Subaru WRX Forum banner

What do clutch problems REALLY feel like?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Matrix 1193 
#1 ·
I've had two Civics as my first cars and man, Honda is GOD for reliability. My '96 Civic hatchback has 140,000 miles and has not had any major problems (no mods), including clutch. Reading about the evo's clutch problems (and some on the sti) is something completely foreign to me.

Noob question: what DOES a "slipping clutch" or "broken clutch" feel like? Mushy? Grinding? Does it make noise while you're driving? Any input would be great.

P.S. I like how the evo looks over the sti but the sti seems to kick the evo's booty in reliability, warranty and dealer support.

#2 ·
I really wouldn't be giving Honda too much credit. out of 8 people i know with newer (~2000+) Honda's; 7 have major problems. I think Honda made a great name for themselves during the 90's and put out really reliable cars, but like most companies that increase in size and popularity rapidly, quality suffers.
Our clutch problems are no worse than other performance vehicle. If you look at a mustang forum, you'll find lots of burnt clutches. it's a wear item and powerful engines + AWD=wear (something, Honda knows nothing about :p ).
when a clutch slips the rpms will jump up but your acceleration is diminished/delayed. some times it will fluctuate, it will slip, catch, slip, etc. you could almost liken it to an automatic downshifting then eventually going.
I think the STI actually has a pretty solid clutch, I would take it over the WRX's any day.

#3 ·
BigClunke said:
I really wouldn't be giving Honda too much credit. out of 8 people i know with newer (~2000+) Honda's; 7 have major problems. I think Honda made a great name for themselves during the 90's and put out really reliable cars, but like most companies that increase in size and popularity rapidly, quality suffers.
Our clutch problems are no worse than other performance vehicle. If you look at a mustang forum, you'll find lots of burnt clutches. it's a wear item and powerful engines + AWD=wear (something, Honda knows nothing about :p ).
when a clutch slips the rpms will jump up but your acceleration is diminished/delayed. some times it will fluctuate, it will slip, catch, slip, etc. you could almost liken it to an automatic downshifting then eventually going.
I think the STI actually has a pretty solid clutch, I would take it over the WRX's any day.
i concur. if you suspect the clutch of slipping go on the highway and put it in 5th (or 6th) and hit the gas, rpm will rise w/o speed rising

#4 ·
Most common clutch issues with a WRX are the throughout bearing (if you can call it common). It makes a rattling noise under acceleration. As for a worn/slipping clutch, ditto what was said above. As for a broken clutch, thats easy...it will act like a really misalligned dogbox..can't get it in gear, almost impossible to shift.

I'm curious as to where you saw problems with the STi clutch. I haven't heard of any to date, even with high HP applications.

#5 ·
I'm curious as to where you saw problems with the STi clutch. I haven't heard of any to date, even with high HP applications.

My original post mentioned the evo having clutch problems, not the sti. That's one of the reasons I'm considering the subaru over the mitsubishi. Nevertheless, I wanted to know what clutch issues are actually like. Thanks for the input!

#7 ·
i would say a slipping clutch feels a little less painfull than fuel cut. Cause when my car gets hurt i get hurt. :rotfl:

I have a slipping clutch right now and it sucks when im at about 3k rpm and press the gas all the way it shoots up to 4k rpm and drops back down to about 3k rpm. :unhappy:

#8 ·
LT21 said:

My original post mentioned the evo having clutch problems, not the sti. That's one of the reasons I'm considering the subaru over the mitsubishi. Nevertheless, I wanted to know what clutch issues are actually like. Thanks for the input!
This is from SCC, i didn't do the test but it makes sense. There is too much heat transfer from the input shaft + block to the flywheel which then causes the clutch disk to over heat and fail causing a smorgus board of problems. Its a design flaw with mitsu. If you launch the evo the clutch will fail and its gonna run you 1400 for flywheel and clutch maybe, cheaper if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.