Tires?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tires? within the New England States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey all, Time to look at a new set of summer tires, last year's star specs just made it to ...

Tires?

Hey all,

Time to look at a new set of summer tires, last year's star specs just made it to the end when it was time to tune. I've been eyeing the Kumho Ecsta V720 to try something new but am getting mixed impressions about how well they hold up for a few autocrosses and a track day or two.

Or what are people's opinions on the Hankook R-S3 given the car is used as daily and occasional autocross? Will 245/40-17 fit the stock wheels?
    Last edited by WRX97; 04-06-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    2012 WRX Hatch #41
    -Perrin F/R Endlinks, RCE 25.5mm F/R sway bars, Perrin Front Strut Brace, Stoptech Street Performance Pads, StopTech Sport rotors (cryo treated), Stoptech STR600 Fluid
    -Cobb AP - Moon Performance pro-tune, GrimmSpeed Catted Downpipe, Cobb 725cc Injectors, Cobb High-Flow Fuel Pump, Cobb 3-port EBCS, PTP turbo blanket, gold wrapped GrimmSpeed turbo heatshield

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hankook RS3s/Bridgestone RE71Rs/ Dunlop ZII star specs will do you well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Hankook RS3s/Bridgestone RE71Rs/ Dunlop ZII star specs will do you well.

I ran the Dunlops last year and really liked them, but was hoping to maybe save a bit of money for how long the tires will last me (at most a summer). I've heard nothing but good things about the RS3s for autocross, but since they aren't made in the stock size, I had heard running a 245/40-17 will work??
    2012 WRX Hatch #41
    -Perrin F/R Endlinks, RCE 25.5mm F/R sway bars, Perrin Front Strut Brace, Stoptech Street Performance Pads, StopTech Sport rotors (cryo treated), Stoptech STR600 Fluid
    -Cobb AP - Moon Performance pro-tune, GrimmSpeed Catted Downpipe, Cobb 725cc Injectors, Cobb High-Flow Fuel Pump, Cobb 3-port EBCS, PTP turbo blanket, gold wrapped GrimmSpeed turbo heatshield

+1 for RE-71R's

A little loud on the street, but other than that, a stellar tire.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

Quote Originally Posted by ConBroMitch View Post
    +1 for RE-71R's

A little loud on the street, but other than that, a stellar tire.
    I had heard the RE-71Rs didn't last very long compared to the star spec?
    2012 WRX Hatch #41

RE-71R is the faster AutoX tire, the star specs are not too far behind and should last longer.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    RE-71R is the faster AutoX tire, the star specs are not too far behind and should last longer.
    This.

RS3s will neither last as long as the star specs nor will be as fast around the course as either, but they will lighten the load on your wallet and provide better wet grip.

2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This.

RS3s will neither last as long as the star specs nor will be as fast around the course as either, but they will lighten the load on your wallet and provide better wet grip.

Where have you seen the RS3 having better wet grip? The tire rack test shows the RE71R to perform better than the RS3 in the wet as well.
    Tire Test Results : Testing the Newest Extreme Performance Summer Tires: Witnessing the Evolution of the Species

Even the customer reviews show the Potenza as the better wet tire, altho I would take those with a grain of salt.

Where have you seen the RS3 having better wet grip? The tire rack test shows the RE71R to perform better than the RS3 in the wet as well.
    Tire Test Results : Testing the Newest Extreme Performance Summer Tires: Witnessing the Evolution of the Species

Even the customer reviews show the Potenza as the better wet tire, altho I would take those with a grain of salt.
    So the general consensus is Star specs will last longer?
    2012 WRX Hatch #41

Out of the 3 yes, there are other tires that will last longer and have plenty of grip. Re-11 are great tires, they will last longer but will be slower then those tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of the 3 yes, there are other tires that will last longer and have plenty of grip. Re-11 are great tires, they will last longer but will be slower then those tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The RE-11's don't come in my size unfortunately
    2012 WRX Hatch #41

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.