lose. In stock form, they are a low 15 sec car at best(and thats at sea level). camaro = no traction. i'll always be a camaro fan and i think yours is a beauty. take good care of her, and put a 383 stroker in there .

if he has a manual boost controller and any ecu he will have better top end. not great but alot better than stock boost wich is gone almost as quick as it starts. the little turbo is wheezy but the mbc or ebc and some tuning could make the diference for him at least 14 flat or better. but the driver makes a huge dif. im still tryin to get the hang of launchin these AWD cars. when it goes right though it is glorious indeed. my ghetto vishnu set up helped my sickly car out alot. boost till redline. that in its self i think makes a great diference. and you may think his car is stock but don't be so sure. bolt ons are great but tuning is the best. if at best he had a reflash that could make his car put down possibly 210 whp. you have 230 and alot of toque but his car is lighter and AWD.

its a drivers race
    have fun

P.S. do you have one of those shirts that says my other shirt is a camaro?
    sorry couldn't help it
    APR in Redding cali is the best shop anywhere!

everkain, I know why you say TPI is a dog but its not here are your two reasons,
    your cam.
    305 AT 14094097 .350 .385 178 194 109.0 (106/-112)

My cam.
    305 5spd / 350 AT 10066049* .415 .430 207 213 117.0 (116/-118)

The tpi starts to drown it self around 5000rpm due to batch fire but other than that it's a beautiful system ported it will put you into the 12's, An aftermarket system can get you into the 8's, Ie ASM runners, TPIS baseplate, and Holley dual 58mm tb. And a modified plenum.

Secondly the cold start injector saps power along with your heads.

And no I am not a country boy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast