Problem with inspection!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Problem with inspection! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had my wrx for about 2 weeks now and ofcourse this year in New York they changes all inspection ...

Problem with inspection!

I had my wrx for about 2 weeks now and ofcourse this year in New York they changes all inspection computers, so now all they do is plyg in to ur computer and thats it.

Since I have a full invidia exhaust my check engine ligh is on b/c there are no cat converters. So I failed the Emission. My mechanic tried turning the light off but it just keeps turning back on. So now I have to change the whole exhaust back to stock and back again just do pass the damn inspection.

Is there any way to awoid this? I heard there is some sort of a chip put to trick the computer or something? I really need to do something about this because I don't want to change my exhaust back and forth every year!
    04 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Perrin... has a new product out... maybe check them out. Its a box of some sort... cant remember the name... but its supposed to work really well. I've got 02 resister , which I got from Worldone. You can check out both websites. Hope I was some help.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

WRX
    EcuTek reflash is supposed to take that code out.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

there's an easy, cheap fix on fastwrx.com. check the site out, in fact:

http://www.fastwrx.com/celfixkit.html

the reason u faid is because you have check engine codes goin off....you also wont pass the sniffer test either or cat inspection....you can do a cel fix or get EM to turn off the check engine light but youll need atleast 1 cat to pass the other tests
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

The Perrin is a waste of money from what I hear, you can get a helix cell fix for 5 bucks, or a mechanical fix (O2 Spacer) for about the same. That will take care of the light, but yeah you will need at least one cat to pass the sniffer test, or a visual, but it sounds like the mechanic is pretty cool so you prob wont need one for the visual.

Edit: The Perrin is called just a Perrin O2 Simulator, its like 55-60 bucks.
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

THey dont do sniffer test any more, and if you know the guy he wond do visual eather. All they do now is plug it in and thats it. Thats why I need to trick the computer.

OK so theres to chips for this. The one AngelBoy recomended for 25 bucks or the Perrin one for $66. Which one you think will do the job better?
    Last edited by TranceDiablo; 05-10-2005 at 04:22 PM.
    04 STI

Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW
    Perrin... has a new product out... maybe check them out. Its a box of some sort... cant remember the name... but its supposed to work really well. I've got 02 resister , which I got from Worldone. You can check out both websites. Hope I was some help.
    I was able to successfully pass inspection with this unit hooked up.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/Pro...WRX/O2_Sim.htm
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed

I just caught your statement under your moniker "YBnormal07 should never drive in Jersey"...

I just came back from there today...GSP to NJTP to PA. Got cut off at least 6 times (musta had a sign on that said..."Please scratch my new Carbon Fiber hood..thanks!!"

I hate driving in Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways...sorry for the OT.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I just caught your statement under your moniker "YBnormal07 should never drive in Jersey"...

I just came back from there today...GSP to NJTP to PA. Got cut off at least 6 times (musta had a sign on that said..."Please scratch my new Carbon Fiber hood..thanks!!"

I hate driving in Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways...sorry for the OT.
    I figured you would like that.

I freak out every time I drive in Jersey now for the same reason.

/hijack, game on.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TranceDiablo
    THey dont do sniffer test any more, and if you know the guy he wond do visual eather. All they do now is plug it in and thats it. Thats why I need to trick the computer.

OK so theres to chips for this. The one AngelBoy recomended for 25 bucks or the Perrin one for $66. Which one you think will do the job better?

just curious, but what's the point of a smog inspection if they don't check for emissions?

Or if it isn't a smog inspection, what is the inspection really for?
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 05-12-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed

I have this also. works like a charm. it was like $40 when I got it bout a year ago. if you dont know how to set it up talk to Rich at Precision Tuning.

www.precisiontuning.com
    See ya on the Parkway
    MODS

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    just curious, but what's the point of a smog inspection if they don't check for emissions?

Or if it isn't a smog inspection, what is the inspection really for?
    They just check if you have catalistic converters installed thats all.

And thanx for the info.. I ordered the sensor and now we wait.

I'll post later how the inspection went.
    04 STI

I Support ClubWRX
    OBD2.5 (00 Newer vehicles) Are supposed to be so advanced that they will know if you have anything wrong with your vehicle that would make it not pass emissions by just tapping the obd2 port under the dash and reading the error codes (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) after a certain amount of cycles if the computer still reads rear cat deterioration your going to set a check engine light (DTC). So the reason they dont do a sniffer test anymore is because the diagnostic port is more accurate and easier to test, also takes a shorter amount of time....However much easier to trick than the sniffer.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    It's OBDII here in my county. I passed once with 2 cats removed, then the next year with zero cats. I had a magic box called an AccessPort.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.