How to build boost
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to build boost within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello - I am a newbie. I have a 05 STI. I have been reading the posts about launching and ...

Post How to build boost

Hello - I am a newbie. I have a 05 STI. I have been reading the posts about launching and a lot of them say to build up the boost before u 'slip' or 'dump' the clutch. I have revved up to 3 or 4 K and do not see the boost gauge going up over negative much. Can someone please help me with building boost before launching. Thanks for your patience.
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not too sure what they are talking about...you can't build much (if any) boost without a load on the engine. Unless you have an anti-lag system or launch control, the best you can do is rev it.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

0 is better than negative... just hold your revs up and slip the clutch and you'll take off just fine. some people have the launch down so well that they can have the car idling, then stomp on the gas just the right amount while slipping the clutch do build a slight amount more boost than by just holding the RPMs, but its tough to do and i dont know if there's really too much benefit to it.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I noticed that if I lightly rev the engine a few times (up to like 1.5-2k), the boost will climb a bit, but I have to be prepared to use the boost otherwise I've just wasted gas.

I remember reading about launching at the tracks and people saying to vary flooring your revs between 4000rpm-6000rpm or so and this will allow the turbo to spool. Then right before you're ready to go keep it floored at a "reasonable" rpm point and slip the clutch (no dumping here!) and you should get a good launch. I dont drag race, so this is just from what I read. G'luck
    99 Cutlass - gone
    01 Integra GS-R bolt-ons - gone
    04 WRX stage 2+ - gone
    06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6 spd - gone
    08 Mercedes E350 4matic Sport - lease turned in
    10 Mazdaspeed 3 SRI/Test Pipe - Current

Welcome to the club!!

This link should give you all the info you need.
    Launch Techniques: READ ME FIRST
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.