Wow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wow! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally got to drive the sti a little bit. Put over 400 mostly highway miles on her this weekend, ...

Cool Wow!

I finally got to drive the sti a little bit. Put over 400 mostly highway miles on her this weekend, damn it was fun.
    There is no such thing as, "too much Horse Power"!

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MSDWRXSTI
    I finally got to drive the sti a little bit. Put over 400 mostly highway miles on her this weekend, damn it was fun.
    well..... here is how it goes.... she'll seem fast for the first couple of weeks driving her, but then slowly she seems slower and slower. This is called the infectious "mod disease" and is highly contagious on this site. Soon stock won't be fast enough, then you get your first mod, then another couple weeks go by, the you'll need more, and more, and more, until you eventually blow your block/tranny, or you get sooooo many speeding tickets you're just over going fast. End rant.

Steve

She left the dealer with my first mod already installed by the dealer, a K&N Typhoon intake. Next step is I believe will be a Cobb stage 2, I like the fact that you can have 10 different programs installed in the ECU, that way I can leave it near stock when my wife drives and bump it up for me. I hear their cat back/turbo back is very good with nice sound and it is stainless. The Cobb 2 is said to bring HP to around 350 at the crank.Checked out their website last week them seem like a quality outfit.

About 150 miles of that 400 was on winding 2 lane blacktop that was the real fun part. We haven't been babying it but we haven't been over reving it either. For the first 500 miles I had the shift light come on at 5000 rpm but no I'm letting it rev to 6000 rpm. I'll change the oil & filter in another 100 miles.
    Last edited by MSDWRXSTI; 05-12-2005 at 09:36 AM.

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake

She left the dealer with my first mod already installed by the dealer, a K&N Typhoon intake. Next step is I believe will be a Cobb stage 2, I like the fact that you can have 10 different programs installed in the ECU, that way I can leave it near stock when my wife drives and bump it up for me. I hear their cat back is very good with nice sound and it is stainless. The Cobb 2 is said to bring HP to around 350 at the crank.Checked out their website last week them seem like a quality outfit.

About 150 miles of that 400 was on winding 2 lane blacktop that was the real fun part. We haven't been babying it but we haven't bee over reving it either. For the first 500 miles I had the shift light come on at 5000 rpm but no I'm letting it rev to 6000 rpm. I'll change the oil & filter in another 100 miles.
    cobb AP + any intake besides drop in =

i highly recommend you go with a UTEC or a ECUtec reflash.

regards,

Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    i highly recommend you go with a UTEC or a ECUtec reflash.

regards,

Steve
    I highley recommend the Cobb upgrade path you are intending. nheh...
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

YBNormal07 said:
    I highley recommend the Cobb upgrade path you are intending. nheh...

I like all the different points of view on this board but sometimes it is difficult to discern whether or not someone is serious, does "nheh... " mean you actually do like the Cobb upgrade path or that you don't. I always do a great deal of research before I put down my hard earned $$$ so I seriously weigh everyone’s input but I just want to be sure I understand you correctly.

wrxaddicted can you give me some valid reasons why you don't like Cobb AP (Access PORT) ECU Programer and the K&N Typhoon Air Intake? I know Cobb provides the K&N dropin to go with their stage 2.
    If you are worried about a lean run condition I don't believe this will be the case as the sti is rich from the factory and it could do with a little extra air. The map programs can also be fine tuned, I will check with Cobb to make sure there is no problem using the Typhoon before I continue with the mods.

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake

I Support ClubWRX
    YBNormal07 said:

I like all the different points of view on this board but sometimes it is difficult to discern whether or not someone is serious, does "nheh... " mean you actually do like the Cobb upgrade path or that you don't. I always do a great deal of research before I put down my hard earned $$$ so I seriously weigh everyone’s input but I just want to be sure I understand you correctly.

wrxaddicted can you give me some valid reasons why you don't like Cobb AP (Access PORT) ECU Programer and the K&N Typhoon Air Intake? I know Cobb provides the K&N dropin to go with their stage 2.
    If you are worried about a lean run condition I don't believe this will be the case as the sti is rich from the factory and it could do with a little extra air. The map programs can also be fine tuned, I will check with Cobb to make sure there is no problem using the Typhoon before I continue with the mods.
    Excellent decision making path. My earlier comment was meant to be more of a "nyah, nyah" kind of comment. I use and like the Cobb AP, as the car is my daily driver, and after all my research, I believe the Cobb path is the best bang for the buck, while also providing the most conservative tune for longevity. UTEC is also good, but IMHO, totally dependent on 1) the tuner's abilities, and 2) weather conditions & elevation. If I were more concerened with eeking out every HP I could, and needed something that coudl allow for future mods such as a larger turbo, then I would actually be looking at the Hydra, not UTEC, just because it's has more capabilities, such as more map cells and the capability to drill down better.
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 05-12-2005 at 09:39 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Thanks YBNormal07 for your informative advice.

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks YBNormal07 for your informative advice.
    Your very welcome. For further clarification, I don't want my above post to appear as anti-UTEC. It is a very robust system for our vehicles and if it fit my own priorities better, I would buy it in a hearbeat.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    well..... here is how it goes.... she'll seem fast for the first couple of weeks driving her, but then slowly she seems slower and slower. This is called the infectious "mod disease" and is highly contagious on this site. Soon stock won't be fast enough, then you get your first mod, then another couple weeks go by, the you'll need more, and more, and more, until you eventually blow your block/tranny, or you get sooooo many speeding tickets you're just over going fast. End rant.

Steve

I've got an easy cure for this disease!

Borrow your friends honda for a week and drive that around. Going back to your STi will definitely feel fast again.
    2004 WRBlue Impreza WRX

YBNormal07 said:

well, it's not that i'm against the AP, it's a great for off the shelf EM, but without the street tuner, you really can't tune it. Even with the street tuner, a lot of places don't know anything about dyno tuning the AP. AP + Street tuner = more than a Utec.

harmanmotive in southern cali is gonna tune it soon so for 600 bucks +tune price you get a tuned car for less than utec.(im assumming)

about the K&N typhoon intake..they arent recommended but from what people tell me K&N TYPHOON and aps intake seem to do well with cobb.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Isnt the initial breakin period like 4500 miles to have the same oil in it the whole time??? I thought that you were not supposed to change it till 4500 for the turbo, thats what my dealer told me! Then after that I went synthetic
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

stis are def. a blast time drive...just wait till you get bit by the mod bug
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast