Prospective STI Buyer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Prospective STI Buyer within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings all. I currently own a 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V and am in the process of finding it's replacement ...

Prospective STI Buyer

Greetings all. I currently own a 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V and am in the process of finding it's replacement for the end of this year. I live in Cali so I'm at my limit on what I can do to it (no smog check passing turbo, header, etc.) so the STi is at the forefront for my next car. My buddy has a regular '04 WRX and I loved it...so I can only imagine how the STi must feel. I'm hoping though that people here can shed some light on any negative issues I can factor in. For example I looked at Mitsubishi Lancer Evos but there are horror stories on getting warranty work done if you touch anything. Anything that can be pointed out ahead of time would be a help. I may even consider used so if there were any common defects or quality issues in the '04s that would be great to know also. I hear the regular WRXs suffer from bad trannys...just like Nissan. Anyways, hopefully I can get insight. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

STi is a grat buy. I got mine used for $25.7.

Unlike the trannys in the WRX, the STi 6MT is bulletproof. There are really no major issues that I am aware of other than suspension clunk that will be replaced under warranty.

Buy it!!
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    To date, there is not a single major issue with any year STi for the US. A few minor items that sometimes need to be taken care of:
    Strut noise (replace)
    Trunk Lock (align and tighten)
    Low transmission fluid (verify and fill)

For my car specifically, the only issues I've had are the trunk lock, I broke the raised center armrest the first day, and my boost gauge has nvever lit up at night. Just lazy about the last two and never bothered to fix them.
    There have been minor occurances of half shafts breaking, one instance each (that I'm aware of) of a tranny breaking and a center diff breaking. Some have also bent end links after installing aftermarket sway bars.

Other than that, the powertrain is rock solid, as is the suspension. Once you start modding though, be sure to provide excellent tuning, as this is key with our motors. As with all of the scoob boxer fours, individual cylinder lean/knock event can occur at throttle tip in and let up (usually number 4 cyl...closest to the turbo), and not be caught by the ECU due to it's quick and transitory nature. Subaru relieves this issue by providng extremely rich A/F ratios. Not a big issue, but for those that mod, you should be aware of it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Thanks

Thanks. Looks like I'm pretty sure the STI will be the next thing I get. It seems like it's made much better than the Spec V, even though mine hasn't suffered many of the problems, yet, that other Nissan owners have had. Our big probs are:

1) Very poor quality transmission that ends up grinding in third and requiring replacement.
    2) Intake runner screws (butterfly screws) working loose and getting sucked into engine, ruining spark plugs, and scoring cylinder walls
    3) Precat breaking apart and getting sucked back in engine, resulting in excessive oil consumption
    4) Bad ring seals (especially 2002)
    5) Poor MAF sensors that go bad, especially with CAI

Then there is the little things like super thin paint, rattles, clunky shifter, and little stuff like that.

I'm ready for an STI. The car comes with a bulk of the mods I'd want anyways, but I'm sure I'd add a CAI, coilovers, wheels, and some small things. How are service departments with respect to mods. Nissan is typically pretty good, dealer specific though. Any recommended web sites for low priced parts?
    Last edited by mikeynavy1; 04-06-2005 at 07:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynavy1
    Then there is the little things like super thin paint, rattles, clunky shifter, and little stuff like that.
    Thin paint and rattles are common on subaru's too. At least you're already used to it
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

welcome
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Looks like you have done some research, lots to learn here. Have fun.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

i traded my spec v for a STi over a year ago....I dont miss the sentra 1 bit.

id wait for the 06 sti

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.