New to the WRX world!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the WRX world! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys jus wanted to say wassup and I just bought my frist wrx. It is a 2002 and is ...

New to the WRX world!

hey guys jus wanted to say wassup and I just bought my frist wrx. It is a 2002 and is blue. It has the subaru boost gauge, STi exhaust and a few STi interior parts. A few questions I have are regarding a BOV, all of my friends say it takes away HP because of not recirculating the air and i just wanted a word from the pros. So I get the car on monday since they are servicing it and pics will be up ASAP. So Hello everyone.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey, welcome! This is a great board to learn and have fun on. A BOV is a hot topic on this board. It is not a performance mod. As long as you are thinking that, it is ok. It only makes sound, which some of us like to hear. It does cause a very momentary rich condition, but this has never shown to have hurt anything. Some people argue that you could spend the money on a mod that actually makes horsepower, and that is true. It is what you want on your own car. It is very easy to install yourself, with basic tools. It doens't hurt, but doesn''t make it go faster either, just your preference on the noise. I hope I stated both sides so you can make your own informed decision. I really like my HKS SSQ BOV, and have had no problems with over a years use. I am sure you will get plenty of opinions, as well as ones telling you about the search button on the top of the forum screen, which lets you look up questions like this previously asked. Have fun!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

hmmmmm...... fresh meat....

hmmmmm......fresh waffles......

oh? BOVs don't increase performance thru the turbo charger? what about bleeder valves? isn't there some way to increase the amount of boost that the turbocharger makes or maybe increase the limit?

and welcome joe!
    ~Dayton, OH~
    2005 WRX-STi
    Platinum Silver Metallic

Yes, a boost controller, either electronic or manual, or something to control the waste gate. This is best done by aftermarket engine management, as you raise boost levels significantly above stock, you need to also raise fuel pressure/amount. Plenty of info around here on these subjects, please look around.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello..

welcome to the club !
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Hi & Welcome congrats on your 02
    Pete.

thanks everyone for the great welcome. What I still wanted to hear is not if a bov adds performance but if it has negative effects?

I Support ClubWRX
    From the First Mods sticky in Engine Performance. Read up, it'll answer lots of beginner questions...

Blow off valve on a stock engine
    Pros:
    Cool sound

Cons:
    Run rich between shifts
    Could cause long term engine problems
    Not necessary until you're running 20+lbs of boost
    Decreased gas mileage

Blow off valve on a modified engine w/ turbo upgrade
    Pros:
    Ability to hold more boost (20+lbs)
    Cool sound -- commonly reffered to as a "show off valve"
    Give yourself some deserved bling bling for running an upgraded turbo

Cons:
    Still might run rich, but with engine management you could help to tune that problem out.
    Still could cause long term engine problems...but when you've done everything to upgrade your turbo, you're running that risk anyway.
    Decreased gas mileage - due also to added fuel (larger injectors) w/ engine management to feed the upgraded turbo more air and fuel.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Stock intake & BOV are fine. The bits just before and after the turbo are another thing ...

welcome to the club
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

new 03 wrx owner

of course everyone in this club knows how i feel... i love my new car and i will own it forever. im new to the tuning world and would dig it if i could get some tips on the easiest and least expensive ways to put a couple more horses in the stables...thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.