First time mod questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First time mod questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got a 05 BP WRX and would like to make some mods without spending a ton of cash ...

First time mod questions

I just got a 05 BP WRX and would like to make some mods without spending a ton of cash and without voiding the warranty. I found this post in the sticky for good starting mods.
    Could anyone give me estimates of how much each of these would cost and if they would void the warranty?

Good first mods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought that this would be a helpful thread for those who have just purchased a WRX or STi.

:Engine:
    Uppipe - For the WRX this will allow the turbo to spool a few hundred RPM sooner. Great first mod. The STi has a catless uppipe so there is no need to switch it out.
    Downpipe - Getting rid of this cat will give you a little more top end.
    Turbo back exhaust - This is the downpipe, mid pipe and catback (or axleback). This is a great mod that will free up the exhaust flow from the turbo. Huge gains from this mod. If you have an STi and run a TBE that is totally catless there is a chance that you will get boost creep when hard on the throttle in the later gears.
    Catback or axleback - This will bring a very small hp increase but will bring out that lovely boxer rumble.
    Engine Management - This is a great first mod as it gives you a very safe base for all future mods. If you get to the point where you are considering a turbo upgrade engine management is highly recommended so that you don't blow you engine up.

:Handling:
    Wheels/Tires - One of the best first mods to increase the handling of the car. Get off the stockers. If you have an STi and are in an area where you get snow you will absolutely need to switch out the tires.
    Sway bars - Adding a rear sway bar will greatly decrease the amount of understeer the car has coming from the factory.
    Springs - Adding a set of lowering springs will decrease the body roll and boost the handling.

:Monitoring:
    Gauges - If you are modding the engine in any way you should really have a set of gauges to monitor the engine vitals. You should at least have boost and exhaust gas temp (EGT).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anything listed under engine could void your powertrain warranty.

engine:
    a full helix exhaust w/ u/p and TBE is 800 then the Cobb accessport is 600 which at this point is stage 2....but like brian said will void your warranty so if anythin happens you have 2 put ur stock exhaust on and load the stage 1 map

handling:
    wheels and tires can cost anywhere from 1600 up to 4000 depending on what you want and how much you want to spend
    swaybars and endlinks will cost anywhere from about 350-500
    springs can cost anywhere from 300-500 depending on brand...if you upgrade to a stiffer spring then you should upgrade ur struts as well...struts are usually around 500 or so

monitoring:
    gauges can cost anywhere from about 350 to 1000 once again dependin on brand and what you want

all these prices dont incluse the cost of installation
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    anything listed under engine could void your powertrain warranty.
    Yeah you"might" get away with a cat back but I would ask the dealership 1st and get it in writing.

Springs might also viod your warrenty.

Wheels and Tires. Well I've NEVER heard of anyone vioding their warrenty for those. It's pretty save to say you wont either.

Swaybars I don't they will even notice you replaced them anyways. But again I doubt they will viod it but it's always good to check with the dealer 1st.

An EM (utec, ecutek or AP) will 100% viod you warrenty. No if ands or buts about that one.

I have a buddy who works at the local Subaru service department. Any mods to Engine, emissions or drivetrain void the warranty. But Subaru does offer a catback exhaust from SPT that is $450.00. Down here they charge $100 to put it on and it does NOT void the warranty that way. It's pretty throaty and adds between 5-10 HP and torque (based on what he has told me). That's what he did and I am doing myself next week.

I hope that helps. I'm new here myself but have most of the same questions already to my buddy.
    Thanks
    Chris

Yes, it will be tough not voiding warranty with these mods.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

question might be late but when i got my Wrx 04 they told me about SPT so any tunning product by them does not void the warranty ? like the cat-bacl, cuz if for example i want ot put a HKS or turboxs then would they void the warranty?

i dont see how it would void the warrenty. i mean its a cat back. and also i think if you can get them to put it on then it would be okay. also the spt exhuast is only warrented for a year

but i am wondering the same thing about this. there was a thread about all the thing subaru will look for in your engine but i can't find it

also when i got my car the gave me a brouchur with all spt tuning parts, like filters, intake , springs etc. does that mean they are installing things like that if its made by SPT, also thought that an intake would void warranty !

why would they give you the opinion to buy an intake if yo have to get your ecu tuned for it? that i dunno . i really want to drop this hoe. because how could that void my warrenty ? the thign im worried is for my engine really everythgin else would be free game to me. i mean i already cnaged my head unit got tint. alarm. and subs

i agree 100%, hope someone has an idea and can fill us in,, well they gave me the cataloug with all those tunning things in it, i dono----- very confused

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCamel
    also when i got my car the gave me a brouchur with all spt tuning parts, like filters, intake , springs etc. does that mean they are installing things like that if its made by SPT, also thought that an intake would void warranty !
    yep. It says so on the boxes of the stuff when you buy it.

Confusing indeed, when I got mine told me they could put parts on and warrenty them for a year, and that were authorized dealers/tuners for TurboXS, and had a AWD dynopack dyno on hand there and could tune if desired. I guess dealerships vary a bit from one another and best way would be to get something in writing before you put if on to make sure some idiot there doesnt tell you its ok, then to find out its not.

I know this is a old thread. But I've been searching and instead of starting a new one I thought I'd just add to this one. So if I go out and buy a TBE and accessport from Cobb, something goes wrong with the car. I take the stock exhaust and put it back on, flash back to the stock ecu would they even be able to tell if I've done anything? I wouldn't think they'd be able to tell anything at all, but I can't find the info. I have a STI '04 stock right now...

Thanks

a seasoned tech should be able to tell relatively easily that the exhaust has recently been replaced.
    if you're talking about 05 they may be able to tell that the ecu has been reflashed, but they definately can tell if it's been reset recently.

add that to clutch/tire wear and yeah I'd bet that most techs could tell your car was modded/abused.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.