Recommended mods for our area?

This is a discussion on Recommended mods for our area? within the New England States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys my name is Jake and I live in Massachusetts. I picked up a '13 wrx back in June ...

___

Recommended mods for our area?

Hey guys my name is Jake and I live in Massachusetts. I picked up a '13 wrx back in June of last year and I absolutely love it. I think this would probably be the best area to ask. I have tried to avoid posting a question, but this seems like it could be valuable to anyone else who comes along.

I am unfortunately very ignorant when it comes to cars for the most part. I can't explain what the name of anything is, but I can generally get the gist of it. I've really taken an interest in my WRX and have gone as far as to quit smoking cigarettes so I can free up my cash flow and put it towards better use.

So from what I've seen from reading around the forums is that you need to mod the hood scoop so water doesn't get in it? I'm not sure if this is a certain year or not. Its hard to figure out exactly what is going on when a lot of information is left out. Obviously I should have gotten all season floor mats and did not do that. I bought studded snow tires after bumping into my room mates car. His car died in the driveway and its not meant for two cars to be side by side. I made it out just fine, but trying to get back in the back end slid into him I don't want to damage my car any further, so I'm open to anything you might think I will need while living in the Berkshires!

Any help is appreciated. If you could categorize them as "get these immediately" to "not really important, but it would be in your best interest to get these eventually" that would be great. I'm not really sure if this is the right area for this so correct me if I'm wrong and I will delete the thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no need to modify the hood scoop. If anything, all you'd be doing is restricting airflow, so I would urge you not to do it.

Snow tires are the only "must" modification for life in the Northeast. Beyond that, drive the car long enough to get a feel for where you feel it's lacking, and then we can help guide you on how to improve it.

___
    Got'cha, great! thanks for the help man. Its kind of embarrassing not knowing anything. I'm glad I can rest assured that I'm not doing anything wrong in that aspect. I still have a little over 2 years on my warranty so I can't really do much from what I've read... I would like to get a cold air intake as it seems like the "best" first upgrade but I would have to tune it which would void out the warranty. I was considering getting an exhaust but I might just go for little things for the time being. I'm kind of picking through here every now and then through out the day. Regardless I am really happy with my WRX in its stock form so I'm not in any hurry. Anyways thanks again man I really appreciate your input.

Also sorry one last thing, but I let my car warm up for 10-15 minutes or so before driving it every time. Some people say this is good and gets the fluids pumping, and other people have told me it is bad to let it sit there like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    A short shifter is a relatively inexpensive modification that shouldn't cause any warranty issues. It completely livens up the car, and you'll benefit from you every time you have to change a gear. If you're interested, we're doing a tax season sale on these right now.

Starting your car and letting it idle honestly does nothing but waste gas. It allows coolant and engine oil to warm up, but other fluids aren't getting heated (e.g., transmission oil, diff oil, etc.). Unless I have snow/ice to remove, my car is started for 30 seconds or less before I start driving.

___
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF Tuning View Post
    A short shifter is a relatively inexpensive modification that shouldn't cause any warranty issues. It completely livens up the car, and you'll benefit from you every time you have to change a gear. If you're interested, we're doing a tax season sale on these right now.

Starting your car and letting it idle honestly does nothing but waste gas. It allows coolant and engine oil to warm up, but other fluids aren't getting heated (e.g., transmission oil, diff oil, etc.). Unless I have snow/ice to remove, my car is started for 30 seconds or less before I start driving.

Awesome man, thanks for filling me in on that! I have the premium model so it already came with a short shifter. I was thinking maybe some little cosmetic stuff. A different license plate frame thats red/black, maybe some red LED in the footwell, mudflaps possibly, I don't know. I don't want to go overboard and turn into a "ricer" so I don't want it to be to flashy or anything. I think shes a beauty as is but would really like to get into it a bit more. Any suggestions? I'm only looking to spend maybe $100 at the moment (which isn't much) but would save up towards something better. Your input is appreciated, thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ___ View Post
    Awesome man, thanks for filling me in on that! I have the premium model so it already came with a short shifter. I was thinking maybe some little cosmetic stuff. A different license plate frame thats red/black, maybe some red LED in the footwell, mudflaps possibly, I don't know. I don't want to go overboard and turn into a "ricer" so I don't want it to be to flashy or anything. I think shes a beauty as is but would really like to get into it a bit more. Any suggestions? I'm only looking to spend maybe $100 at the moment (which isn't much) but would save up towards something better. Your input is appreciated, thanks again
    If you budget is that small and you are looking for northeast specific things that might help, I would go with the mudflaps. Helps keep the sand/rocks from chipping your paint up. I have the Rally Armor mudflaps and love them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! So, you have a stock car and $100 to burn? Get shifter bushings. Best bang for your buck, period. Not too difficult to install yourself if you follow the myriad of DIY guides all over the internet.

PM WTF Tuning in the replies above for a great quote.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Welcome! So, you have a stock car and $100 to burn? Get shifter bushings. Best bang for your buck, period. Not too difficult to install yourself if you follow the myriad of DIY guides all over the internet.
    Not to jack the thread, but I've been so confused by this. If you got the SPT short shifter from the factory, aren't bushings included?

<---- noob as well :P

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    Not to jack the thread, but I've been so confused by this. If you got the SPT short shifter from the factory, aren't bushings included?

<---- noob as well :P
    I haven't compared the two side by side, but the opinion of those who have is that Kartboy bushings are a worthwhile upgrade over even the factory short throw. I'm not sure if the factory short through kit includes the SPT bushings or not, but it didn't used to.

Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy?
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

___
    I haven't compared the two side by side, but the opinion of those who have is that Kartboy bushings are a worthwhile upgrade over even the factory short throw. I'm not sure if the factory short through kit includes the SPT bushings or not, but it didn't used to.

Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy?

PM WTF Tuning in the replies above for a great quote.

I'm going to have to check this out more at a later time. I've been up since 1am and its a bit after 6pm est and I've had my daughter since I got out of work at 9, long story short I'm pretty beat. I took a look at that thread but I'm going to have to do some googling to understand what is going on. I'm not sure what the bushings are but I am definitely interested in learning about them and taking advice from the people who are willing to give it. When I read "install yourself" I would love to do this, as I'd like to start getting to know my car a bit more. Some worry free projects would be nice! but a major concern is voiding my warranty. If I'm doing it myself I think that would be an issue. Also are these considered "aftermarket" parts?

Also I'm going to be getting a new bumper once summer hits. I read around that the 11-13 wrx/sti front bumper was poorly made. Does this mean I should consider an aftermarket bumper? I went to my local dealership and asked about getting a new bumper, they told me it would be around $600 (which I've put cash aside for) and they would be willing to meet the price. So potentially I could find a bumper online but it would have to be subaru certified, or go with the aftermarket one. Sorry for all the questions, once again I appreciate your wisdom
    Last edited by ___; 02-21-2014 at 03:26 PM.

I too went through the fears of voiding my warranty. I've come to the conclusion though, you pay to play. That being said, I've gathered that doing mods to your car won't completely void your warranty on the entire car. But it might strengthen the case that the big bad SOA will deny your claim, should you need to cash in on a warranty. But this is also all relative. I think it's unlikely that SOA (and by SOA I mean Subaru of America) will deny a warranty claim on your engine if the only mod you did was like tint your windows, or something unrelated of that type.

Speaking of window tints and warranty, it's also good to follow up with wherever you purchased your car from and see if they're "mod friendly". I'm lucky being here in the NW and most dealerships here seem to work with me. Case in point: my driver side window was rolling up extremely slow after I put aftermarket tint. I went to go get it checked out at my dealership, and they pointed to the tint. But I used the tint company they recommended. So I went to the tint company, and they pointed back to Subaru. The Subaru master tech wouldn't proceed any further until the tint was removed, but the tint company was going to charge me if they removed the tint and it turns out to be the motor (they would charge me to put the tint back on).

This quickly grew into a finger pointing match, and I eventually turned to the dealership and asked if they would help me out because I felt like I was playing musical chairs and I didn't want to be the last one without a chair. So the customer service department at the dealership told me to have the tint company remove the tint, and if it wasn't the tint that was causing the issue, they would cover the costs of putting it back on.

Turns out, after removing the tint, it looks like it was the tint as I've been driving a tintless driver-side window car for 2 months with no slowness on rolling the window.

Anyways, long story short, it's all case dependent, but doing mods here and there won't void the ENTIRE warranty of your car (within reason...)

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm going to have to check this out more at a later time. I've been up since 1am and its a bit after 6pm est and I've had my daughter since I got out of work at 9, long story short I'm pretty beat. I took a look at that thread but I'm going to have to do some googling to understand what is going on. I'm not sure what the bushings are but I am definitely interested in learning about them and taking advice from the people who are willing to give it. When I read "install yourself" I would love to do this, as I'd like to start getting to know my car a bit more. Some worry free projects would be nice! but a major concern is voiding my warranty. If I'm doing it myself I think that would be an issue. Also are these considered "aftermarket" parts?
    Well, considering Subaru themselves offer stiffer bushings, I wouldn't fear a denied warranty claim, but opinions vary dealer to dealer. That said, bushings are pretty idiot-proof. If they're installed wrong, you can't shift, period, so it's not like a slight mis-alignment would slowly cause an issue over time; you'll know immediately if there's an issue. Just take your time and follow the writeups.

Also I'm going to be getting a new bumper once summer hits. I read around that the 11-13 wrx/sti front bumper was poorly made. Does this mean I should consider an aftermarket bumper? Sorry for all the questions, once again I appreciate your wisdom
    Uh, what? If by poorly made you mean the awful Subaru paint (all over the car, not just the bumper), sure, but the bumper plastic itself is just that: plastic. Not sure where you're reading these things...
    As far as the paint goes, there's not much you can preemptively do about it, just accept it as a cost-cutting measure to reach the WRX's target price point.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

___
    lmao dang man, that is funny it must really annoy you. Window tint sounds like a nice idea too. How much did that end up costing you?

Well, considering Subaru themselves offer stiffer bushings, I wouldn't fear a denied warranty claim, but opinions vary dealer to dealer. That said, bushings are pretty idiot-proof. If they're installed wrong, you can't shift, period, so it's not like a slight mis-alignment would slowly cause an issue over time; you'll know immediately if there's an issue. Just take your time and follow the writeups.

Uh, what? If by poorly made you mean the awful Subaru paint (all over the car, not just the bumper), sure, but the bumper plastic itself is just that: plastic. Not sure where you're reading these things...
    As far as the paint goes, there's not much you can preemptively do about it, just accept it as a cost-cutting measure to reach the WRX's target price point.
    What do you mean awful subaru paint? I watched youtube videos to try to see what people were doing for replacements etc. This is the problem with the internet and trying to find info. some people talk out their ass. Some people are firm believers in one thing but not in the other, though each way has its benefits etc. To someone like myself who doesn't understand what half the stuff means it gets confusing -_-

I will just get a replacement for the one I already had. Also is there anywhere you guys go specifically to buy stuff at the best price? I've tried checking ebay and craigslist but not much out there. The sites I get redirected to don't seem that great either, or don't have what I'm looking for. I'm gonna do some digging now I guess while I've got the time

I'm gonna call my dealership on Monday and see what they have to say about it and how they feel about mods.

So I just watched a video about the kartboy bushings and installation etc. Doesn't look to complicated but I'm lacking the proper tools, I don't even have a jack or anything. I do know a guy I went to school with who would probably be down to chill and let me use his tools and stuff. So I gain more precise shifts? Might as well do both the front and the back while I'm in there right? I'm still nervous about it and I definitely want to make sure I can do something like this w/o warranty issues >_> or I'll drive it until 20k and then say **** it because I'm only at 7500 miles atm :\

oh yeah I got my first oil change at 6,000 miles because the dealership I bought from offers free oil changes for life but at certain intervals. I have gone to get the fluids filled up twice. Also once a while ago probably around 4-5k miles I turned my car off went and did some stuff, when i came back it wouldn't get out of first gear. Like the clutch was stuck or something. so I could start it but it wouldn't pop out of gear into neutral. haven't had that problem again but no idea what caused it. I should probably get brakes soon I would think?

also your sig is kinda bone chilling. "gave its life for mine 6/2013" :'( RIP. I like your last post about it, she did what she could for you for sure
    Last edited by ___; 02-22-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    '13 OBP stock WRX
    Xbox gamertag: Jett

I Support ClubWRX
    What do you mean awful subaru paint? I watched youtube videos to try to see what people were doing for replacements etc. I will just get a replacement for the one I already had.
    You haven't explained why you're replacing the bumper at all. Did you crack it or something? If that's the case, take it to a body shop and get it fixed. I don't understand why you're looking for a replacement bumper. The factory Subaru paint has been widely criticized for its poor quality: easily chipping, thin spray, etc.

Also is there anywhere you guys go specifically to buy stuff at the best price? I've tried checking ebay and craigslist but not much out there.
    As stated before, contact WTF Tuning, they were the first to respond to you, and are an excellent vendor. Ask and see what they can do for you.

I'm gonna call my dealership on Monday and see what they have to say about it and how they feel about mods.
    They aren't going to like that question, as there's no "one size fits all" answer. As stated before, it's highly dependent on the situation and people involved.

So I just watched a video about the kartboy bushings and installation etc. Doesn't look to complicated but I'm lacking the proper tools, I don't even have a jack or anything. I do know a guy I went to school with who would probably be down to chill and let me use his tools and stuff. So I gain more precise shifts? Might as well do both the front and the back while I'm in there right?
    Yes, best to do both while you're at it. The front bushings are much easier to do than the rear one.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

___
    You haven't explained why you're replacing the bumper at all. Did you crack it or something? If that's the case, take it to a body shop and get it fixed. I don't understand why you're looking for a replacement bumper. The factory Subaru paint has been widely criticized for its poor quality: easily chipping, thin spray, etc.

As stated before, contact WTF Tuning, they were the first to respond to you, and are an excellent vendor. Ask and see what they can do for you.

They aren't going to like that question, as there's no "one size fits all" answer. As stated before, it's highly dependent on the situation and people involved.

Yes, best to do both while you're at it. The front bushings are much easier to do than the rear one.
    I have no idea how but there is a straight up hole in it. does not make any sense to me how it even got there. :\ I'll shoot WTF tuning a message and see what they've got. thanks :P
    '13 OBP stock WRX
    Xbox gamertag: Jett