New to ClubWRX but need advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to ClubWRX but need advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, my sister is graduating from UCI in 2 months but my parents decided to buy her a car ...

New to ClubWRX but need advice

Hey all, my sister is graduating from UCI in 2 months but my parents decided to buy her a car a month before her graduation. She really likes the Nissan 350z but i recently took her to Irvine Subaru for a sti test drive. She really liked it but she doesent know if a sti would be a "chick" car. I am now 17 and would hope to have the sti after she gets bored of it. Well i wanted to know how reliable STi's are and how good subaru is because most people i ask about subaru tells me its not a well known name. Also i need help to convince her that sti is the right car to buy. I read the forums of 350z vs STi but i still dont know if its the right choice. Also there isnt a problem with her learning to drive stick becasue i can teach her. So help me with opinions on buying a STi. Also she doesent like the regular wrx becuase she likes how a sti looks with the wing and the extra power.
    thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On looks alone, the 350Z will give her the "OC Look" she might be craving. Couple that with the uneven tire wear on the Z, poorly built components, two-person only seating and cramped quarters, and she'll be wishing she bought a Honda Accord in no time.

The STI and Subaru in general are VERY reliable brands...just because everyone isn't driving it around doesn't make it a bad car. Subaru is also much bigger in non-spoiled states unlike CA since they actually experience things like rain (accidents on the 405) and snow (wtf is that from the sky?!). The AWD will keep her very safe on the slick streets of CA freeways.

As for chick appeal, she will absolutely be JOCKED hardcore by anyone who knows anything about cars. It's like a hot girl driving a big truck~something sexy about it. If she gets the STI, it is VERY doubtful she will be handing it down to you any time soon. A couple of things to ponder:

a) The STI is a "hugely, manly experience" (Top Gear). It is NOT for people who are just learning to drive stick--she had better get acquainted real well with the car and its capabilities lest she hurt herself learning. This car is faster than 95% of the other cars on the streets and she may find herself riding a bronco she can't handle.
    b) If she plans to stick around in the Irvine area I hope she has something better than apartment/covered parking. UC Irvine is known for car thefts (most college campuses are) and her leaving the car in some Irvine Apartment Complex ain't gonna help matters. Hope she has a garage, alarm, LoJack, the Club, cameras and a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by LT21
    On looks alone, the 350Z will give her the "OC Look" she might be craving. Couple that with the uneven tire wear on the Z, poorly built components, two-person only seating and cramped quarters, and she'll be wishing she bought a Honda Accord in no time.

The STI and Subaru in general are VERY reliable brands...just because everyone isn't driving it around doesn't make it a bad car. Subaru is also much bigger in non-spoiled states unlike CA since they actually experience things like rain (accidents on the 405) and snow (wtf is that from the sky?!). The AWD will keep her very safe on the slick streets of CA freeways.

As for chick appeal, she will absolutely be JOCKED hardcore by anyone who knows anything about cars. It's like a hot girl driving a big truck~something sexy about it. If she gets the STI, it is VERY doubtful she will be handing it down to you any time soon. A couple of things to ponder:

a) The STI is a "hugely, manly experience" (Top Gear). It is NOT for people who are just learning to drive stick--she had better get acquainted real well with the car and its capabilities lest she hurt herself learning. This car is faster than 95% of the other cars on the streets and she may find herself riding a bronco she can't handle.
    b) If she plans to stick around in the Irvine area I hope she has something better than apartment/covered parking. UC Irvine is known for car thefts (most college campuses are) and her leaving the car in some Irvine Apartment Complex ain't gonna help matters. Hope she has a garage, alarm, LoJack, the Club, cameras and a gun.
    haha... love the gun part.

The big thing that won me over versus other cars was the reliability of subaru. I'm an engineer so I HATE getting a lemon. I also am not one for high luxury of Lexus or infiniti, but I do appreciate higher quality, again, +1 for subaru. Plus, this thing is just fast. Alot of my friends had really fast cars: corvette, viper, etc; so this was just to rub it in their noses. Honestly, STi is a good choice in car.
    I didn't know that nissan had lower quality, but i do know that the only way a 350z is going to out perform an STi is with modification. why bother w/ a z if the sti outperforms it stock and for possibly a lower price?

I do agree with LT21 on the safety and caretaking issues. I refused to buy my new car until i got into a safer neighborhood and could get at least a carport if not a garage. I also got the upgraded security alarm with mine.

best of luck!
    ~Dayton, OH~
    2005 WRX-STi
    Platinum Silver Metallic

Just tell her that she can take more of her friends to the mall in the STI since the Z only fits 2 people... that should do it if she is anything like my girlfriend...
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

Scooby-x (sorry for the quick highjack) but wtf is that on the cat in your avatar?

Its an orange cat biting the white cat, 2 seconds later the white cat gets pissed and fvcks up the orange cat, bad
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

I am new to this forum and the Subaru myself and can only say this. I have always been a V8 muscle car freak. IROC's, Camaro's and Vet's. I drove my WRX and fell in love the first time I drove it and bought it that day. I like the different look of the Subaru cause it sets it apart from every other car out there. It's fast as hell and handles extremely well and from every thing I have read it's put together very well (good quality). I wouldn't park it in an apartment complex. Just my opinion.

PS - I love the gun crack as well.
    Thanks
    Chris

thanks for the replys, and im pretty sure were gona go with the sti next month. I am still wondering if an sti is easy to drive stick on. I drive stick on this 88 pos jetta and i think its pretty easy but what differences would the sti have? because the sti is going to be our first manual car so i was wondering if it is easy to learn and practice on.

k thanks guys

STi was my first stick that I had as a daily driver. I had however driven my friends' cars that were manual. I would say that the STi is pretty easy. The throttle and clutch are prett smooth and light so it doesn't take much effort to shift. steering is pretty light too, which is kind of a hassle, but do-able.

good luck!
    ~Dayton, OH~
    2005 WRX-STi
    Platinum Silver Metallic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.