Boost?

This is a discussion on Boost? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How much boost does a stock WRX have because i want to buy a blow off valve but i want ...

Boost?

How much boost does a stock WRX have because i want to buy a blow off valve but i want to make sure that it will run right. please respond ASAP and my car is a 2005. thank you
    2005 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX
    Stock ---- but not for long....
    The Glavinator

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny1
    How much boost does a stock WRX have because i want to buy a blow off valve but i want to make sure that it will run right. please respond ASAP and my car is a 2005. thank you
    BOV's don't adjust the boost, and running one will actually hinder performance to a certain degree. You will only need one when running a LARGE turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    BOV's don't adjust the boost, and running one will actually hinder performance to a certain degree. You will only need one when running a LARGE turbo.
    don't listen to him..... it's all about the psssshhhhht....... anyways, a stock WRX will hit 13.5 PSI max i think. with a bov you will run a tad bit rich between shifts, and u will loose a lil power, but it's all about preference. If you plan on pushing over 19 PSI with a big turbo, i suggest getting one.

mine is teh best:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    don't listen to him..... it's all about the psssshhhhht.....
    I guess I'm not all about the pssssshhht, and all about performance. I prefer to keep our new members informed.

I guess I'm not all about the pssssshhht, and all about performance. I prefer to keep our new members informed.

+1, I was just messin with ya.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    +1, I was just messin with ya.
    Don't mind me, my sarcasm detector is on the fritz lately

you wont ever notice a loss in power due to a BOV. i had a greddy type S, HKS SSQ, and Bosch BPV...no difference in performance. worst scenario you have to downshift so you dont stall with a BOV.

Quote Originally Posted by 05WRX0704
    you wont ever notice a loss in power due to a BOV. i had a greddy type S, HKS SSQ, and Bosch BPV...no difference in performance. worst scenario you have to downshift so you dont stall with a BOV.
    yeah.... i have had BOVs on both my WRXs and never noticed a power difference.

Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    Having to downshift to prevent stalling is not regarded as a loss of performance?

FYI..what the previous folks said...if you want the pssht, then go for it and you may or may not get some idling issues, stumbling, etc. Very neglible in my opinion, but certainly noticable. If you want the pssht without the issues, go for an adjustable "recirculating" valve, like the worxtuning BOV. It's what I use for those very reasons. When I want uncomprimised performance, and easy adjustment make it mimic the stock valve to allows full recirc. The sound and air volume are both adjustable.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Having to downshift to prevent stalling is not regarded as a loss of performance?
    uh, at that point youre coming to a stop, so i think its pretty negligible at that point. if you take long enough to shift that your car stalls, you need to go to some sort of manual shifting class. the only downside is again, loss of SOME neutral coasting...you may still be able to coast in SOME situations, depending on how hard you were just pushing the car.

the only time the unrecirc BOV makes a LICK of difference is if you are used to coasting in neutral to a stop rather than downshifting.

if you know how to adjust the BOV and it isnt a cheap piece of junk, you wont have idle problems whatsoever. also, the clsoer the BOV is to the turbo the even less difference it makes. but ive had them right next to the TB and right next to the turbo and no noticable difference. and i was making a hell of a lot more power to the wheels on my last car than on this one...

also, with the greddy type S if you really believe all this hype about problems when shifting etc feel free to recirc it...with the HKS you cannot, but you can with the greddy.

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought a RFL last year for test purposes. No matter how many washers were in it, the car stumbled between shifts, and lost driveability. To me it's not worth it. I like my cars to run 100% all the time no matter what. To some those driveability problems don't bother them.

I bought a RFL last year for test purposes. No matter how many washers were in it, the car stumbled between shifts, and lost driveability. To me it's not worth it. I like my cars to run 100% all the time no matter what. To some those driveability problems don't bother them.
    i dont even know what a RFL is. you might want to throw a greddy or HKS on there because i had ZERO problems.

I Support ClubWRX
    i dont even know what a RFL is. you might want to throw a greddy or HKS on there because i had ZERO problems.
    TXS RFL. One of the most famous WRX BOV's. All 100% BOVs will do this because they are robbing the engine of a little bit of air that it is mapped for between shifts.

so basically you should get a 50/50 BOV? Is Blitz good for not losing power?

Quote Originally Posted by WrxRick
    so basically you should get a 50/50 BOV? Is Blitz good for not losing power?
    i cant comment on blitz never had one.